IGNORED

Everything on the Botswana / South Africa Tour (Merged)

B-Rizzle

Ok, my bad then.

For two weeks.

Your argument for better community engagement isn't one I'd content, but putting a target on this particular preseason trip, regardless where it is, seems odd to me that's all.

By all means, let us lobby for more community work, but of the belief there is a significant connection between the issues, or that it is bell weather for that aspect as a whole seems misguided.

There is opportunity at home first.

For two weeks the players and community trust are in a foreign land.

The players and community trust have failed to get together at kids coaching sessions e.g Keynsham for entire terms even for a hour.

This trip is different to others e.g Latvia in effort and its context. I would like to some of the same intensity of this mere "two weeks" focused on the community here even if it is just a few days.

For two weeks the players and community trust are in a foreign land.

The players and community trust have failed to get together at kids coaching sessions e.g Keynsham for entire terms even for a hour.

This trip is different to others e.g Latvia in effort and its context. I would like to some of the same intensity of this mere "two weeks" focused on the community here even if it is just a few days.

Why though?  Because there is some effort being made to contribute there by the community trust?  So what?  Doesn't mean they won't do stuff when they get back.  If anything, something involving outreach in the 'context' you've mentioned should be a positive, showing the extent to which it can be taken, and perhaps encouraging further, closer-to-home action.  Doesn't taint the organisation just because they've gone to Africa.

And what is this obsession with players showing their faces at events?  Community outreach isn't just some 'celeb' photo shoot opportunity; it's about City as a club showing its willingness to engage with the local community.  We're looking to build connections that will, ideally, last longer than most players careers with us, so some of the squad taking time to wander over and shake some hands is great, and not a BAD thing, but hardly a barometer for the level and intensity of engagement.

You clearly have a problem with this trip; that's cool, you're entitled to.  But, personally, think there is little wrong with it, and a lot of good likely to come from it in the long and short terms.

And what is this obsession with players showing their faces at events?

Pity players couldn't make it over to the park again last weekend for one of Bristols biggest kids tournaments.

You might think Jumbo Jet is a human hamburger but to the little ones he is their star.

It makes a real difference.

Its a good thing that.

You might think Jumbo Jet is a human hamburger but to the little ones he is their star.

It makes a real diiference.

Fair enough.

Was good of the first team to spend so much time with fans post-Portishead, but I guess I see the badge and the shirt as more long term symbols of loyalty, and what we want the youngsters keen on being associated with than the players, many of whom move every 12/24 months.

But, like I said, fair enough. 

I understand your sentiment.

And yes it is great to help others in their community and broaden the City name.

However...the only reason we are going to Botswana, is to open doors further for financial benefit.

Hargreaves Lansdown and connections with Bostswana Diamonds Plc and further companies their, can only help further build their empire. Visiting dignitaries from the Botswana Embassy to AG and making ' business connections' are the main reason we are going to Botswana. It's a very wealthy growing country and any businessman worth his salt is their.

There are just as many poor people in Bristol and surrounding areas as in Botswana. Even the 40 to 50 year olds their, are predicted to have a bigger financial pension than in the UK. It's not a 'poor' country when compared to other African Countries.

Yes it's great for the team to gel and get away and work hard...for the Community trust to do some 'charity work'...but that could all be done in any other part of the world.

There is no hiding the fact, that the only reason we are in Botswana, is to 'open doors' financially and Hargreaves Lansdowns connections their....and if that means the Club going their and the Trust doing some ''charity' work...then so be it...but lets not make out it's for other reasons.

May I add... I'm not against Charity work abroad... I've done it myself in Sri Lanka and India.

All imho of course... ;)

It may well be an honest opinion but to me , it sounds like total fantasy.

Pity players couldn't make it over to the park again last weekend for one of Bristols biggest kids tournaments.

It makes a real difference.

Apparently Scott Murray, Louis Carey (ok, an ex-employee) and a City scout were present at the Ashton Park kids tournament. So, not quite the "non-representation" you've made out...

• Admin

Apparently Scott Murray, Louis Carey (ok, an ex-employee) and a City scout were present at the Ashton Park kids tournament. So, not quite the "non-representation" you've made out...

Scott Murray was on the plane to Botswana

What so you expected the squad members to have attended less than 24 hours before a flight to Botswana??

I'm pretty certain if the Ashton Park Tournament was prior to or post Botswana trip, there would have been plenty of representation from City 

• Admin

What so you expected the squad members to have attended less than 24 hours before a flight to Botswana??

I'm pretty certain if the Ashton Park Tournament was prior to or post Botswana trip, there would have been plenty of representation from City 

If you read back the person who raised the issue was referring along those lines

I hope a City scout was there as one of Whitchurches coaches was, or is and they were playing! Spotted faces from other clubs as well.

Maybe I was involved on both saturday and sunday. I heard Scott was sighted briefly at some point on friday, but maybe there was no real obvious representation am - pm. Last year? I was there again and made similar comments regarding kids tournaments and Community engagement.

Ashton Boys may not want BCFC openly around, others may have the same view but my experience is City are not as evident around grass roots football as I first thought they would be and there is opportunity to improve. The park itself is an opportunity for months to run coaching sessions, meeting the "stars", and of course sell merchandise.

The Community Trust were at Yate, new female coach joined recently from a former job with the FA. Well done City.

The sobering thing is there were kids wearing "Fire and Passion" tracksuits from Cardiff's development cente on view saturday and sunday, and this included kids from South Bristol. City have their work cut out even in BS3.

Archived