IGNORED

How Long Can You Ignore Will Gidman?

Fordy62

In all seriousness, when taking into account the difference in standard of cricket, Trego and Overton and probably having better seasons.

Plus, if you watch Gidman bowl then he is clearly short of international standard. You need a bit more about you to get in the England team. He is WAY behind Anderson, Broad, Plunkett, Stokes, Jordan and Finn. Imagine what these players would get it if they played second division cricket every week.

Or James Hildreth.

To be fair he had his chance with the Lions but never really kicked on. He's only really lived up to his potential in the 2010 season.

But yes... I think unless you play for Yorks, Lancs, Notts, Middlx or Surrey then you've got no chance.  Compton has been treated appallingly by England and I sense that Ali might get equally dumped on in search of Swanns replacement.

Re C.Overton & Trego.. I'd say Gregory is the one that really has potential to get a winter call up for the Lions...

To be fair he had his chance with the Lions but never really kicked on. He's only really lived up to his potential in the 2010 season.

But yes... I think unless you play for Yorks, Lancs, Notts, Middlx or Surrey then you've got no chance.  Compton has been treated appallingly by England and I sense that Ali might get equally dumped on in search of Swanns replacement.

Re C.Overton & Trego.. I'd say Gregory is the one that really has potential to get a winter call up for the Lions...

agree with that,

Its a shame the old boys club seems to be going strong really

I agree, and only hope that he does not return 'damaged' like J.Overton.

He plays lower division cricket.

Perhaps he can ask Peter Trego about not getting a chance at international level because he plays in the West Country?

Nothing to do with living in the west country

Hitting the odd big score against average CC bowling on somersets wicket  is a long way off International cricket

If he had been playing for another county he wouldnt have even been on your radar

The last test team had players from these counties playing:

Essex x 1

Middlesex x 1

Durham x 1

Lancashire x 2

Warwickshire x 1

Notts x 1

Worcestershire x 1

Sussex x 1

Yorkshire x 2

So 6 played for the counties you named and Surrey, who you named, had none.

Peddling a myth?

• Admin

Nothing to do with living in the west country

Hitting the odd big score against average CC bowling on somersets wicket  is a long way off International cricket

If he had been playing for another county he wouldnt have even been on your radar

Behave !

He has consistently done it home and away from Taunton - surely bowling on the "batting friendly" wicket is even more of an acheivement?

Unfortunately he only got to play in the Hong Kong 7's for England

The last test team had players from these counties playing:

Essex x 1

Middlesex x 1

Durham x 1

Lancashire x 2

Warwickshire x 1

Notts x 1

Worcestershire x 1

Sussex x 1

Yorkshire x 2

So 6 played for the counties you named and Surrey, who you named, had none.

Peddling a myth?

Fair point, but I still think those at the traditional clubs get looked at first.

Behave !

He has consistently done it home and away from Taunton - surely bowling on the "batting friendly" wicket is even more of an acheivement?

Unfortunately he only got to play in the Hong Kong 7's for England

Ah the Taunton is a road theory.

It's not been a road for 5-6 years now.

I'm a Worcester fan and amazed that Ali has been given a chance. To be fair, he's done ok so far, but lets not kid ourselves he's ever going to replace Swann

The test team is in a mess right now, if Gidman came in and got 20 runs and smashed around the park it might just kill him, a la Kerrigan

At that point I'll let you get back to your Glos-Somerset squabble :)

I'm a Worcester fan and amazed that Ali has been given a chance. To be fair, he's done ok so far, but lets not kid ourselves he's ever going to replace Swann

The test team is in a mess right now, if Gidman came in and got 20 runs and smashed around the park it might just kill him, a la Kerrigan

the problem is that we don't prepare spinning wickets in this country its all about the medium pace, we are never going to prodcue a truely world class spinner in this country as they simply don't bowl enough overs to refine their art, in turn they we never be given a fair chance at international level as thats the only place they can learn their trade,

It also effects englands batting and their inabilty to play well against a spinner, they just don't face enough of that sort of bowling at first class level,

I don't think Ali was picked as a spinner, I think that in the absence of a credible spinner to pick we decided to pick a batsmen who could bowl some spin and hope for the best. In that respect, it actually worked ok

Ali has done a decent job but he has to be dropped for a spinner who will actually bowl when the game is live. Buttler has to come in and bat 6 with Stokes at 7, Broad 8, Plunkett 9, Jimmy 10 and the spinner 11.

the problem is that we don't prepare spinning wickets in this country its all about the medium pace, we are never going to prodcue a truely world class spinner in this country as they simply don't bowl enough overs to refine their art, in turn they we never be given a fair chance at international level as thats the only place they can learn their trade,

It also effects englands batting and their inabilty to play well against a spinner, they just don't face enough of that sort of bowling at first class level,

There was a good piece on the beeb (I think) at the weekend about how as kids spinners get carted because they are trying to find the line, length, spin etc and get pulled after a couple of overs to get the seamers back on. Summed it up nicely, how many times have we all seen it playing through the years? As you say though, you play to your strengths, why prepare wickets for spinners when the conditions are completely against you. Neutral venues for test matches perhaps?

I don't think Ali was picked as a spinner, I think that in the absence of a credible spinner to pick we decided to pick a batsmen who could bowl some spin and hope for the best. In that respect, it actually worked ok

Agree with your point, it has worked out ok. I wasn't saying that Ali had been picked as a spinner though, I was alluding to the fact that I get the feeling the selectors were hoping that he'd start finishing innings off and they think they've unearthed a gem. Not the way to do it!

Ali has done a decent job but he has to be dropped for a spinner who will actually bowl when the game is live. Buttler has to come in and bat 6 with Stokes at 7, Broad 8, Plunkett 9, Jimmy 10 and the spinner 11.

Not sure who's corn flakes Buttler has pissed on, but to say he isn't ready for test match cricket is bollocks. Prior is one of the 'lads' though, he seems to be undroppable, bad calf and all. Kerrigan wasn't ready for test match cricket, but they picked him

There was a good piece on the beeb (I think) at the weekend about how as kids spinners get carted because they are trying to find the line, length, spin etc and get pulled after a couple of overs to get the seamers back on. Summed it up nicely, how many times have we all seen it playing through the years? As you say though, you play to your strengths, why prepare wickets for spinners when the conditions are completely against you. Neutral venues for test matches perhaps?

Agree with your point, it has worked out ok. I wasn't saying that Ali had been picked as a spinner though, I was alluding to the fact that I get the feeling the selectors were hoping that he'd start finishing innings off and they think they've unearthed a gem. Not the way to do it!

Not sure who's corn flakes Buttler has pissed on, but to say he isn't ready for test match cricket is bollocks. Prior is one of the 'lads' though, he seems to be undroppable, bad calf and all. Kerrigan wasn't ready for test match cricket, but they picked him

I never want to see a pitch like trent bridge again, that was made purly to make the test last 5 days so the ECB can get their money, (test cricket is to expensive now),

The pitches we prepaired from 2005 (I think) up until last year we the best, come day for the pitch was a spinning pitch and we got to see the best of Swan,

First class cricket need to do that (all be it for day 3 of a 4 day match), that way young spinners can finally bowl the overs required to actually learn their trade effectivly,

it will only do good for england in the long run, our young batsmen will become more effective playing against spin and our young spinners will fianlly get the playing time they need,

The best spinner england have is monty who just can't be picked due to personal issues, after that we struggle to really find a decent one, there is no point in bring Kerrigan back if the pitch is flat as a pancake as he will just be smacked about like he was down under,

The ECB need to stop thinking about money and getting games to last 5 days and more about giving our players the devlopment they require to play test cricket

If we continue to chop and change looking for a swan replacement we'll end up in the mess that Australia got in after Warne retired. Havent they tried something like 15 different spinners since he quit?

Archived