IGNORED

English National Anthem

riddlesdown red

It has probably been mentioned already but I happen to think that GSTQ being used as the English anthem is a little patronising to the Scots, Welsh and N. Irish.. by that i mean domineeringly so. By having L of H & G we would surely remove that undertone in one moment. GSTQ should, henceforth, be used solely for UK occasions. I think all parts of the these islands would approve of that.

Did i mention The Undertones?.. not a bad shout mind !

It's not very inspiring is it.

It's the kind of Edwardian parlour song you can see Hinge and Bracket singing at one of their Stackton Tressell soirees.

Written 30 years after the end of the Edwardian period. Its inspiration IMHO comes from its celebration of the best of things English whilst leaving out the belligerent clap_trap

Out of curiosity, what was the problem with the 2003 Turkey game?

Earlier in that qualification campaign there had been trouble at England's games in Bratislava and Sunderland, and there was concern at the FA that we could be kicked out of Euro 2004 if there were any further flashpoints. The FA therefore refused to take an allocation of tickets for Macedonia away in September 2003, and also for Turkey a month later - and the FA and Foreign Office put out all manner of statements strongly discouraging fans to travel.

Several hundred England fans travelled to Skopje (and got in to the match) but for Istanbul, it was much, much tighter. There were British police at the main ports of entry in Turkey, and dozens of fans who tried to enter the country were arrested and deported. A very small handful, however, got through and also managed to make it into the stadium - probably fewer than 20, but that number included some whose run of consecutive games went back to 1988 (the longest possible run, as there were no travelling England fans at Saudi Arabia v England in Riyadh, as no visas were issued).

Earlier in that qualification campaign there had been trouble at England's games in Bratislava and Sunderland, and there was concern at the FA that we could be kicked out of Euro 2004 if there were any further flashpoints. The FA therefore refused to take an allocation of tickets for Macedonia away in September 2003, and also for Turkey a month later - and the FA and Foreign Office put out all manner of statements strongly discouraging fans to travel.

Several hundred England fans travelled to Skopje (and got in to the match) but for Istanbul, it was much, much tighter. There were British police at the main ports of entry in Turkey, and dozens of fans who tried to enter the country were arrested and deported. A very small handful, however, got through and also managed to make it into the stadium - probably fewer than 20, but that number included some whose run of consecutive games went back to 1988 (the longest possible run, as there were no travelling England fans at Saudi Arabia v England in Riyadh, as no visas were issued).

OK, Thanks for that.

It has probably been mentioned already but I happen to think that GSTQ being used as the English anthem is a little patronising to the Scots, Welsh and N. Irish.. by that i mean domineeringly so. By having L of H ; G we would surely remove that undertone in one moment. GSTQ should, henceforth, be used solely for UK occasions. I think all parts of the these islands would approve of that.

Did i mention The Undertones?.. not a bad shout mind !

Without a ball or shin being kicked hearing Northern Irelands fan sing God save the Queen is one of the finest things there are in International football unless it is being defiantly sung when down to ten v the Argies.

"We will show yous how to sing our anthem .." And Northern Ireland do.

A very small handful, however, got through and also managed to make it into the stadium - probably fewer than 20, but that number included some whose run of consecutive games went back to 1988 (the longest possible run, as there were no travelling England fans at Saudi Arabia v England in Riyadh, as no visas were issued).

I can't see that the chief Muslim state in the world - Saudi Arabia - would like our Christian national flag. Is that why no visas were issued to England fans ?????........

r-ENGLAND-large570.jpg

The FA therefore refused to take an allocation of tickets for Macedonia away in September 2003, and also for Turkey a month later - and the FA and Foreign Office put out all manner of statements strongly discouraging fans to travel.

Several hundred England fans travelled to Skopje (and got in to the match)

And shortly before kick off a St George was seen proudly rising up a flag pole alongside the flag of Macedonia stating SOUTH BRISTOL 3 LIONS BS3 cheered and clapped by the English who had made it who burst into God save the Queen ... Or so the legend goes.

I can't see that the chief Muslim state in the world - Saudi Arabia - would like our Christian national flag. Is that why no visas were issued to England fans ?????........

r-ENGLAND-large570.jpg

At around 1 minute 45 seconds in the following video, you can see some English fans inside the stadium in Riyadh celebrating the Tony Adams equaliser, and a couple waving Union Jacks - they'd have been expats and British Embassy staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDbLntNWobs

I couldn't tell you why the Saudi authorities decided against issuing visas but the reputation of England fans at the time may have been a factor.

(Incidentally, if England were to play in Saudi Arabia again, I would need a new passport as my current one has Israeli stamps).

Mightier yet!

I've seen Holst's house in 'nam but despite the several years I lived in Gloucester that's the first time I've heard Parry was from there. Ivor Gurney gets the odd mention.

Holst was my mother's music teacher. She was still tone deaf, bless her.

I don't think it actually has to mention England, just be patriotic about the country rather than being about one person.

Jerusalem is just a hymn - and one which uses quite complicated Victorian language. Do we really want to sing about "Dark Satanic Mills"? We're not all from Oldham!

"Dark Satanic mills" is allegedly a reference to chapels, not factories.

Archived