IGNORED

English National Anthem

riddlesdown red

Yes, GSTQ is Britain's National Anthem, but it was written when Bonnie Prince Charlie was leading a Scottish army towards London to replace King Georg with himself.

Verse six (hardly ever sung these days) makes it your duty as an Englishman to do in the nearest Scot. We still use it though as the anthem of the UK, not just England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/1571287/God-Save-the-Queen-lyrics.html

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the King

Interesting, I do not recall that verse.

Perhaps, if the 6th verse were to be introduced, this would be adopted.

I vow to thee my country and Jerusalem are 2 of three hymns for my wedding next week.

Jerusalem was one of the hymns at my wedding - I'm now divorced! :ph34r:

Best wishes for a fab day + happy future with Mrs Dicksy. :wub:

Do they still sing hymns in school? If so, at least the players should know the words to Jerusalem.

I'm a staunch Royalist, but I agree that GSTQ, is dull and tedious.

England should have it's own National Anthem (and parliament, for that matter), just as the other home nations do.

Jerusalem is certainly rousing, and would be a good choice.

That said, do we really want to "Build Jerusalem in England" ?

I would have thought of all the choices available, a disputed middle eastern religious hot spot is the last thing this country needs within it's borders !!

I Agree with most of you, Jerusalem would be the best choice by a long way. Rule Britannia is another GB anthem although it would be a damn sight better than God save the Queen (That song really sounds like a dirge)

Going slightly off topic but talking about Anthems, when was the last time you heard Abide by me sung like this at the FA Cup final?

Maybe it was the welsh boyos.. glorious.

Going slightly off topic but talking about Anthems, when was the last time you heard Abide by me sung like this at the FA Cup final?

Maybe it was the welsh boyos.. glorious.

And now you've made me cry.

Elgar - Nimrod...no need for lyrics, if that doesn't rouse the soul, make the hairs stand up and make you proud to be English, nothing will :)

Agreed, fantastic piece, has brought me to tears on occasions.

During the World Cup it was noticeable how many nations' anthems don't have lyrics, the Argies being the most noticeable.

Jesus christ our Football players can barely remember God save the queen can you imagine fhen trying to learn Jerusalem because i doubt hardly any of them know it..

True, but then the taff players manage to learn their national anthem, even in their daft language !

I, as an atheist and republican, would be happy to see the back of GSTQ which is a dreadful dirge.  Either Jerusalem or LOHAG would be a great improvement.  Don't tell anyone but I actually like the German national anthem - but only as a piece of music - honestly!

... as an atheist ... Either Jerusalem or LOHAG would be a great improvement.

Both of which still bang on about God, mind. Difficult to find anything appropriate that doesn't.

Well (Wow!).

I have just watched and listened to this and, frankly, I do not understand one word or note.

It must be a generation thing. 

You mean, you don't want to see Wayne Rooney attempting to use a theremin?!

I vow to thee my country and Jerusalem are 2 of three hymns for my wedding next week.

Jerusalem was one of the hymns at my wedding - I'm now divorced! :ph34r:

I had both at my wedding too mate

Not to put the hex on yours, my marriage lasted 6 years......good luck :)

Brilliant. So both people who had these are now divorced :laugh:. :)

Just to try and even it up a bit, I had Jerusalem at my wedding and we are still married 10 years later ;)

Archived