IGNORED

English National Anthem

riddlesdown red

Or This Is England by The Clash. The not real Clash admittedly, but a bunch of Bristolians + Strummer. Only decent song on the final album.

Actually any bloody song but turgid, cringeworthy, servile God Save The Queen, which ISN'T an English anthem. She's Queen of the UK, not just England.

By singing it, we subsume and deny our national identity.

It makes my skin crawl when I hear it at football.

Hear hear.

It's not just that for me though, I'm an aetheist so I won't be an hypocrit and sing, even got accused of not being patriotic because I wouldn't sing about some thing I don't believe in saving just one person because of their birth rite, not being religious doesn't mean I love my country less than any other person.

The problem is that you can be proud to be English without being a royalist. I would much prefer if we sang about our country than the monarch and I don't even hold any ill feeling towards the royal family.

I have an Irish/Scottish background but  I was born and raised in England, and always support England, BUT I am not a royalist, and would love an anthem that I really could join in with (I do sing it btw, just feel a bit uncomfortable doing so!)

When the Commonwealth games were held in Manchester we were using Land of Hope and Glory so it seems like they can't even make their mind up which one to use.

I'm not sure what we used in Delhi or Melbourne in the previous Commonwealth games.

For me, it has to be Land of Hope and Glory.

Which ever way you slice it though, God Save the Queen is awful for an English National Anthem. It hardly inspires the crowd with uplifting and motivational words.

Change it to anything that the England band can't play. Thankfully they appear to have stopped going to England away matches (they weren't in either Miami or Brazil for England's last 5 games) but sadly we will still have to listen to them at Wembley games, starting with Norway in five weeks.

As an aside, I got into a debate with a Welsh fan a few years ago about why the Welsh fans booed GSTQ when England played at the Millennium Stadium in 2005. His attempted 'moral high ground' explanation was that they object to other home nations using the national anthem of the United Kingdom, and that 'we should get our own anthem'. Unfortunately that argument fell down when it was pointed out to him that Wales played Northern Ireland in the same qualification campaign (for the world cup in Germany), that Northern Ireland also use GSTQ, and that the Wales fans didn't boo GSTQ when Northern Ireland played in Cardiff.

Edit: a little trivia question. Which country's national anthem is sung to the same tune as God Save The Queen, but with words in a different language? A clue: England played them a few years back (and it was slightly bizarre hearing the same tune played twice).

Change it to anything that the England band can't play. Thankfully they appear to have stopped going to England away matches (they weren't in either Miami or Brazil for England's last 5 games) but sadly we will still have to listen to them at Wembley games, starting with Norway in five weeks.

As an aside, I got into a debate with a Welsh fan a few years ago about why the Welsh fans booed GSTQ when England played at the Millennium Stadium in 2005. His attempted 'moral high ground' explanation was that they object to other home nations using the national anthem of the United Kingdom, and that 'we should get our own anthem'. Unfortunately that argument fell down when it was pointed out to him that Wales played Northern Ireland in the same qualification campaign (for the world cup in Germany), that Northern Ireland also use GSTQ, and that the Wales fans didn't boo GSTQ when Northern Ireland played in Cardiff.

Edit: a little trivia question. Which country's national anthem is sung to the same tune as God Save The Queen, but with words in a different language? A clue: England played them a few years back (and it was slightly bizarre hearing the same tune played twice).

Liechtenstein?

I've never liked Land of Hope and Glory, bit too Last Night of the Proms/ Ain't 'alf hot Mum (showing m age here!) so Jerusalem for me. Another that hasn't been mentioned but always brings a lump to my throat when sang at the FA cup, Abide With Me.

Good luck teaching Jerusalem to the morons on the England team. They can't even learn the words to one of the easiest songs in the history of music.

Imagine Rooney trying to sing "...countenance devine"

Even worse imagine Woy Hodgson trying to sing it......

So, you would prefer an irish anthem to a proper English one?? Really??

Land of Hope and Glory is the one for me, sorry if it offends stalwarts like 'S.Bcity'

I prefer the song, I would not want it as our anthem as it's Irish!!

Why would I be offended by you preferring Land of hope and glory?

Not my cup of tea but neither is Jeuruselum!

Archived