IGNORED

Fielding Flint Little And Wilbraham

southvillekiddy

What game were you watching flint class and feilding for the most of the game looked decent with some crucial saves one flapping incident but he did ok. Wilbraham did ok good header and good flick for me he needs to win a few more headers and put himself about a bit more but he's promising I won't complain if he nods in from little and Freeman's crosses consistently

Flint reminds me of Mertesacker a bit in looks and if his form carries on as he has started off this season he will remind me even more of the German who had a rancid first season with Arsenal but then seemed a different player last year. Flint has started off this campaign hopefully as he means to carry on. Impressive.

I thought we looked incredibly solid defensively today, especially as we were up against perhaps the best team in the division with a massive aerial threat up-front.  I don't think we could do too much about the goal and, one slight panicky scramble aside, I thought we otherwise scarcely seriously looked like conceding.

Little looked absolute quality and Wilbraham really surprised me.  Freeman showed great touches too.  All in all, that was a lot of cause for optimism.

Flint was tremendous today, best I've seen him play. Fielding seemed to gain confidence as the match went on, but the defence clearly have little confidence in him. Definitely concerning

As for Sheff Utd, I don't think they're that good a side, though it's obviously very early. We, however, should be up there this year. Defence needs organising properly and we drop too deep without the ball, but some of our attacking link up play was awesome. Freeman, Baldock and Wilbraham look like they're all on a similar wavelength and after a dodgy start Smith was decent. Wade Elliot was quality as always

Very encouraging start to the season

Flint saved us a lot of times today and even cleared off the line twice atleast. When was the last time you seen city play as well as they did against a top league 1 side. There's always going to be shaky moments in the first match of the season against one of our title contenders and when there's 6 new boys in the starting 11. I was bloody proud of the boys today. What a difference from the start of the last few seasons. 3 points on the board and hopefully many more to come. Stop the moaning and enjoy the ride.

I'm not a big fan of Flint...but he was my mom today. Good solid performance. If he continues in that vein he will contribute well this season.

I thought Little was immense...strong and direct. Something we've been missing for a long time. Much better than Maloney.

Smith pulled the strings at the back of midfield as well...very impressed. Both him and Pack will make us solid in front of the defence.

Wilbs was also fantastic...held up well and good understanding and distribution. Anticipated well too.

As for FF... he was bloody awful imho. Yes he made a couple of blocks...but he really does flap...and it was his uncertainty when punching that led to a period of increased pressure from Blades...it got their tails up. You could tell Flint was agitated with him.

He fills no one with confidence.

I thought today's performance summed up everything I've thought leading up to this game.

We need another GK, and someone else in Cunninghams position, to give cover and competition.

Other than that... I think we'll be ok.

I also hope we drop zonal marking at corners and set pieces...it doesn't work imho.

Just back. As others have covered most of my points il just say that flint was outstanding today! Fielding looked a tad suspect at times with crosses and kicking though, but did well with most he had to deal with. Motm would have been split between flint and wilbriham imo.

I'm not a big fan of Flint...but he was my mom today. Good solid performance. If he continues in that vein he will contribute well this season.

I thought Little was immense...strong and direct. Something we've been missing for a long time. Much better than Maloney.

Smith pulled the strings at the back of midfield as well...very impressed. Both him and Pack will make us solid in front of the defence.

Wilbs was also fantastic...held up well and good understanding and distribution. Anticipated well too.

As for FF... he was bloody awful imho. Yes he made a couple of blocks...but he really does flap...and it was his uncertainty when punching that led to a period of increased pressure from Blades...it got their tails up. You could tell Flint was agitated with him.

He fills no one with confidence.

I thought today's performance summed up everything I've thought leading up to this game.

We need another GK, and someone else in Cunninghams position, to give cover and competition.

Other than that... I think we'll be ok.

I also hope we drop zonal marking at corners and set pieces...it doesn't work imho.

A couple of blocks? one of those preserved all 3 points... it was a top draw save.

Poor for the goal we conceded so agree on the zonal marking but overall a very good performance and a superb result!!

Flint was an absolute rock.

A couple of blocks? one of those preserved all 3 points... it was a top draw save.

Poor for the goal we conceded so agree on the zonal marking but overall a very good performance and a superb result!!

Flint was an absolute rock.

I don't deny FF can make blocks/saves.

He tipped one over the bar...even though it was going over.

The other he saved onto the post, which Flint cleared.

What Fielding fans seem to not see, is that apart from shot saving, the rest of his game is below average at this level.

Like I said before...up until his flap of a punch, we look quiet assured. After that, we had a period of intense pressure from Blades. They got their tails up...and you could see we were defensively ruffled.

FF instills no confidence. He doesn't 'own' his area...has no presence...and his distribution is dire.

If you are going to be that small as a GK...you have to have a lot more positives to overcome that. FF doesn't have them.

If FF was a good GK...there wouldn't be topic after topic about him.

What Fielding fans seem to not see, is that apart from shot saving, the rest of his game is below average at this level.

If you are going to be that small as a GK...you have to have a lot more positives to overcome that. FF doesn't have them.

If FF was a good GK...there wouldn't be topic after topic about him.

The one thing is however, that if the rest of his game was at his shot saving standard, he wouldn't be with us, he would be in a higher division, and possibly even the prem! The same with a couple of our other players.. he is very good for the level we are at, and our squad is arguably one of the strongest on paper this season.

I thought Flint was absolutely superb today and as well as Wilbraham did (not least for the 2 goals) I felt Flint was by some way our man of the match.

Sheffield United put a lot of balls in our box and Flint managed to deal with almost all of them as well as saving 2/3 certain goals. In the first half we were failing to deal with Sheffield United out wide and if it wasn't for Flint's ability in the air the game could have been over at half time. I was also mightily impressed with some his last ditch, goal saving defending, the like of which I can't remember from City since Gary Johnson was our manager .I cannot believe anybody could possibly have any problem with Flint's performance today and he should be extremely proud of what I think was his best performance in a City shirt.

I would suggest that Fielding should be pretty grateful for some of Flint's last ditch defending as well!

The one thing is however, that if the rest of his game was at his shot saving standard, he wouldn't be with us, he would be in a higher division, and possibly even the prem! The same with a couple of our other players.. he is very good for the level we are at, and our squad is arguably one of the strongest on paper this season.

I disagree fella... don't get me wrong... I would love FF to prove me wrong...but he is no better a shot stopper than what Basso, Gerkin or Moore were/are. He's bloomin manic...he just needs to calm down. He's like Grobbalar and Barthez's (sp) inferior love child...Like I said before...if he was good he wouldn't have topic after topic written about him...even Sky reporters mentioned his frailties...the Blades GK was far superior.

The other way to look at it is that if he couldn't save shots he wouldn't be a goalkeeper at all.

Shame his completely inability to command his area, satisfactorily distribute the ball or give his defenders any confidence whatsoever in him mean he is our weakest link.

I thought Flint had an excellent game. Won everything in the air, cleared 2 off the line and probably should have scored from a corner in the 1st half. 

Wilbraham looks an old fashion center forward, strong in the air and holds the ball up well. Showed his caliber today against a decent defense. 

Fielding looked dodgy the first 20 minutes or so, I was having kittens with some of his distribution. Fortunately he settled down and made some excellent saves that otherwise would have cost us the game. 

I think Wade Elliot deserves a mention, not just for his excellent finish but with the way he controlled the midfield and settled us back down after conceding. We were rattled and looked like we're starting to fall apart. I think he'll prove to be our most valuable signing this season.  

All in all, a good team performance. The kit might be a good omen as well, maybe we should start with that strip every away game :D 

Brilliant win, Wilbraham really looks the read deal up front, classy lay-offs and heading and Little will be a real threat over-lapping like that, really strong running and excellent cross (and was very unlucky in the incident)

BUT

Fielding and Flint give me kittens, especially when they are inter-acting, maybe they don't trust one another but it makes our defence look shaky.

Frankie's decision-making and distribution are sh***

If we get a top notch goalie we can very well this season.

Did you actually watch the game ? Flint put in his best performance since joining the club & Frankie made some good saves after a shaky start.

To be fair I thought that was vastly improved today by the simple adjustment of taking goal kicks from the centre of the goal instead of the corner of the six yard box. I don't remember him kicking into touch once. And he did distribute the ball quite a few times from his hands with no problem.

With respect...he did kick it out a couple of times. If a keeper at this level has to adjust just to keep it on the pitch, then there is something seriously wrong. Plus, on a few occasions he did like last season...kick the ball outside of his box...even after stopping and taking a step further back...he was lucky not to get caught.

It sounds like I'm bashing the bloke...but I watched him intensely this afternoon because I wanted him to be better...he wasn't.

I hope he improves or we get someone in better. Call it constructive criticism... we all want our players to do well.

A very good result, a very good second half for our boys. But we must not get carried away.

I think we should get carried away, this kind of result should breed confidence and a touch of German like arrogance this squad is good enough to win this league with a brand of football we haven't seen of years - let's have it COYR!!!

Wonder how the OP feels after reading this thread. Haha.

Always makes me laugh that someone could have an opinion so different to everyone else.

If Flint plays like that all season we'll be cashing in on hi pm for millions!!

I thought that... how long before we're saying 'can we keep hold of Flint!' Fair play to him, he's put a lot of work in over the summer & I hope he carries on reaping the rewards.

Archived