IGNORED

Fielding Flint Little And Wilbraham

southvillekiddy

i thought flint had an excellent game.  Fielding made some excellent key saves

Flint did exactly what he does well. He simply headed it and kicked it as far as possible.

He'll do well enough in League 1 but should City get back into the Championship Flint will be exposed by the sharper and quicker strikers in thar league.

Time for a more sophisticated CB if and when City get promoted.

Flint did exactly what he does well. He simply headed it and kicked it as far as possible.

He'll do well enough in League 1 but should City get back into the Championship Flint will be exposed by the sharper and quicker strikers in thar league.

Hit some decent balls out of the back too, to be fair.

Colossal performance from Flint, the clear MOTM.

A strong contender in each of a number of consecutive games before his injury as well.

Long term doubters and critics like southvillekiddy, TRL, billywedlock and several others will no doubt take more convincing of his capabilities. 

If nothing else though it must at least be clear to them that Flint is a totally committed fighter for his team for whom every goal conceded is treated like a personal insult.

I think he's at least earnt a bit of breathing space from those fans quick to jeer his every minute error.

If he goes on to consistently perform as he was pre injury, and again at Sheffield, he'll certainly cement a regular place, and, as I stated many months ago. imo will very likely go on to become a big fans' favourite.

Colossal performance from Flint, the clear MOTM.

A strong contender in each of a number of consecutive games before his injury as well.

Long term doubters and critics like southvillekiddy, TRL, billywedlock and several others will no doubt take more convincing of his capabilities. 

If nothing else though it must at least be clear to them that Flint is a totally committed fighter for his team for whom every goal conceded is treated like a personal insult.

I think he's at least earnt a bit of breathing space from those fans quick to jeer his every minute error.

If he goes on to consistently perform as he was pre injury, and again at Sheffield, he'll certainly cement a regular place, and, as I stated many months ago. imo will very likely go on to become a big fans' favourite.

Flint heads it and boots it - end of.

Like said in an earlier post on this thread, those two qualities are essential in League 1 where teams frequently send in long and often high balls and City need someone like Flint to deal with that style of ball.

He'd be found out in the Championship for sure.

He's at the right level IMO.

Like said in an earlier post on this thread, those two qualities are essential in League 1 where teams frequently send in long and often high balls and City need someone like Flint to deal with that style of ball.

Not the end of it at all.

He can actually pass the ball very well.

He's also very vocal, never hides, and has a never say die attitude and aggressive will to win which more bashful youngsters like Williams will learn from.

No idea if DIv.3 will prove to be his level. If he continues to play like he did on Saturday he will be an outstanding defender in this division, and, being young enough to improve further, may well be capable of upping his game further to Championship level.

Don't forget the oft maligned Jamie McCombe was often excellent for City in the Championship before a duff season - when playing through injury - rather soured many fans' opinions.

I don't see Flint as someone who can regularly pass it well over more than about 5 yards. As well as he played Saturday and actually did some reasonable long balls, I just don't see that happening very often as he lacks ability there.

But as long as he defends as well as he did, he will have a good season after a failry average one last time.

Stop being ridiculous- if he just "headed it and booted it", then I'd be a League One centre half. His positioning- both in defending and when we were in possession- was excellent all game. He was composed, confident, vocal and committed. Why do you think he was the player making all those headers and blocks? Positioning is 75% of a defenders game and Flint was in the right position time and time again. Whether he keeps it up all season is a question yet to be answered, but if he plays like that every week he can definitely do a job in the division above

He's also very vocal, never hides, and has a never say die attitude and aggressive will to win which more bashful youngsters like Williams will learn from.

No idea if DIv.3 will prove to be his level. If he continues to play like he did on Saturday he will be an outstanding defender in this division, and, being young enough to improve further, may well be capable of upping his game further to Championship level.

Don't forget the oft maligned Jamie McCombe was often excellent for City in the Championship before a duff season - when playing through injury - rather soured many fans' opinions.

I think I've literally just peed myself!

Stop being ridiculous- if he just "headed it and booted it", then I'd be a League One centre half. His positioning- both in defending and when we were in possession- was excellent all game. He was composed, confident, vocal and committed. Why do you think he was the player making all those headers and blocks? Positioning is 75% of a defenders game and Flint was in the right position time and time again. Whether he keeps it up all season is a question yet to be answered, but if he plays like that every week he can definitely do a job in the division above

Flint is a very average footballer who makes the most out of his strengths - namely his height. Positioning can be taught at the same time as gaining experience which Flint has done well but but he lacks pace and anticipation. His 'on the ball' skills are also seriously limited which is partly why he lumps it so much.

Like I said twice before - he'll get found out if City get back into the Championship. I'm sure SC knows that as well.

Fielding is very inconsistent. He was dire first half, but second half he was the bollocks WTF.

If hes gonna ba Nr 1, he needs to play a LOT more consistently.

Flint was if not MOTM, bloody close to it...Elliott only came alive 2nd half and it showed. Little was our best player first half, after Wilabraham...certainly caused problems.

Too harsh there RR, he did a **** sight more than that..He reads situations several times better than his keeper... but if you use your brains and Flint clearly has one, you can disguise shortcomings indeed turn tem into your advantage...like Mertesacker whom you probably dont rate either.

It wont just be a more sophisticated CB we need when we go back into the Championship....will be quite a few needed to THRIVE not survive.

Don't get carried away fella, booting the ball forward 45 yards is not a good pass, it's a routine clearance. Sending a bobbling, bouncing ball a yard behind one of the other centre halves is not a good pass.

Having said that, Flint did play very very well on the weekend and I am very pleased for him.

I think I've literally just peed myself!

I didn't say he succeeds in passing it well every time - clearly he doesn't - but he's hardly alone in not doing that.

He was obviously under instruction to play the ball out long to the wings last season - sometimes it went over the wingers heads, but on other occasions they proved to be outstanding attack starting passes.

He would only have been given this instruction if Cotts. had seen in training he was capable of doing it.

These weren't long ball hoof-it-anywhere clearances - which every defender does occasionally - and he never overhit by much. They were actually pinpoint 30- 40 yard diagonal passes, or on other occasions very close to it.

Piss yourself all you like, but Flint can pass the ball alright, and to his credit he's not afraid to try it again later in the game even if it hasn't worked out before.

That's despite potentially setting himself up for more howls of derision from some in the crowd who seem loath to give him credit for anything. 

Flint is a very average footballer who makes the most out of his strengths - namely his height. Positioning can be taught at the same time as gaining experience which Flint has done well but but he lacks pace and anticipation. His 'on the ball' skills are also seriously limited which is partly why he lumps it so much.

Like I said twice before - he'll get found out if City get back into the Championship. I'm sure SC knows that as well.

I don't get what you're trying to say- do positioning and reading the game not count as skills because they can be acquired? Do you still stand by your statement that all he did was "head it and boot it"?

If we get promoted then I have no doubt we'll need many new players, but if Flint shows the same improvement over next summer that appears to have been there this summer, he'll be a fine player at the next level up

Criticism for the sake of criticism

I don't get what you're trying to say- do positioning and reading the game not count as skills because they can be acquired? Do you still stand by your statement that all he did was "head it and boot it"?

If we get promoted then I have no doubt we'll need many new players, but if Flint shows the same improvement over next summer that appears to have been there this summer, he'll be a fine player at the next level up

Criticism for the sake of criticism

Not criticism for the sake of it at all.

My view of Flint is that he's a steady CB at League 1level but that's all he is.

His ball skills are cumbersome at best, he doesn't have the ability or confidence to bring the ball out of defence which is why he either passes sideways or lumps it forward.

As for his reading of the game and his positioning, that's something he'll have learnt through experience and as a younger player learning from more senior defenders around him. Those qualities are not necessarily natural ability is what I'm saying. Useful ball skills are natural and one of Flints weaknesses.

As I said before, Flint is playing at his best level.

Don't get carried away fella, booting the ball forward 45 yards is not a good pass, it's a routine clearance. Sending a bobbling, bouncing ball a yard behind one of the other centre halves is not a good pass.

Having said that, Flint did play very very well on the weekend and I am very pleased for him.

Rubbish. If you can pick out a team mate, or at least meet his run from 45 yards that's actually a skill.

Rubbish. If you can pick out a team mate, or at least meet his run from 45 yards that's actually a skill.

Which Flint does not possess.

His ball skills are cumbersome at best, he doesn't have the ability or confidence to bring the ball out of defence which is why he either passes sideways or lumps it forward.

^ This.

I always fancied Aiden Flint as a Shaun Taylor long term - and boy could he clear the back line and he played at the top flight too.

Was gutted he didn't hit the ground running with us, and also, foolishly, singled him out as a potential weak link just prior to the Sheffield U game to my lesser learned City viewers.

An on-going joke throughout the game was how pleased I was to be proved wrong!

Reckon technique etc will improve but as a good old fashioned centre half surely he has the attributes for a long and prosperous career.

"Alby" brilliant again.

Flint gives Williams a rocket pass inside the area that's almost impossible to control to set up Colchester's goal

That wasn't a pass. It was a slightly misdirected clearance. He hits it out of the box first time... Williams should have just put it out for a corner or trusted his right foot to hook it out of the danger area.

"Alby" brilliant again.

Flint gives Williams a rocket pass inside the area that's almost impossible to control to set up Colchester's goal

That wasn't a pass. It was a slightly misdirected clearance. He hits it out of the box first time... Williams should have just put it out for a corner or trusted his right foot to hook it out of the danger area.

It wasn't Williams, it was Cunningham

either way look at Flint on the highlights, he's busy b******ing someone else for his "miss-directed clearance" ****up

So would you rather he just let the ball run into the box instead of trying to clear the ball that was coming to him at a fast pace? Cunningham took about 3 seconds to move after taking the first touch - in his own box - facing his own goal.

So would you rather he just let the ball run into the box instead of trying to clear the ball that was coming to him at a fast pace? Cunningham took about 3 seconds to move after taking the first touch - in his own box - facing his own goal.

I'd like him to be good enough to clear the cross from the Colchester right winger(?) which involves him having the basic technique to open his right foot and boot it upfield and if he ****s it up then he shouldn't blame others.

If the ball's coming to him at fast pace then he should be able to avoid hitting it at fast pace to a team mate in a tricky situation

He's tall, probably as tall as anyone in the League, he should beat everyone to a high cross, he should be able to score goals with his head as he did at Leyton Orient, he shouldn't miss sitters as he did at Sheff. United.

It's what he can't do with his feet that gives me kittens. 

I didn't say he succeeds in passing it well every time - clearly he doesn't - but he's hardly alone in not doing that.

He was obviously under instruction to play the ball out long to the wings last season - sometimes it went over the wingers heads, but on other occasions they proved to be outstanding attack starting passes.

He would only have been given this instruction if Cotts. had seen in training he was capable of doing it.

These weren't long ball hoof-it-anywhere clearances - which every defender does occasionally - and he never overhit by much. They were actually pinpoint 30- 40 yard diagonal passes, or on other occasions very close to it.

Piss yourself all you like, but Flint can pass the ball alright, and to his credit he's not afraid to try it again later in the game even if it hasn't worked out before.

That's despite potentially setting himself up for more howls of derision from some in the crowd who seem loath to give him credit for anything. 

Flint reminds me a lot of how Tony Adams used to play.

There is no reason if he works on other parts of his game and continues to improve that he could quiet easily hold his own in the Championship. But he does need to continually improve.

He gives us a direct approach both in defence and at corners. A willingness to put his head in and clear when necessary.

If you are looking for a correctly weighted ball on the correct side of the player to receive, then we maybe waiting for some time. But he can still work on that.

Player for player...he is far more controlling in defence of the box than FF imho.

Archived