IGNORED

Jet Is Lazy

Bobby Reid

Remarkable what I've just read.

How the hell are some of you judging a player being lazy from seeing 5 minutes of him? It's absolutely ridiculous!

Even when he came on, we weren't chasing the game, so he couldn't do what he usually does.

On exceptions last season, JET was a passenger, but the first half of the season he kept us competitive. The term 'lazy' doesn't apply to JET I don't think, you have to look at it in the bigger perspective. If you watch him play, often when he is out of position and being called 'lazy' by a bunch of 12 year olds, he is dragging players into positions they don't want to be in, freeing up space in the middle, and creating gaps.

Before you all hurl insults at him and call him overweight, get down to the Gate, and study his movement. You may notice a lot.

That's what's so frustrating... the lad has all the ability in the world. He has the talent...

People question his fitness...and managers have said it's hard to keep him fit...I'm guessing it's his natural body/genetics that don't help. Plus many have just run out of ideas as to where to play him. He's only 23 and can turn it around...but what I question is his desire. Many footballers and other sportsman, at a young age with talent, sometimes get distracted with other interests...and lose focus...before you know it, career gone. I'm not saying this is the case...but it has crossed my mind.

He's had 6 teams in 6 years...His best period arguably was playing under SoD, who gave him a free reign.

It's going to be interesting to see how he does this season under SC and where he fits in.

From memory, his scoring dried up last December not long after Cotts took over...time will tell... I do hope though, that he finds that fitness, desire, mental strength and passion to do well for us and himself again. Because when he's on fire, he's a pleasure to watch.

The question is that was more important, JET having a free rein, scoring goals and City still losing and languishing in the relegation places? or JET not having a free rein, not scoring and not being picked for every game, but City winning far more than they are losing?.

Be honest how could SOD ever drop JET it was impossible?, he was the only regular scorer, in a way it was part of SOD's downfall, JET was scoring and we weren't winning, JET was selected and for much of the game we were not playing with 11 players busting a gut, that's fine when you are top of the league and winning but not when you are at or near the bottom, it's one of the few parts of SOD's rein I have sympathy for him over, just imagine the outcry if he had dropped JET in favour of 11 players busting a gut (especially had it not worked).

The question is that was more important, JET having a free rein, scoring goals and City still losing and languishing in the relegation places? or JET not having a free rein, not scoring and not being picked for every game, but City winning far more than they are losing?.

Be honest how could SOD ever drop JET it was impossible?, he was the only regular scorer, in a way it was part of SOD's downfall, JET was scoring and we weren't winning, JET was selected and for much of the game we were not playing with 11 players busting a gut, that's fine when you are top of the league and winning but not when you are at or near the bottom, it's one of the few parts of SOD's rein I have sympathy for him over, just imagine the outcry if he had dropped JET in favour of 11 players busting a gut (especially had it not worked).

If JET was scoring regularly and yet we weren't winning, how the hell is that JET's fault. He was doing his job. It was others who were leaking goals.

If JET was scoring regularly and yet we weren't winning, how the hell is that JET's fault. He was doing his job. It was others who were leaking goals.

Where the hell exactly did I say that?.

I was answering the implication that somehow SC might have been responsible for JET not scoring in the 2nd half of the season, a 2nd half of the season which incidentally saw us climb to the top half of the division, why not say SOD was the reason that Baldock wasn't scoring earlier in the season?.

The interesting point as far as BCFC are concerned is all of transfer speculation surrounds Baldock and not JET and doesn't his contract run out at the same time as Baldock?.

I'm not surprised fella...

If a manager like Wenger can't get him to work, what hope do other managers have?

He's done very little goal wise since SC came here. He's scored most of his career goals under SoD....which I can only put down to him being allowed the role he played under him.

38 goals in 173 appearances. 21 of them for us. Of which 9 were cup games against lower opposition mainly.

17 goals in 117 games in the Championship.

So apart from what he did for us under SoD, it's been a pretty unremarkable career goal wise.

For all his flashes of brilliance... I don't think it's enough to tempt another manager in the Championship taking him.

I'm not surprised fella...

If a manager like Wenger can't get him to work, what hope do other managers have?

He's done very little goal wise since SC came here. He's scored most of his career goals under SoD....which I can only put down to him being allowed the role he played under him.

38 goals in 173 appearances. 21 of them for us. Of which 9 were cup games against lower opposition mainly.

17 goals in 117 games in the Championship.

So apart from what he did for us under SoD, it's been a pretty unremarkable career goal wise.

For all his flashes of brilliance... I don't think it's enough to tempt another manager in the Championship taking him.

His success with SOD was marred by several things, a powder puff midfield in front of a mistake prone defence and it pushed Baldock into a position he was clearly uncomfortable with.

His success with SOD was marred by several things, a powder puff midfield in front of a mistake prone defence and it pushed Baldock into a position he was clearly uncomfortable with.

Exactly... we were unbalanced with him in the side.

If he plays well, it seems others have to suffer or make sacrifices to fit him in the side.

It will be interesting to see how SC fits him in this season.

Either Freeman or Wilbs imho, are the only two players that could make way for him, without unbalancing the side.

Depending how we play of course.

I will.  I thought he was unfairly treated tonight.  The problem was our midfield.  He got on the ball quite a lot and when someone made a run he picked them out.  Too many times though he had zero options except to go back to the defence.  His confidence is less than it was as shown in the first half when he took too many chances to take a shot whereas this time last year he would have pulled the trigger.  This is confidence not laziness or a poor attitude.  

I hate the way some of our 'supporters' cheer substitutions because of the player who is being removed rather than who is replacing them.  Nothing good ever came of it.  If you do it stop it, it's stupid and counter productive.  By all means cheer the oncoming player to boost his confidence, but booing someone who has on balance been a good player for us is disgraceful.  

I will.  I thought he was unfairly treated tonight.  The problem was our midfield.  He got on the ball quite a lot and when someone made a run he picked them out.  Too many times though he had zero options except to go back to the defence.  His confidence is less than it was as shown in the first half when he took too many chances to take a shot whereas this time last year he would have pulled the trigger.  This is confidence not laziness or a poor attitude.  

That's not his job, and would only be if there were two people sited in front of him. He also has little hustle to go for a ball that isn't coming straight towards him. Neither of these two are reliant on confidence, and if they were he's had three months to sit on his 'aris in front of a TV and DVD player to remedy that, or get his co-workers on the phone for some advice. We really, really can't chuck 80 minutes away per game on a holding attacker for the sake of some mythic 10 minutes of godly flair, and that certainly didn't keep us in this division by itself.

But tonight wasn't just his fault, of course. When Marlon Pack has a not-sh*t game in comparison to some others on the field you know there's stuff that needs sorting. El Bad had to get up front at times, and Osborne was nowhere near the menace he can be.

That's not his job, and would only be if there were two people sited in front of him. He also has little hustle to go for a ball that isn't coming straight towards him. Neither of these two are reliant on confidence, and if they were he's had three months to sit on his 'aris in front of a TV and DVD player to remedy that, or get his co-workers on the phone for some advice. We really, really can't chuck 80 minutes away per game on a holding attacker for the sake of some mythic 10 minutes of godly flair, and that certainly didn't keep us in this division by itself.

But tonight wasn't just his fault, of course. When Marlon Pack has a not-sh*t game in comparison to some others on the field you know there's stuff that needs sorting. El Bad had to get up front at times, and Osborne was nowhere near the menace he can be.

Really? I thought Pack was very poor tonight. Wynter, Reid (in the first half), Wagstaff, Fielding, El-Abd amongst others were easily better

He didn't help himself though, he hardly put himself about to make something happen and waited for play to come to him, you saw Baldock quite often today drift back put himself about pass the ball off and get forward again.

Sorry, but I have a different opinion.  They have completely different skill sets despite being strikers.  No point comparing them.  What matters is can they work as a pair and if so how. 

Err and they don't really do they?

Sorry, but I have a different opinion.  They have completely different skill sets despite being strikers.  No point comparing them.  What matters is can they work as a pair and if so how.

Cotterill said he couldn't wait to get JET into pre season to get him fit, well tonight if he wasn't fit then it was a lack of motivation to get round the pitch, one of the two more than likely.

Really? I thought Pack was very poor tonight. Wynter, Reid (in the first half), Wagstaff, Fielding, El-Abd amongst others were easily better

Pack wasn't a complete passenger and he moved in for some decent tackles when it was clear others around him had nothing in the tank.

Pack wasn't a complete passenger and he moved in for some decent tackles when it was clear others around him had nothing in the tank.

Fair point, suppose the couple of times he got badly caught out stood out a bit more, Wade Elliott just got even more key to our season.

Yes it is.  Wilbraham did it brilliantly on Saturday and got rightly praised for it.  He played as a holding attacker.  Another name for it is a target man. You play the ball up to him as he is the target and he holds it up until he gets support from team mates in the form of runs off the ball.  JET held it up tonight but there were **** all options resulting in him passing it backwards.

From another angle.....

Is there a possibility that an interested club from a higher division DID come in for JET in the pre-season, and were rebuffed?

Maybe without JETs knowledge until after the fact?

Perhaps may explain the weight/attitude questions.

I'd be amazed after such a good season, that not one single club from L1 or above made enquiries. And if they did, and City wouldn't even talk to them - maybe that's a reason for the perceived issues at hand.

Perhaps teams from L1 and above didn't come in for him because, perhaps, teams from L1 & above recognise an outrageously talented player who has failed to deliver consistently (apart from one season in said L1).

Perhaps his apparent attitude on the pitch (whether it is lethargy or he's simply languid) is the problem? Rather than an implied transfer saga that has absolutely no facts to even suggest it existed.

Mind you, having seen the rather "passionate" display from his father in the Williams stand last night, I cant imagine that there is a manager in the land that will get him to change his approach if he has failed to do so playing in his dads teams over the years...the guy was "vocal" at Jets positioning to say the least..

For me he has always had this languid style that suggests laziness but to me he just did not look interested. I think he had a stinker and failed to link with midfield which made them appear non existent. His was the worst of a poor performance.

I really hope he can turn his form around though for him and us as we will need him this season. As several have stated he needs to be loved and such is the way at ashton gate there aint a lot of that about when you are out of form

i think his kit is too tight,restricting his flair.

i wouldnt  charge about in front of thousands if my shorts were likely to split either

didn't stop freeman's flair or Wilbrahams flair against sheffield united,

it was simply the fact that he couldn't be bothered last night, he needs to come off the bench and put in a performance imo,

Emmanuel Thomas is a victim of his first half of last season success. Everyone expects him to play like that most games, reality is if he could he'd not be a league one player.

I think he'd be a good player to bring off the bench more than starting.

I have one complaint about the guy, how does he mis time his jumping almost 9/10 times? Surely this should be worked on as he hardly won a header all last season either.

If you sarcastically cheer or boo a player off the pitch, stay at home and listen to the game on the radio.

Archived