IGNORED

Mark Little

zoggy21

Didn't go yesterday, but went to Sheff. At that game he was one of our best players IMO. However, a group of lads behind me were slagging him off a bit I think because he lost the ball a couple of times. I wouldn't say he assisted Willbrahams goal I would say he made it after ghosting past two.

Also thought his tracking back was good too.

I like him, he's lively and I'd rather see someone try and take players on than not at all, even if he loses it from time to time. Looking forward to seeing him Tuesday :)

All that based on seeing him once of course

I'm pleased with all our summer signings but Mark Little has made me feel a little uneasy.

He loses the ball a lot when attacking and NEVER tries to put an early ball in.

His crossing is poor (however he did put in a good one to Wilbraham last week) and missed 2 pullbacks to give baldock a sitter!

Would you rather play Wagstaff!?

dont slag off little/ 2nd game.look at flint last 2 games, solid(shit last season), so what im saying is cotts knows whats hes doing/ have some TRUST....

Agree with the OP. He relies purely on his pace and power to get past defenders, but there's nothing wrong with it as it works. His crossing is quite poor but at least he still gets in dangerous areas regularly, if his end product was good he would be playing at a higher level than this but he will be key for us this season

This is a fair and balanced view imo. Apart from the goal at sheffield i don't remember him putting a single accurate cross in. Despite that his energy and committment are great and i'm a big fan!

The 3-5-2 helps Litte a lot with Ayling and Smith/Elliot covering.. maybe in a right back position i'd be more worried considering he enjoys attacking more than defending..

But for this level he's a very good signing, and people making judgements on him already need to give him 10 odd games

Agree that he suits a 3-5-2 where he can, if you'll allow me to get Mick Channon on you, ''bomb on by'm''.

He's big and powerful and determined like few City players have shown in recent seasons.

But both he and Cunningham are leaving yawning gaps when they do attack and we lose the ball (which we still do far too easily and regularly). Then there appears to be little in the way of cover, Smith apart. Can't expect Elliott's legs to get him back and forth all game in comparison to the mainly 20-somethings he faces. And Freeman looks (like one of the Imbetweeners) he's out of breath by the time we get our first throw-in. Fit? **** off! Fitter than last year? **** right off!  http://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/

We look shaky every time a wing-back gets caught upfield, as I know most teams do, but when Flinty gets drawn out to cover (ouch) and Ayling seems more worried about his barnet (and is another one not fit enough yet) we look likely to concede every single game. esp with that turtle in goal. Bloody hell, he scares the shyte out of me. Just seeing him get up in the morning scares the shyte out of me (I voyeur into his bedroom, donchya know).

But Little is a vast, vast improvement on Brend from last season and anyone else we've had recently. Wagstaff is not a defender so cannot 'fill in' there. We need actually defenders, like, defending and stuff. Little is the man for me. maybe with just a bit more protection behind him.

Agree that he suits a 3-5-2 where he can, if you'll allow me to get Mick Channon on you, ''bomb on by'm''.

He's big and powerful and determined like few City players have shown in recent seasons.

But both he and Cunningham are leaving yawning gaps when they do attack and we lose the ball (which we still do far too easily and regularly). Then there appears to be little in the way of cover, Smith apart. Can't expect Elliott's legs to get him back and forth all game in comparison to the mainly 20-somethings he faces. And Freeman looks (like one of the Imbetweeners) he's out of breath by the time we get our first throw-in. Fit? **** off! Fitter than last year? **** right off!  http://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/

We look shaky every time a wing-back gets caught upfield, as I know most teams do, but when Flinty gets drawn out to cover (ouch) and Ayling seems more worried about his barnet (and is another one not fit enough yet) we look likely to concede every single game. esp with that turtle in goal. Bloody hell, he scares the shyte out of me. Just seeing him get up in the morning scares the shyte out of me (I voyeur into his bedroom, donchya know).

But Little is a vast, vast improvement on Brend from last season and anyone else we've had recently. Wagstaff is not a defender so cannot 'fill in' there. We need actually defenders, like, defending and stuff. Little is the man for me. maybe with just a bit more protection behind him.

:laugh: great post, but I agree when our wing backs lose possession there seems to be so much space for the opposition it's scary. I think Freeman is settling in to a new formation and a new role. In Stevenage he was always on the wing, now playing in a middle 3 where is much more congested he will find it tough, but he will adapt and become a great player.

Did make me giggle this post...but their is an element of truth in it...quiet a lot tbh. Even if it was tongue in cheek.

Tbh... FF and Cunningham are imho the only two weak team members who don't have competition for position over a season.

I like all of our new signings and think they are a vast improvement on the previous.

I really don't understand why Freeman and JET seem so lethargic though at this stage of the season.

I watched Mark Little last year for Posh (wife supports Posh) and he is known to frustrate supporters at times, why because he gets into such good crossing positions and fluffs the cross. But to me  he is a tremendous acquisition as he has pace and will lay on assists for the likes of Wilbraham and Baldock. Just live with fact that only 1 in 3 crosses are in the right place.    

Did make me giggle this post...but their is an element of truth in it...quiet a lot tbh. Even if it was tongue in cheek.

Tbh... FF and Cunningham are imho the only two weak team members who don't have competition for position over a season.

I like all of our new signings and think they are a vast improvement on the previous.

I really don't understand why Freeman and JET seem so lethargic though at this stage of the season.

An element of truth, Spud?

Tongue in cheek, -Ski?

Say whaaat?!

!!

I think you're right in that there is excellent comp for places in all but a couple of areas - although Joe B should keep Greg C on his tootsies. Greg still seems hit and miss for me (mostly miss defending and hit attacking - fantastic ball for Wilbrahamovic's first goal)  and in this division most teams seem to have a half-decent winger who'll trouble us (eg F Sears yesterday), particularly given our propensity to leave schisms of space at the back for them to exploit. It is worrying that one of the most ma-hoo-sive defensive problems we've had since DMc's time (or before) has still not been sorted - cutting out and defending crosses. 

Statistically teams will always succeed in sending over a number of crosses during a game, even the gAss'oles prob send a couple over (over central Manchester yesterday, most likely) and, again, in this div there's quite often on the end of it going to be a gert big lump of a forward (yesterday's no 9) or a nippy fox-in-the-wassname. We don't seem great at just dealing with that. For all the bloody prozone shyte, even I can tell that crosses are one of our weaknesses - so are we practising ''getting rid'' in training enough? It appears not. Not enough, anyway.

And that filters in to our other problem: FF. Ffs. 

I know Cotts had his eyes set on Moore, but has someone told him a) he's not really available at the mo and b) there are some other keepers out there. Was he so hell-bent on getting Moore to the exclusion of anyone else? Cos I'll tell you wot, as soon as FF makes a ****-up, as we all know he will, Cotts will bestraight into the loan market. Why wait till then? Get someone in now, fffs. How about instead of spending the summer eyeing up 34 year-olds in foreign gyms and signing 'the best of the rest' (Freeman, Ayling etc) get a keeper in. It's not like it's a new problem - we all know this has existed for too long as a potential bomb-blast to our promotional chances this year.

It was laughable, absolutely laughable, after the Sheff U game that some City fan s were saying oooh what a finger-tip save he made in the first half. Yeah, that's because anyone else taller than a turd could have, in one hand, caught that shot/cross/whatever it was (I had my eyes closed by that point).

I have absolutely nothing, nothing against FF as a bloke. But almost everything as a keeper. He's short. Unpredictable. And loose. If I was a defender I'd be constantly looking over my shoulder thinking, 'Wtf is he doing now, spray painting the back-board?' He gives the defence the jitters (the gAss have had the monopoly on having gitters for so many years - GITTERS!!) He gives the squad the heebeegeebees. And he gives me indigestion.

Gks must be tall. Must. No two ways about it. Don't give me Ronnie Sinclair - we had Bob Taylor scoring blindfolded up the other end to take us up that year. When he comes out to punch just feeeeel the baaad vibez, maaan. 

I'm sure many will say the old ''he's a good shot-stopper'' crud. Er, he's a gk. He's supposed to stop shots. If he can't do that - but can catch a cross - you wouldn't employ him, would you?

I just hope Cotts sorts this worry before he drops a few b*ll*cks, our FF. Why wait till the loan market  get some one in, man.

I'm pleased with all our summer signings but Mark Little has made me feel a little uneasy.

He loses the ball a lot when attacking and NEVER tries to put an early ball in.

His crossing is poor (however he did put in a good one to Wilbraham last week) and missed 2 pullbacks to give baldock a sitter!

Would you rather play Wagstaff!?

Really? Yes, his crosses into the box were not good, but it's a real positive that in the first half he got himself in to positions inside the box, three or four times, where he could have set up a goal. And yes, let's not forget the cross for the Wilbrahamovic header at Bramall Lane.

The one that worries me is Ayling - he had one good surging run, but generally a very poor touch I thought.

Agreed, Ayling's touch - along with one or two others, Baldock included - has looked pub football standard, quite frankly. Looks like he's still settling, perhaps magnified for the worse by how quickly Aaronavitch Wilbrahimovic has settled in.

Agreed RE: Baldock. He reminds me of how he started last season, lots of effort and endeavour but doesn't look relaxed yet as he did last season. Making good runs but ball just not quite dropping to him at right moment. Perhaps tonight it will happen for him

Agreed RE: Baldock. He reminds me of how he started last season, lots of effort and endeavour but doesn't look relaxed yet as he did last season. Making good runs but ball just not quite dropping to him at right moment. Perhaps tonight it will happen for him

Absolutely Phileas. Couple of really nice touches, touches he was probably incapable of making in the first half of last season, but otherwise shooting esp has been poor, theee big problem from last term. Conversely, the partnership he is developing with Wilibraham looks promising to say the least, probably down to the latter's experience, assured touch and good start to life in BS3. Baldrick never ever seemed to have any kind of understanding with JET, it's almost like they scored their 20-odd goals each in different teams/seasons last year, as if they were almost unaware of the other's existence. Long term I think Wilbraham may be the making of Baldrick, a foil to play off. But, as you say, he needs to relax. The quicker that first goal comes, um, the less time he'll, er, have to wait for it? Or something...

I commented about Little on Saturday, he seems to be one of the modern breed of players where the focus is almost entirely on power, pace and athleticism rather than technique or any sort of footballing brain.  There's a reason why such players are popular though, they are effective, and, as has been said, if they had it all they wouldn't be playing at our level.  

On at least one occasion on Saturday he simply pushed it past his man and beat him to it for pace in just 5m or so, that will scare any lower league defender.  If only 1 in 5 of the resultant crosses are effective then, that's a price we pay.  I think the first goal up at Sheffield, him bursting to the line and cutting it back, will be something of a trademark goal for us this year.

It's a yes from me :) 

I commented about Little on Saturday, he seems to be one of the modern breed of players where the focus is almost entirely on power, pace and athleticism rather than technique or any sort of footballing brain.  There's a reason why such players are popular though, they are effective, and, as has been said, if they had it all they wouldn't be playing at our level.  

On at least one occasion on Saturday he simply pushed it past his man and beat him to it for pace in just 5m or so, that will scare any lower league defender.  If only 1 in 5 of the resultant crosses are effective then, that's a price we pay.  I think the first goal up at Sheffield, him bursting to the line and cutting it back, will be something of a trademark goal for us this year.

It's a yes from me :)

Power, pace, athleticism, rather than technique or any sort of footballing brain. Hmmm Lou Peters was like that especially the latter bit. :P  

Absolutely Phileas. Couple of really nice touches, touches he was probably incapable of making in the first half of last season, but otherwise shooting esp has been poor, theee big problem from last term. Conversely, the partnership he is developing with Wilibraham looks promising to say the least, probably down to the latter's experience, assured touch and good start to life in BS3. Baldrick never ever seemed to have any kind of understanding with JET, it's almost like they scored their 20-odd goals each in different teams/seasons last year, as if they were almost unaware of the other's existence. Long term I think Wilbraham may be the making of Baldrick, a foil to play off. But, as you say, he needs to relax. The quicker that first goal comes, um, the less time he'll, er, have to wait for it? Or something...

Wait; what?

I'd be interested in knowing how many times an assist from one led to a goal from another, because from my memory it was plenty of times.

Realise JET is current scapegoat du jour, but when we start using the positive aspects of his game (you know; like all those goals and assists he was responsible for) as a stick to beat him with, I think we may need to try harder to put the boot in (cue jokes about JET not trying).

As for Mark Little; rewatching his assist for the opening goal at Sheffield United, and his performance that whole game, I think we've got a real asset on our hands.  Aggressive going forward, not afraid to put in a tackle going backwards, and though he might not always make the right choice, capable of delivering excellent balls into the box.

Certainly think that for free, he looks excellent.

Archived