IGNORED

Orient - A Proper Test

Kid in the Riot

First two league games of the season I don't think our defence has actually been tested a great deal. COLU didn't have a lot up top and Sheff U only really had Higdon causing problems and he didn't look that great IMO and seemed isolated.

Different gravy tomorrow. You only have to look at Orient's goalscorers against Oldham on Saturday - Mooney, Henderson and Lisbie. You can add Cox, McAnuff and Simpson to that as well.

Plenty of experience in their squad and attacking players that will cause us problems.

We've still conspired to concede 4 goals in our first 3 games and if we are to be considered genuine promotion contenders that has to improve.

After Pack's display on Sat I'd be minded to pair him and Smith as DM's and drop Freeman or Elliott. We have to protect the defence and get control of that midfield battle if we're to win tomorrow night.

Comparing Oxford to our two league games given the difference in personnel is ridiculous. Yes we haven't kept a clean sheet but we haven't been massively troubled either, individual errors led to both goals.

Plus Smith did an excellent job of mopping up on Saturday. Let's keep our attacking impetus and give Orient something to worry about. If they have a specific weakness, their back line could be better.

****'em, let them worry about us !

Absobl00dylutley.

If SC has developed a system of play and brought in players to fit that system, then for goodness sake play to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us.

Otherwise it would be like Barca and Real Madrid meeting and the Real manager  leaving out Ronaldo & Bale to strengthen the defence in order to counter  to counter the threat from Messi & Suarez while the Barca manager leaves out Messi & Suarez in order to strengthen the defence in order to counter the threat from Ronaldo& Bale!

Yeah, Orient will be a stern work out for our team.

Have been a little taken aback by some folks talking about "expecting" play offs or a top-two place after three matches; maybe after ten we'll have an idea, but the seeming lack of depth that the Oxford games displayed should be a warning sign against over confidence.

If Freeman is unavailable, is no one else thinking his replacement could potentially be JET?

He played in an attacking midfield position the last second half of last season, and would certainly be a positive move.

Realise he seems to be wildly unpopular this season, but he did very well against Orient in both matches last season, including from midfield in the away game. 

We should and wont show not one atom of fear;

The players are well capable of showing anyone in this div the door, but they must want to do so;

Sheff Utd was a "proper test" and in there own backyard.........up and at `em :bruce_h4h:  :city:

I'd start with this team against Orient...with plenty of scope with the Subs to change things if needed. They won't be expecting this...pretty solid and offensive in the same way. Ooops Edit...

--------------------------------------------GK-----------------------------------------------------

Little--------------Osbourne----------------------------El Abd-------------------------Williams

---------------------------Pack-----------------------Smith----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------Elliott--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------Baldock--------------------------JET-------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------Wilbs---------------------------------------------------

Subs

Flint

Ayling

Bryan

Wagstaff

GK

Burns

Reid

I'd start with this team against Orient...with plenty of scope with the Subs to change things if needed. They won't be expecting this...pretty solid and offensive in the same way.

--------------------------------------------GK-----------------------------------------------------

Little--------------Osbourne----------------------------El Abd-------------------------Williams

---------------------------Pack-----------------------Smith----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------Elliott--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------Baldock-----------------------Wilbs-------------------------------------

Subs

Flint

Ayling

JET

Wagstaff

GK

Burns

Ayling and Flint have been our two best defenders so far, wouldn't leave them out.

I'd start with this team against Orient...with plenty of scope with the Subs to change things if needed. They won't be expecting this...pretty solid and offensive in the same way.

--------------------------Baldock-----------------------Wilbs-------------------------------------

Subs

Flint

Ayling

JET

Wagstaff

GK

Burns

I would play 11 players personally.

Cant see Cotts changing anything from the off unless he has too. Where we finish this season will not be about the games v Sheff Utd and Orient but will depend on how we perform v the Colchester's and Rochdale's of this world. So far so good. Even if we lose tomorrow we will still be in the top six and will just have to have a good reaction to defeat and go again.

My worry is we'll be found out at the back, while we have improved a lot at the back there was quite a few dodgy moments in the Col U game... A more clinical side will take full advantage of this.

By all accounts Orient were very lucky not to have been several behind at half time v Oldham and their second half performance whilst improved was still very scrappy. I think they have more to worry about us than the other way around.  

I'd say Wade Elliot is pretty much undropable. since he's been here.

Think I would agree if he was 3 or 4 years younger. Surely can't play 90 minutes every game? I'm with the OP personally, thought our midfield looked a little porous at times on Saturday.

Problem at this stage of the season is we are not entirely sure who the real challangers are - or if indeed we are one. I am sure there were teams beating us this time last year thinking it was an excellent result!

Think Cotts will leave it be bar changes forced on him. Would dearly love to see JET really up for it and remind us all of why we love him!

Archived