IGNORED

Scottish Independence

SARJ

I'm struggling to understand how the 'needs' of someone in Manchester differ from someone in, say, Sheffield or Bristol. A job, somewhere to live? Or are you proposing that these Regional Assemblies have their own tax raising powers so that we can have a jolly good race to the bottom with regard to Corporation Tax for instance, as in the Republic of Ireland, to encourage businesses to move to a particular area? Or is it to be a super Barnett formula so that the wealth creating areas dish out not only to Scotland and Wales but to the regional assemblies as well? Much as happens now but in a far more conspicuous way and sure to open up a can of worms if not outright hostility. Or perhaps another stab at the failed RDAs of the Labour party? In the final analysis there is a negative correlation between the size of the state and the creation of wealth and the best thing any government can do is to stop tinkering and to butt out as much as possible. Specific problems such as the high price of houses in Somerset certainly don't need regional assemblies to be sorted, tripling council tax for unoccupied properties would be a start.

I'd like to see something new (at least in this country) rather than rehashing the old ideas. As Robbo states, federalism is something that works elsewhere and appears to be on its way to Scotland, so why not everywhere else? You've never struck me as someone who's happy with the current state of affairs, so why not try something different? Devolution wouldn't be a magic potion, but it'd be a start

"tripling council tax for unoccupied properties would be a start", I'm struggling to understand why someone who's using no services at all would pay more in Council Tax than others who are consuming loads of services, equally how this would impact upon house prices in Somerset...and for the record house prices in Somerset are as cheap as chips.

I do very much agree with your overall sentiment that we need less government not more, but tinkering with the market is not a sign that you really believe in or grasp the reality of the concept.

"tripling council tax for unoccupied properties would be a start", I'm struggling to understand why someone who's using no services at all would pay more in Council Tax than others who are consuming loads of services, equally how this would impact upon house prices in Somerset...and for the record house prices in Somerset are as cheap as chips.

I do very much agree with your overall sentiment that we need less government not more, but tinkering with the market is not a sign that you really believe in or grasp the reality of the concept.

steviebee: House prices in the Mendip area of Somerset are not "cheap as chips". I live here, and they are totally out of kilter with average wages in this location, and what you can get elsewhere in the country.

Marshy was suggesting hiking council tax as a way of discouraging second home ownership, which not only pushes up the cost of buying a house beyond what locals can afford, but tends to destroy the social fabric of villages. It's something that's already been brought in for some parts of Devon and elsewhere in the UK.

It's a property tax and you use it to look after the people in your area.  You contribute to schools even if you have no children, to the fire service if you have smoke alarms.

High house prices, so high that they are unaffordable by locals, are caused by a shortage of houses exacerbated by second home owners.  Second home owners are undesirable but instead of banning this you use them to benefit the community by collecting a shedload of council tax off them.  This means that they actually become of benefit.

Most LAs, not just Devon, are charging full Council tax on second homes.

Until the 'politically correct' admit it's not a housing crisis but a population crisis, we won't solve the problem.

Something like 200,000 immigrants per year, that's building a city half the size of Bristol annually just to meet immigration demand. We already import 60% of our foodstuffs and have decimated all our wildlife habitats. Resisting the land grab for housing ain't just about NIMBISM.

Politicians and the politically correct lefties are sooooo thick. Food wars next up.

Most LAs, not just Devon, are charging full Council tax on second homes.

Until the 'politically correct' admit it's not a housing crisis but a population crisis, we won't solve the problem.

Something like 200,000 immigrants per year, that's building a city half the size of Bristol annually just to meet immigration demand. We already import 60% of our foodstuffs and have decimated all our wildlife habitats. Resisting the land grab for housing ain't just about NIMBISM.

Politicians and the politically correct lefties are sooooo thick. Food wars next up.

It's both.

Combine unrestricted immigration from dirt poor eastern European countries with the UK's incredibly restrictive planning laws and you have a perfect storm where housing costs (whether you rent or buy) soak up the great majority of people's wages.

Yet the media still trumpet rising house prices as good news but they are crippling younger people in this country who won't even start a family because they can't afford somewhere decent to live.

I own my house outright so should be one of the vested interests who want house prices to go up; I don't because it's my home not an investment.  It could halve in price tomorrow and it would make no difference to me.

It's both.

Combine unrestricted immigration from dirt poor eastern European countries with the UK's incredibly restrictive planning laws and you have a perfect storm where housing costs (whether you rent or buy) soak up the great majority of people's wages.

Yet the media still trumpet rising house prices as good news but they are crippling younger people in this country who won't even start a family because they can't afford somewhere decent to live.

I own my house outright so should be one of the vested interests who want house prices to go up; I don't because it's my home not an investment. It could halve in price tomorrow and it would make no difference to me.

Likewise here, Ed. It's my daughters' generation I think of. I hope they can make their own way in the world without having to wait for me or their mother to kark it before they can own a home.

Its also to do with changing demographics, people staying single longer, living longer, older couples not downsizing, people having fewer kids etc.

There is also actually a bedroom surplus in this country. If we had a culture of living in flats like the French and Spanish do then we'd be ok. But our taste is a nice big house with a garage and front and rear gardens, and we ain't got that much land.

Restrictive planning laws - certainly not at the moment. It's open season. The housebuilders can't keep up due to materials and labour shortages.

Sustainable population..... UK is heading for big trouble. Probably within the next 10-20 years. Trust me.

Importing 60% of foodstuffs is a death wish for a country. Forget an intensive agricultural system based on high input chemicals and factory farming. Setting aside the ethics (which you shouldn't), it just doesn't work other than providing a short term fix.

Pay people not to have children not the friggin opposite.

Archived