IGNORED

Scottish Independence

SARJ

which ever side wins joe public loses, also there will be a riot as this has split the country (Sctoland) with some on both sides getting rather nasty

I have to any - and I'm neutral - it's the Caledonian xenophobes who are trying to intimidate the most.

I mean all this "white settler" stuff! What do you think the situation in Somerset is? I know someone who has just built a 30-house estate on the grounds of the old Butleigh Hospital near Glastonbury and every one of the houses has been snapped up by someone from London.

Just seen this on Twitter, apparently it's in the Metro today:

"Dear Mr Salmond

If you get what you want today,

What will you do if the Highlands

then ask for independence?

After all, they have the oil.

They have the whiskey.

They have the wind power.

They have the wave power.

What will be left?"

I was talking about this yesterday after listening to the radio where some Scottish islands (Lewis etc) were saying they would feel no more part of Edinburgh than London. Many islands are deeply religious and have their own laws, no Sunday opening for shops etc. I felt they would want to break away from Scotland which would leave a huge problem. Add the fishing and tourism to the list above and there could be problems ahead

Just seen this on Twitter, apparently it's in the Metro today:

"Dear Mr Salmond

If you get what you want today,

What will you do if the Highlands

then ask for independence?

After all, they have the oil.

They have the whiskey.

They have the wind power.

They have the wave power.

What will be left?"

I was talking about this yesterday after listening to the radio where some Scottish islands (Lewis etc) were saying they would feel no more part of Edinburgh than London. Many islands are deeply religious and have their own laws, no Sunday opening for shops etc. I felt they would want to break away from Scotland which would leave a huge problem. Add the fishing and tourism to the list above and there could be problems ahead

Which is the problem with holding such a referendum with little in the way of long-standing grassroots activism and an incredibly flimsy (I'd argue non-existant) democratic mandate. Very few people wanted this 18 months ago and it's going to be that close that I suspect deep divisions will become ingrained in Scottish society; if the 'Yes' lose they'll blame the 'No' for future austerity, etc., while if the 'No' lose they'll blame the others for the inevitable recession and drain of private equity from Scotland

I suspect that if I was a Scot I'd actually vote Yes, because you have to have some faith in the people around you, but the situation should never have arisen IMO

So half-English, living in London, supported by largely raised in England Sports Council money in his youth, Andy Murray comes out in favour of independence.

He's been turned-off by the negative (ie pointing out the obvious pitfalls) No campaign.

"We can do this!" says Andy.  "We", mate?  Gonna sell the houses in Florida and Wimbledon Park and move to Dundee are you, sunshine?

Didn't like the spotty faced herbert before, like him even less now.

So half-English, living in London, supported by largely raised in England Sports Council money in his youth, Andy Murray comes out in favour of independence.

He's been turned-off by the negative (ie pointing out the obvious pitfalls) No campaign.

"We can do this!" says Andy.  "We", mate?  Gonna sell the houses in Florida and Wimbledon Park and move to Dundee are you, sunshine?

He said 'lets do this' not 'We can do this'.

Then he got some vile abuse including someone telling him they wished he'd died in Dunblane massacre.

one thing this result shows is that the leaders of the "Better Together" campaign would struggle to run a bath

There is no way that result should have been that close, but then again, when you look at who they drafted in, no wonder.

Glad it's remained the same, just waiting for the English referenda now to ask if we want to keep Scotland :-)

"We can do this!" says Andy. "We", mate? Gonna sell the houses in Florida and Wimbledon Park and move to Dundee are you, sunshine?

I think it's a bit unfair to expect Scots living outside Scotland to not have an opinion on the referendum. If a similar a process was occurring in England and I lived abroad, I would certainly have strong opinions because regardless of where I may reside at a given time, this will always be home. Given some of the anti-English outbursts of his youth, I actually think it was reasonably restrained from him

Also, the 'No' campaign was always going to be negative; the clue is in the word 'No'. It's been extremely irritating to have that used against unionists because Salmond and his ilk have painted a picture that saying 'Yes' means only positive things can happen (the recession that would have followed and the equity drain from Scotland would have been anything but), but the 'No' campaign was always going to be based around pointing out the things that can't happen and the things that would be worse because they were arguing for the status quo

What would crease me up would be if Scotland votes yes and immediately Shetland (who are voting no in some numbers) asked for a referendum to leave. With all the oil rights!

Sounds far-fetched, but there has been talk of it up there apparently.

They voted massively No by 2:1 or more, so they clearly don't want to be part of Salmond's Brave New World, the noo.  Maybe they would have gone for leaving Scotland in the event of a Yes vote.

article-2761216-217AA3D200000578-920_964

So Mr Cameron, will England now get free prescriptions, free university tuition + any other benefits Scotland already has + any other benefits you offered Scotland in your desperation surrender terms of last week?

Will in future any talk of 'independence be treated as rebellion/treason and be met by fierce uncompromising reprisals?

Well it was quite surreal that I found myself working up in North Lanarkshire yesterday - couldn't quite believe how much propaganda in terms of billboards/posters and placards were blazed literally everywhere. Every single lamppost had a yes or no sign on it.. some defaced some with LIAR below them. Then there was the streets I'd drive down and some would have Scottish flags some would have Union Jacks.  It almost felt a bit Northern Ireland in places. I reckon there is going to be some needle with the outcome of the vote over the next few weeks.

Interesting words from DC this morning.. Labour will still be getting twitchy if it loses its Scottish MPs.. long term I don't see how they can still be elected for Westminster?

They will but I would imagine Sots/Welsh/Irish only vote on UK matters like defence.

At least thats how I hope it works. It seems we're going full circle and Prescots regional assemblies will make a return.

Prescot's vision of regional assemblies were toothless, money-pit talking shops of needless beaurocracies. I would hope that any move towards federalism or genuine regional devolution would result in a fundamental reorganisation of politics in this country. Give regions their own tax raising and spending powers and direct control over some aspects. I'm not suggesting 'max devo' for every corner of Britain, but something similar to what the welsh have now or what Scotland had initially

Sorry, when I say a return of RA's I dont mean in the same format.

If power is devolved to the region's, the amount of MPs must be slashed, the lords axed and dare I say the role of local and parish councils be heavily examined.

They key in making and federation work, is to ensure the major cities don't dkminate, like Bath does within BANES.

Archived