IGNORED

So Then?....

prankerd

sams gone not a huge surprise from what cotts has been saying all week long made it pretty ovbious...but are we hearing any news today about a new striker? surely agard cant be it ? wilbs isnt gonna play 90 mins each week jets not getting a look in or seems that bothered and burns isnt proven..

in my eyes selling baldock was stupid ..selling thr captain and top goal scorer this late in the window makes no sense if your intent on going fot promotion this season ..why would it matter if sam left for free next year if he scored the goals to take us up? I think the club knew he was going in june and hence the 7 players were funded by sams evident departure..

all good in theory yet the club dont want to clarify this ..if we dont get a striker or goal keeper by monday ill be seriously doubting our chances of going up..dont do a arsenal and mess this up!

sams gone not a huge surprise from what cotts has been saying all week long made it pretty ovbious...but are we hearing any news today about a new striker? surely agard cant be it ? wilbs isnt gonna play 90 mins each week jets not getting a look in or seems that bothered and burns isnt proven..

in my eyes selling baldock was stupid ..selling thr captain and top goal scorer this late in the window makes no sense if your intent on going fot promotion this season ..why would it matter if sam left for free next year if he scored the goals to take us up? I think the club knew he was going in june and hence the 7 players were funded by sams evident departure..

all good in theory yet the club dont want to clarify this ..if we dont get a striker or goal keeper by monday ill be seriously doubting our chances of going up..dont do a arsenal and mess this up!

a season is over 46 games not 4,

sam has had 0 assists and 0 goals so far this season, its a loss yes but its not a season defining loss, if we sold him to sheffield united then it would be a problem,

We have 2 strikers here who both got 20 goals last season JeT and Agard, thats more then most teams in this league,

We got through to the play-off final with a striker only hitting 9 goals in a season, we went up last time with a striker only hitting around 12 - 14 goals (Jevons I can't remember how many he socred),

Sam isn't bristol city he is just one of the cogs, when a cog breaks you re-place it, If we keep tight at the back and 3 of our midfielders all score 5 goals each at least we'll be there or there abouts,

i'm interested to know exactly what you believe could have been done to keep Baldock? a player who obviously wanted to leave for what ever reason, this the 3rd instance in recent memory and i'm genuinely interested to know what you believe could have been done?.

Basso had a dream which turned out to be a nightmare and Maynard definitely has a fatter bank balance but now subject to rumours of a season long loan in league 1.

If we set a fee we wanted for Baldock (either to Brighton or privately) this summer, and someone met that, allowing Baldock to talk to them, and he chose to leave; nothing we could do.

Only alternative would have been to turn down any fee, but I'd suggest that might have led to Baldock putting in a request and forcing the issue.

And consider this; he isn't sold, and stick about.  Ends up scoring just a handful by Christmas, perhaps even losing his place to Agard, and as he's unwilling to resign, is sold in January for a pittance, or even waits out his contract for a chance to move, meaning we can't use any funds to replace him/strengthen the team.

Worse; what if he gets niggling injuries, makes only a few appearances, and again ends up scoring few and leaving for next to nothing?

Every transfer is a risk, both for club and player, but in this scenario I think we've done okay; money in the bank, a (younger) player with a decent record last time out in to replace him.

how do you know he asked to leave? if he asked to leave he would of gone ages ago

He obviously accepted the personnel deal Brighton offered. He also wanted to play again in the Championship. Surely it's clear he asked to go?

Put it another way - if he had wanted to stay then he would have stayed.

how do you know he asked to leave? if he asked to leave he would of gone ages ago

How do you know he didnt ask too leave........??

I was told that he had asked to leave if the deal could be sorted.

it's all immaterial, at the moment Brighton met our valuation and he said 'yes' to their offer, he wanted to leave and he's gone.

it's all immaterial, at the moment Brighton met our valuation and he said 'yes' to their offer, he wanted to leave and he's gone.

This is the thing; he didn't have to ask, he was given the option.

All this chat about making him stay; if he wasn't wanting a new deal, and we knew this, then the issue was always out of our hands.

Agard's still proven to be a good striker as we saw from last season, so although it is a big loss I don't think it's a devastating loss. I also don't think much could have been done to keep Baldock; we'd already turned down 6 offers and he said it himself that he wanted championship football. Proper professional and I wish him the best of luck but in my opinion Agard is definitely capable of replacing Baldock and I don't think it's that big a dent on our promotion challenge. 

To be honest if I was a Brighton fan I would be distinctly underwhelmed, a team allegedly gunning for the big time and the best they could do (after receiving big money for 2 players) is a striker from league 1 with no real pedigree in the championship and we have signed a player from the championship who has a pedigree in the league we are actually in.

So you think he would of signed a new contract?

He never asked to leave. There was risk involved, ie no guarantee of promotion with us... No deal/extension would be concluded at this point in time.

The valuation was met and he was free to discuss terms. It's hardly rocket science.

A rare deal - completed with integrity.

He never asked to leave. There was risk involved, ie no guarantee of promotion with us... No deal/extension would be concluded at this point in time.

The valuation was met and he was free to discuss terms. It's hardly rocket science.

A rare deal - completed with integrity.

I wouldn't be so sure on that fact. I would say the deal was completed professionally.

I think half the reason Agard came here, is because he was convinced by SC that he would be replacing Baldock. They were just waiting for Brighton to eventually offer the right amount.

Wilbs has done well since being here...hope it continues.

We can only hope Agard does as he did last season.

My biggest concern is that we cannot count on goals from JET.

He just hasn't performed or scored hardly any under SC.

Burns is still learning his trade and will imho eventually go out on loan if SC brings in another forward...and it's a big IF.

Imho...he has to bring in another forward. We are way too light up front, to be a force in this division with the four we have now.

For all the crap regarding the Maynard thread...if anything, I hope SC would consider bringing him here if bluebirds want to off load him for a season. Or at least someone else of that quality if we are serious about going up.

I think half the reason Agard came here, is because he was convinced by SC that he would be replacing Baldock. 

My biggest concern is that we cannot count on goals from JET.

He just hasn't performed or scored hardly any under SC.

Burns is still learning his trade and will imho eventually go out on loan if SC brings in another forward...and it's a big IF.

Agard didn't come in for any reason related to Baldock. That is speculative.

We won't be relying on JET on goals, not at this rate  ;)

As for loans, Burns is less likely.....

Agard didn't come in for any reason related to Baldock. That is speculative.

We won't be relying on JET on goals, not at this rate  ;)

As for loans, Burns is less likely.....

I'm not so sure fella... re Baldock and Agard.

If that wasn't the case, then SC and the board must have felt that Baldock, Wilbs, Agard, JET and Burns were needed for a proper push.

If we don't replace Baldock, then I will presume Agard was brought in as Baldocks replacement.

I still believe we need to have another quality forward and keeper to have at least a chance of going up now Sams gone.

I only hope JET finds some decent form...but being on the bench, only tells me that SC doesn't see enough quality consistently in training.

I'm not so sure fella... re Baldock and Agard.

If that wasn't the case, then SC and the board must have felt that Baldock, Wilbs, Agard, JET and Burns were needed for a proper push.

If we don't replace Baldock, then I will presume Agard was brought in as Baldocks replacement.

I still believe we need to have another quality forward and keeper to have at least a chance of going up now Sams gone.

I only hope JET finds some decent form...but being on the bench, only tells me that SC doesn't see enough quality consistently in training.

Or to suggest another equally likely possibility; perhaps Cotts didn't want to drop a guy who scored three in his first two games and, despite no goals, he wasn't going to take out his club captain?

Just as plausible as that, surely? 

cotts said in interview baldock was happy here .. doesnt matter if he goes away for free the extra income from promotion would make up for it..if your serious about promotion you dont sell your best players... and even if baldock wanted to go brighton hes contracted to bristol city ..I think hes professional enough to honor his contract and see if we progress if not he leaves.. easy..

like I said we didnt need to sell ...

To be honest if I was a Brighton fan I would be distinctly underwhelmed, a team allegedly gunning for the big time and the best they could do (after receiving big money for 2 players) is a striker from league 1 with no real pedigree in the championship and we have signed a player from the championship who has a pedigree in the league we are actually in.

That's made me wonder why they didn't go for Agard themselves, everyone is saying they are similar and he was cheaper afterall?

That's made me wonder why they didn't go for Agard themselves, everyone is saying they are similar and he was cheaper afterall?

Similar? That's not true.

One of these players own a tacky/fake golden boot. The other does not.

One is also a liar and should speak above the echelon of our club. One has not yet been tested to such rigorous questioning.

Archived