IGNORED

Best City Keeper?

SCANTS-CTID

The OP said 10 years. If you judge a keeper on the level playing now then Heaton (Burnley Prem) then Deano (Ipswich Champ) would have to be the best assuming both are better than anyone currently at AG. I would guess that if Basso had been 10 years younger he would have achieved his move to a higher level.

If you judge by career achievement then buying the current England keeper James would have to figure.

Best keeper for City in my lifetime? The legend Gibbo.

Always felt safe with Gibbo in goal, though his lack of height was a disadvantage.  He still claimed crosses well.

Cashley was a good bloke and OK in division 2, but when we got promoted, the other teams found his weakness as he would just stand and watch a hard shot from distance shoot into the net without moving.

For me, the best was John Shaw, though Jan Moller was pretty good too, but was not with us for very long.

Who was the worst though?

Bang on, he wore the number 2 shirt against Stoke in the Auto windscreens final Wembley, confused the commentators no end.

The noise of Delilah ringing out from the Stokies still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

i remember before the game each team got to pick a song to be played over the tannoy stoke naturally picked Delilah and some absolute knob picked hi ho silver lining! :angry:

Ray Cashley. Even scored a goal against Hull City.

First keeper I ever saw was Mike Gibson and he wasn't bad.

Snap! MG was the first goalie I saw and wondered how we'd ever replace him. I just didn't rate RC when he came in, but he grew into the role.

Gibson was signed from Shrewsbury despite John Atyeo frequently scoring past him. Cardiff hit three past Mike when he played for City and he still won Man of the Match as everyone (City & Cardiff) agreed he was the best player on the pitch. Peter Godsiff referred to him as chunky and fearless.

Going back to the late forties, City hit eight past Dartmouth in a Cup game, then signed their goalie because our then Manager reckoned he was better than the one we had. In the fifties Tony Cook was both good & bad in spells, so I believe Anderson(?) was signed from the gas.

In the late eighties, Keith Waugh was a useful goalie. After our run to the League Cup semi final he was signed by Coventry to be their reserve keeper.

Andy Leaning was a useful goalie. When Steve Phillips took over in goal I was assured he wasn't the finished article, but like Ray Cashley he developed. As has been posted Adriano B also impressed.

i remember before the game each team got to pick a song to be played over the tannoy stoke naturally picked Delilah and some absolute knob picked hi ho silver lining! :angry:

No idea of his name but that would be our 'Commercial Director' or somesuch at the time, one of the biggest bellends ever to be associated with City.

He approached the football league before that game to ask that, if we won, could the trophy please be presented to our mascot (city Cat at the time I think), rather than the captain as this would be more 'family friendly'.

The suggestion was rightly laughed out of the door

No idea of his name but that would be our 'Commercial Director' or somesuch at the time, one of the biggest bellends ever to be associated with City.

He approached the football league before that game to ask that, if we won, could the trophy please be presented to our mascot (city Cat at the time I think), rather than the captain as this would be more 'family friendly'.

Richard Gould?

I think it was this modest chap: http://www.sportspromedia.com/notes_and_insights/soccers_new_leader/

The Bristol City part of his extensive career comes a little over halfway down, by the second picture. Turns out he was then "wooed" away by the FA, which I imagine was much like when Portsmouth poached Tony Pulis from us.

Basso is the best keeper we've ever had without a doubt.

Jan Moller runs him close as he was so imposing.

Of the rest, John Shaw was very good and should have played for Scotland. Tom Heaton was an extremely good keeper and worthy of a mention as is the much maligned David James, there's not many keepers who can say they've saved two penalties in a match as James did at Reading.

Best City keeper I seen at Ashton Gate was Kevin Keelan of Norwich City. Remember once in a top flight game we went 3-0 up after about 15 mins. Keelan then badly injured his hand, remained in goal and stopped everything thereafter with his feet. Despite numerous attempts we couldn't add to the tally and if memory serves we gave him a standing ovation at the end of the game. Also seen him perform brilliantly in several games before that.

The best Bristol City goalkeepers I have seen have all been mentioned, Gibson, Miller, Waugh, Welch, Basso etc. But one who has slipped the net is Len Bond. I remember he was chosen to keep goal in the South West heats of the young penalty taker of the year challenge on Saturday lunchtime ITV prog On the Ball hosted by Brian Moore and the fact nobody in that heat reached the final shows what a great keeper he was (or how bad the pen takers were in our heat). I recall he played a couple of games for us in the top flight before he got injured in a game at Aston Villa. Then I think he went to Exeter.

Coincidentally, in the 1980s when I lived in Whitchurch Mike Gibson knocked on my door one day with a parcel in his hands. I was just recovering from that shock when Ray Cashley knocked on my door one evening later that same week selling scratchcards for Weston super Mare F.C.

Archived