IGNORED

Best City Keeper?

SCANTS-CTID

Best City keeper I seen at Ashton Gate was Kevin Keelan of Norwich City. Remember once in a top flight game we went 3-0 up after about 15 mins. Keelan then badly injured his hand, remained in goal and stopped everything thereafter with his feet. Despite numerous attempts we couldn't add to the tally and if memory serves we gave him a standing ovation at the end of the game. Also seen him perform brilliantly in several games before that.

The best Bristol City goalkeepers I have seen have all been mentioned, Gibson, Miller, Waugh, Welch, Basso etc. But one who has slipped the net is Len Bond. I remember he was chosen to keep goal in the South West heats of the young penalty taker of the year challenge on Saturday lunchtime ITV prog On the Ball hosted by Brian Moore and the fact nobody in that heat reached the final shows what a great keeper he was (or how bad the pen takers were in our heat). I recall he played a couple of games for us in the top flight before he got injured in a game at Aston Villa. Then I think he went to Exeter.

Coincidentally, in the 1980s when I lived in Whitchurch Mike Gibson knocked on my door one day with a parcel in his hands. I was just recovering from that shock when Ray Cashley knocked on my door one evening later that same week selling scratchcards for Weston super Mare F.C.

Remember him well - he always played a blinder against us for Norwich.  Always, not once in a while, it was every season.

Keith Waugh was in goal when I first started watching City, Ronnie Sinclair is definitely one of my favourites as is Keith Welch.

Phillips was ok, Basso was better. I liked Heaton.

Overall Sinclair for me.

Ronnie Sinclair pretty much a number 2 throughout his career. Played 40 odd games for us and 232 apperences in an 18 year career.

Strange choice for me. Imo

Basso, had we gone up in 08 I think he would've been seen as one of the best in the Premier League. Like Marshall with Cardiff last year, always been a top keeper but as soon as they reach Prem pundits take notice

I've got to disagree, had we gone up he would have been found out for the clown he was. You never see Marshall make the sort of mistakes that Basso made, his athletic saves were evened out by his clown like antics.

Ronnie Sinclair pretty much a number 2 throughout his career. Played 40 odd games for us and 232 apperences in an 18 year career.

Strange choice for me. Imo

Perhaps my choice is influenced by nostalgia, he was the keeper we had the season I was first allowed to go to the Gate with my mates so would've only been 11 or 12. I thought he was a pretty decent keeper plus i dont really care about 'career stats' if Im honest. Not necessarily the best but my favourite.

Without doubt, Moller was our best keeper during my time, unfortunately we saw too little of him and his time here was in a relegation bound team. I'm absolutely sure he would have become a legend.

Basso was great and his positivity rubbed off on the team but, he was in a good team, not one travelling downwards, there's a big difference to peoples perception of abilities. Mollers credentials were good.

Archived