IGNORED

New Stadium

Colombo Robin

and where the hell would we play while they were doing that?,

Don't worry my friend.  We won't be moving or playing anywhere else for the next 100 years.  So we'll have to wait till then for this design to come up again and they will still say it costs too much!  We're just not a big enough club to do something like that.

I am still quite annoyed that they never considered rotating the ground. We could have had a far bigger stadium capacity of 30,000+. Put it down for costs of doing it but it would have been the same as Ashton Vale site and the club had already chosen the plan they wanted.

Anyway I have been playing around with this design again. Still not quite finished but I am getting there. This wasn't my original design it is done by another person but I altered it a bit. Just to show what could have been done.

aerialrotate1-Copy-Copy_zpsa0f5a8ac.png

I have done it in red now (so it won't show the rust).

I'd lose me bloody shed!

I'd lose me bloody shed!

You wouldn't lose your shed mate, you'd gain a brand new one. This would be put up at the back of the new east end corner. The club would also provide you with stepladders and a dodgy wooden fence to make you feel at home. The inside of the shed would be used as a corporate box on match days for you and your friends to have a good piss up, so long as you pull your curtains across. We recognising your legend and this is a fitting tribute to you.

Love the redevelopment but when and if we start getting big crowds what about the parking it,s a nightmare now . If you live away like me and have to get there so early . when you work Saturday mornings not good .

What makes you think AV would have been any better though? its only a mile up the road! If you can walk 15 mins to the ground there is plenty of street parking around. You just have to know where to look ;) Even with bigger crowds! Or you could use the long ashton park and ride? Im not sure if the club are considering building another one on the AV site!?

When ever the parking issue comes up it does make me wonder how other clubs cope.. We are not the only stadium that is in a residential /built area up with limited parking are we..

Just had a quick look at an aerial view on google maps at both Molineux and Bramall lane just two random examples and Parking on both sites is as bad (if not worse at bramall lane). Does beg the question if either clubs have massive issue's or is it just our fans making a bit of a fuss over nothing..

When ever the parking issue comes up it does make me wonder how other clubs cope.. We are not the only stadium that is in a residential /built area up with limited parking are we..

Just had a quick look at an aerial view on google maps at both Molineux and Bramall lane just two random examples and Parking on both sites is as bad (if not worse at bramall lane). Does beg the question if either clubs have massive issue's or is it just our fans making a bit of a fuss over nothing..

The latter for sure!

What makes you think AV would have been any better though? its only a mile up the road! If you can walk 15 mins to the ground there is plenty of street parking around. You just have to know where to look ;) Even with bigger crowds! Or you could use the long ashton park and ride? Im not sure if the club are considering building another one on the AV site!?

There may be plenty of parking if you're coming from some directions, in other areas it's awful. I used to park in Clifton / Hotwells and it was a 15 minute walk. There was never any problem, but Mr Red Trousers has introduced a parking zone. I now park 30 minutes walk away. O.K. in good weather but when the winter / rain comes it will be dire. Next year the other Clifton parking zone comes into operation and I'll end up parking in Thornbury (slight exaggeration).

The club really must address the problem of getting large crowds to & from the ground, in the assumption that we will be successful on the future.

There may be plenty of parking if you're coming from some directions, in other areas it's awful. I used to park in Clifton / Hotwells and it was a 15 minute walk. There was never any problem, but Mr Red Trousers has introduced a parking zone. I now park 30 minutes walk away. O.K. in good weather but when the winter / rain comes it will be dire. Next year the other Clifton parking zone comes into operation and I'll end up parking in Thornbury (slight exaggeration).

The club really must address the problem of getting large crowds to & from the ground, in the assumption that we will be successful on the future.

You can park in Bedminster/southville if you find the right streets. But shhh don't tell anyone

There's an article on the Bristol Sport website about how they're backing the proposed plan to reopen the railway line to Portishead, which would include a station at Ashton.

Not for long. New parking zones will be introduced there next summer.

Ashton and southville are only at consultation stage however, even if they do go ahead the proposed days of operation are Monday to Friday and not weekends. Weekday evenings will only be up to 5pm so we should be ok for all game times

I've noticed that certain roads now have signs up saying "No parking 2hours before a football game and 1 hour after" !!

Many of the streets around there have had those signs for years...normally only on one side of the road. Once or twice a season the old bill have a field day issuing tickets

feels like a conspiracy from red trousers inc!!

They have even introduced metered parking at Bower Ashton by the allotments -- never should be a metered area. If you are coming in from the west it is getting impossible to park and the club should really be in serious discussion with the council on this!

If they ever open the Portishead line, I hope they will also open the other line of Weston to Portishead. That would mean I could get on at Nailsea/Backwell straight to Ashton Gate. The area next to the allotment would make a good place for the station, it would be straight across the road to Ashton Gate, or in my case turn right and towards the robins first.

C'mon Red trousers get this sorted.

ag_zps3c48dbb1.jpg

Wasn't there gonna be a deal to use the various park and ride sites on matchdays? That still seems like a decent option to me. Use the one on the Portway for those coming off the motorway, the one in Bris for us east Bristol supporters and any other ones around the city.

If they ever open the Portishead line, I hope they will also open the other line of Weston to Portishead. That would mean I could get on at Nailsea/Backwell straight to Ashton Gate. The area next to the allotment would make a good place for the station, it would be straight across the road to Ashton Gate, or in my case turn right and towards the robins first.

C'mon Red trousers get this sorted.

ag_zps3c48dbb1.jpg

Isn't the new Freightliner Depot now in the way? Difficult to tell from the aerial photo

I wonder how many of those houses he already owns. I was in Greville Smyths park yesterday ( being killed by a female trainer ) and saw that lots of youngsters wearing Bristol Sport attire both of red and blue coming to and going from or recieving deliveries into those houses.

It is a common urban myth the club/people linked with the club own any of those houses. They don't.

Re-opening the Portishead line will be useful for people who live in Portishead, Pill etc, but it will only provide a small improvement in the overall parking problem. Unfortunately some options are beyond the control of the club as they depend on actions to be taken by the local councils. That said, if the club is really serious about being successful and therefore attracting large crowds, it should be working with all the stakeholders to put together some solutions. Maybe this is happening in the background?

There's an article on the Bristol Sport website about how they're backing the proposed plan to reopen the railway line to Portishead, which would include a station at Ashton.

At present there is no plan for a new station at Ashton although hopefully this view may change especially with City backing the proposal.

The present plan is for new stations at Portishead and Pill.

Incredible that a 27,000 stadium with a rail line running past may not be provided with a station.

Only in Bristol could this happen..

At present there is no plan for a new station at Ashton although hopefully this view may change especially with City backing the proposal.

The present plan is for new stations at Portishead and Pill.

Incredible that a 27,000 stadium with a rail line running past may not be provided with a station.

Only in Bristol could this happen..

They will tear up the track and make a cycle path !

Re-opening the Portishead line will be useful for people who live in Portishead, Pill etc, but it will only provide a small improvement in the overall parking problem. Unfortunately some options are beyond the control of the club as they depend on actions to be taken by the local councils. That said, if the club is really serious about being successful and therefore attracting large crowds, it should be working with all the stakeholders to put together some solutions. Maybe this is happening in the background?

A lot of work is going on behind the scenes to advance the case for a station / halt at Ashton Gate, not just for matchdays but to serve the local community and businesses in the area. The council are fully behind the proposal, but we need to make a strong business case to Network Rail to justify the cost of a new station. They have strict criteria relating to potential usage through the week, not just on matchdays. There are also other issues to do with possible electrification and the availability of rolling stock.

The Portishead line would go all the way to Temple Meads, with an enhanced link at Parson Street. This would open up access to Ashton Gate not only for people travelling from Portishead, but also from the centre and from stations on the Taunton / Weston Super Mare line.

There are two proposed sites for a station / halt: The existing one which is underneath the flyover on the Cumberland basin, or the site behind the Ford garage by the allotments as indicated in Peter O'H's post above.

The proposed train line has hit problems at the portishead end as the route would allegedly require a level crossing - something that is not acceptable under current health and safety rules...

Not so much problems more like a decision that needs to be made correctly. It is important that they get the Station location right first time as they will only get one stab at it. There are opportunities that have not been considered and an independent report has been requested and the council have put money up to pay for the report. We're told that due to the existing long winded time-line already in existence this will not add any further delays.

A lot of work is going on behind the scenes to advance the case for a station / halt at Ashton Gate, not just for matchdays but to serve the local community and businesses in the area. The council are fully behind the proposal, but we need to make a strong business case to Network Rail to justify the cost of a new station. They have strict criteria relating to potential usage through the week, not just on matchdays. There are also other issues to do with possible electrification and the availability of rolling stock.

The Portishead line would go all the way to Temple Meads, with an enhanced link at Parson Street. This would open up access to Ashton Gate not only for people travelling from Portishead, but also from the centre and from stations on the Taunton / Weston Super Mare line.

There are two proposed sites for a station / halt: The existing one which is underneath the flyover on the Cumberland basin, or the site behind the Ford garage by the allotments as indicated in Peter O'H's post above.

Thanks Dave for your input

From what I have heard one of the problems is that the section where a Aston Gate station would be built is/will be double track.

This means two platforms are required doubling costs and harming the business case.

Portishead and Pill would only need to be single platforms.

Archived