IGNORED

New Stadium

Colombo Robin

Just to point out,

The old platform is still there at Ashton gate halt it wouldn't be costly to reopen that

The main cost would be bring the track up to commenter standards as well as resignalling and a remodeling parson street which would also bring the relief lines back into use at parson st and bedminster

There is a lot of work to the signaling that will take place in the next 10 years as the signaling will be controlled by the super panel at didcot,

If I do hear anything I will let you know ( dates etc)

I wonder how many of those houses he already owns. I was in Greville Smyths park yesterday ( being killed by a female trainer ) and saw that lots of youngsters wearing Bristol Sport attire both of red and blue coming to and going from or recieving deliveries into those houses.

A lot of those houses are separated into small flats. As far as I know they are all privately owned properties, some in their original layout (as a 3/4 bed house) and some as bedsits. I suspect the people you have seen leaving those houses are having their accommodation paid for by the club to private landlords. It's the perfect location to house young lads involved in the club who are not from Bristol.

There are two proposed sites for a station / halt: The existing one which is underneath the flyover on the Cumberland basin, or the site behind the Ford garage by the allotments as indicated in Peter O'H's post above.

Just to be clear, it is situated under (or just beyond) the a370 LA bypass, not the cumberland basin (which is much further away).

Interestingly, the section of line between the old station and the ford garage is also to be used by the new metro brt (bus rapid transit) route from the centre to ashton vale via create centre and spike island. I would hope this would strengthen the business case since the two routes could work in tandem in serving much of south bristol, with any new station forming a mini hub.

• Admin

The main cost would be bring the track up to commenter standards as well as resignalling and a remodeling parson street which would also bring the relief lines back into use at parson st and bedminster

But the line is active now, what additional works would need to take place?

I have just been looking through this old maps website. I thought it was quite interesting. Can anyone tell me when it was a cricket/football club, the ground was in a different position, somewhere were the bowling club is now. Looking at the map of 1916-18, this shows our football club, the cricket is gone, but why would have the ground moved?

Also the 1904 map shows the first few houses on Ashton Road. Looking at some of the maps I got a feeling that Shed man could be standing on the original East end.

Here is the link: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html  You need to click on the main map until you get to Ashton gate, but be careful it has a mind of its own at times. Once you have got to Ashton Gate, on the right hand side of the map it shows all the available maps through the years. Go to 1904 and then 1916-18.

I have just been looking through this old maps website. I thought it was quite interesting. Can anyone tell me when it was a cricket/football club, the ground was in a different position, somewhere were the bowling club is now. Looking at the map of 1916-18, this shows our football club, the cricket is gone, but why would have the ground moved?

Also the 1904 map shows the first few houses on Ashton Road. Looking at some of the maps I got a feeling that Shed man could be standing on the original East end.

Here is the link: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html  You need to click on the main map until you get to Ashton gate, but be careful it has a mind of its own at times. Once you have got to Ashton Gate, on the right hand side of the map it shows all the available maps through the years. Go to 1904 and then 1916-18.

I've seen a similar map on the "know your place Bristol" site. It appears to show the ground generally a bit south east of where it is now. I've tried find out, but there doesn't seem to be any record of when the old number 1 and number 2 stands where built. However, looking at my copy of "Bristol City A Complete History 1894-1987" a Western Daily Press match report from 1904 describes Ashton Gate as having 2 grandstands each seating 1200 and an open terrace at the park end with a capacity of 8000. It's possible the map has got the positioning slightly wrong.

Know your place Bristol is pretty interesting as it has complete aerial photography of Bristol in 1946. Sort of google maps for 1946! 

It needs relaying it's only suitable for freight not passenger trains,

It's currently a token line it will need to be completely resignalled which also means lifting te track for cables and installing track circets etc

Am I right in thinking that Ashton Junction to the Portbury Dock gate is a single section at the moment?

It needs relaying it's only suitable for freight not passenger trains,

It's currently a token line it will need to be completely resignalled which also means lifting te track for cables and installing track circets etc

But would undoubtedly pay for itself very quickly Monkeh, i'm sure if there was a reliable, regular, cheap service into central Bristol, it would be well used 7 days a week. it's yet another shame on Bristol and it's poxy useless politicians.

Am I right in thinking that Ashton Junction to the Portbury Dock gate is a single section at the moment?

you are indeed correct,

it was single line until it got to portishead where a loop use to be, it use to be double and Ashton Gate use to have two platfroms,

It could be re-doubled again to be honest but the cost will be the issue, I'm sure that is being talked about now in private

Yes it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it remained single line when/if the Portishead branch is reopened to the public. I'm not sure how much space Network Rail have to play with on that side of the Avon Gorge from the Nightingale Valley through to Pill.

But would undoubtedly pay for itself very quickly Monkeh, i'm sure if there was a reliable, regular, cheap service into central Bristol, it would be well used 7 days a week. it's yet another shame on Bristol and it's poxy useless politicians.

Given how much Portishead has grown in recent decades I think it's amazing that this line hasn't already been reopened. I'm sure people who travel into Bristol from Clevedon would be tempted to use it as well.

• Admin

Yes it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it remained single line when/if the Portishead branch is reopened to the public. I'm not sure how much space Network Rail have to play with on that side of the Avon Gorge from the Nightingale Valley through to Pill.

Depending on the frequency of trains, would assume it would be on a part with the Severn Beach line - would assume one line would be more than suitable

Depending on the frequency of trains, would assume it would be on a part with the Severn Beach line - would assume one line would be more than suitable

I would think there would ether be a train once an hour or every half hour,

the problem is solved with loops being installed at stations like on the servern beach line or alot of the lines in north wales,

the safest way is double lines with an up and down but single lines are fine,

Absolutely, one train up and down an hour would be sufficient off peak. I don't know the frequency of freight traffic on the line during the day but that's something for the pathing people to deal with.

I would think there would ether be a train once an hour or every half hour,

the problem is solved with loops being installed at stations like on the servern beach line or alot of the lines in north wales,

the safest way is double lines with an up and down but single lines are fine,

didnt have you down as one of these **** in a mac train spotters monk!!

the level crossing issue is simple in portishead as well, install a footbridge for pedestrions and a full double barrier crossing for traffic,

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The official policy of The Office of Rail Regulation is:

"other than in exceptional circumstances, no new level crossings on any railway therefore creating no new risks....."

To build the new Portishead station in the ideal position, The Office of Rail Regulation has to be persuaded that there are exceptional reasons. Otherwise it will be built towards the outskirts of the town. Wherever it goes it shouldn't, hopefully, delay the project

This has now become the nerdiest and most technical thing I've ever seen on here though!

Ha, thats nothing. Those of us within the industry could get REAL nerdy on yo ass by talking about things like tokenless block, turn back signals and low rail adhesion issues. You can meet me an Monkeh on the end of Plat 2 at Didcot Parkway...bring a flask.

NTTDS will be your guide for the day. ;)

The Portishead line was always single apart from the section Parson Street to Clifton Bridge Station (bottom of Rownham Hill).

When reopened to freight the double section was cut back but when reopened the double line will again be extended over the level crossing to Rownham Hill

there was a loop at Portishead its still there,

Trust me

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The official policy of The Office of Rail Regulation is:

"other than in exceptional circumstances, no new level crossings on any railway therefore creating no new risks....."

To build the new Portishead station in the ideal position, The Office of Rail Regulation has to be persuaded that there are exceptional reasons. Otherwise it will be built towards the outskirts of the town. Wherever it goes it shouldn't, hopefully, delay the project

the local council think they have a case,

Personally I think they have a decent chance too but it will go down to frequncey of trains, if its one a hour they will prob get a L/C if its half hourly the prob won't

don't gate me started on sandite and close calls pete :)

Archived