IGNORED

4 Points Clear At The Top.

Robbored

After 12 Orient they had 32 points and Peterborough 31. Obviously neither got promoted. Both incredible starts.

Long season and you need a good squad.

Quite a sobering stat when looked at like that.

A settled side obviously helps, but any side, us included, are only a couple of injuries and a suspension away from looking quite different.

The 'plus' is our 'run' actually is quite a bit longer than just the eight games, and is I guess about half a season of pretty much promotion form, and clearly the squad looks better than last season. We can but dream, hope, keep our fingers crossed and enjoy it while it lasts!

Either way, sure as heck beats last four years!

And so we don't get carried away, last season Orient had 24 points after 8 games ... Yes won every one.

Not a bad stat and example to keep close; if I was Cotts I'd be saying this to the players, then challenging them to better it.

And to add balance; after 8 matches last year Wolves only had 19 points and a +9 goal difference.  

Let's hope we follow the trajectory of the latter.

It's looking good but there are still unanswered questions like:how will the players react to defeat? Is there strength in depth within the squad?

And of course we're only 8 games into the season. But yeah, I agree, with this squad and the team spirit that appears to exist I can see us having a very good season.

True. However by Xmas they had lots of injury problems and were unable to properly replace the players. If that happens to us i believe we'll have the resources to deal with it.

Agree on all points, though losing to Oxford (with a much changed side, admittedly) didn't slow us any, and I do think that having the likes of Osborne, Wagstaff, Pack, Cunningham and JET on the bench (all of whom I feel came out of last season with some significant credit, unlike many) means we've at least some depth, although think in one or two areas we do need to watch for injuries.

All together, it is a good start, but only a start; the next three games could provide our most through examination yet.  

Fleetwood started even better than us, but now are staring down the barrel of a fifth game without victory unless the beat Barnsley, and have only scored once in their last four league games, so a real unknown quantity.  Hope to catch them like we did Vale; in the midst of a decline in form, but any side who can exit August unbeaten in the league must have something about them.

MK Dons; hammer five past Barnsley, then fall at home to Bradford, as well as lose their manager to a likely touchline ban in the process.  Seem to score at will, which will prove an good test of our (currently strong looking) defence.  That said; they ship 'em too, with five going past them in what is actually only the last game, plus ten minutes.  Granted; they were 5 nil up at Barnsley, but that slip, plus tonight's result underlines they can't be all that impenetrable (plus, that is more in 100 minutes than we've conceded this season). 

Walsall.... who knows?  See off Preston 3-1, only to get smashed by Rochdale, and have already forced draws with Orient and Bradford, while doing exactly the same with Vale and Colchester, who are both in the bottom four.  God knows what sort of test that will be, but their erratic form mark them out to me as a potential banana skin.

Archived