IGNORED

I'm Not Listening To The Forum 'sages' Anymore

RedM

When was it ever different? this is BCFC more downs than up's, that's the way it has always been, at least with his money we have a chance of eventually getting it right and possibly even sustaining it, what chance would we have without it?.

Do you have a better idea about financing the club?

I don't have to have an idea about financing the club but surely spend, spend, spend and leaving yourself with a 18M wage bill and a huge debt 'chasing the dream' is not a good way of running a football club.  Its not good business sense full stop.

Take a leaf out of Posh or particularly Swansea's book in recent times on how to be sustainable but successful football club.

I don't have to have an idea about financing the club but surely spend, spend, spend and leaving yourself with a 18M wage bill and a huge debt 'chasing the dream' is not a good way of running a football club. Its not good business sense full stop.

Take a leaf out of Posh or particularly Swansea's book in recent times on how to be sustainable but successful football club.

Yet if he didn't do that you'd be on hear screaming for him to get his cheque book out

Also you forget to mention the state of the art training ground we now how the car 2 academy we now have the 1.5 million pound pitch we now have

We are much better off with them here with out them we'd be struggling like the gas full stop

I don't have to have an idea about financing the club but surely spend, spend, spend and leaving yourself with a 18M wage bill and a huge debt 'chasing the dream' is not a good way of running a football club.  Its not good business sense full stop.

Take a leaf out of Posh or particularly Swansea's book in recent times on how to be sustainable but successful football club.

We all make mistakes, fortunately SL can afford his particular mistakes and easy to see how he could have got caught up in the emotion of a 'near miss' especially with a strong character like GJ, who probably convinced him to 'go for it', that's how you learn lessons.

Yet if he didn't do that you'd be on hear screaming for him to get his cheque book out

Also you forget to mention the state of the art training ground we now how the car 2 academy we now have the 1.5 million pound pitch we now have

We are much better off with them here with out them we'd be struggling like the gas full stop

Not really, I personally don't think splashing the cash is the answer to everything.

And lets be honest your final comment is pure speculation but yes he has built a very good infrastructure like Failand and the academy, just a shame that it seems to have been wasted for a few years now.

Their season started to come undone when a certain West Country side went to Brisbane Rd and walloped them...

Yes and that was after they cheated by breaking the flood lights in the scheduled game.  So they got exactly what they deserved,  "what goes around comes around"

i've read his post and all of yours, so the way we should have gone was to have kept SOD, let the pain continue including another possible relegation and sit back and wait for the academy to bear fruit, if indeed it ever would because there is even less guarantees with that strategy and do you honestly believe that to be viable strategy?.

I am more inclined to go with this from BCFC Dan, "Bringing in "5 pillars" and O'Driscoll 12-18 months ago was the right move at completely the wrong time. It's impossible to develop young players to play in the right way at a club that's in a downward spiral and without a solid core of senior players to help the youngsters. It was doomed to failure, but it wasn't a bad idea in itself.

With positive momentum generated by Cotterill, the logical next step will be to focus on the development further down the club. I hope that the development squads are being coached according to the ideals spoken by O'Driscoll and that players can and will be brought in to the first team carefully".

I haven't implied that at all mate.

If you read my posts properly you would understand this has nothing to do with SoD still being here.

I just want the Club run by the Club, not by one man.

Each man has a job to do...you cannot allow one man to overlord others and undermine their jobs...what happens when that one man leaves? Back to square one.... that's what.

It's great SC is getting results...lets hope we get promotion with him.

But if he leaves and the next man comes in and finds a backroom staff in turmoil...don't be surprised if it all goes wrong again.

BT has a job to do...SC should let him get on with it.

I haven't implied that at all mate.

If you read my posts properly you would understand this has nothing to do with SoD still being here.

I just want the Club run by the Club, not by one man.

Each man has a job to do...you cannot allow one man to overlord others and undermine their jobs...what happens when that one man leaves? Back to square one.... that's what.

It's great SC is getting results...lets hope we get promotion with him.

But if he leaves and the next man comes in and finds a backroom staff in turmoil...don't be surprised if it all goes wrong again.

BT has a job to do...SC should let him get on with it.

Ok so you are saying that SC is stopping BT doing his job properly?

I didn't know much about Cotterill when he was appointed but many 'wise'posters were shouting very loudly against him.

It was about 90% of posters from recollection who groaned when SC was rumoured to be in for the job, let alone the dissent when he was eventually appointed.

That was largely based on 1) the selection process (with him being a known long-time friend of a certain board member) and 2) SC's reputation as a manager, particularly at Forest and Pompey. There was practically audible laughter from twitter when the announcement was made.

For whatever reasons a lot of people in football don't have a particularly high opinion of SC, granted there are clearly some who do have a high opinion of him.

As such, it was hardly surprising SC received a cold reception at AG from such a large proportion of the fan base.

SC has done well so far. Personally he ain't my cup of tea but I have always said I think he'll succeed here - particularly since January when it became obvious the purse strings were being loosened for him. As Cowshed said earlier, and as I've said before, we have a huge budget at this level and Burt/SC have handpicked half a dozen or so of the best young players in this league.

I cannot recall such an obvious and fantastic opportunity for automatic promotion in the time I have been supporting City.

SL/The Board have clearly decided that with a weakish League One and watching (and laughing) at the demise of R*vers, NOW is the time to strike and get us straight back up to the C'ship. So far it looks like we're on course....

Only hoping Steve Lansdown has learnt a lesson in that face-value only gets us so far.

Gary Johnson got the first team successful, temporally. Did I not read that the youth teams are now playing to the same system as the first team? Now? Don't know if that is enough evidence to convince that we are infra-structurally sound or not, but you have to hope lessons have been learnt and we're off for round 2.

How SL earned his millions and how a successful football club is run is not, unfortunately, a transferable skill.

On footballforums.net yesterday I had a normally sensible Burnley fan saying,

"Nothing against Bristol City but nice to see Cotterill has finally found his level. ".

Needless to say I took offence, let's hope we are playing them next season and Cotterill has the ability at Championship level to ram their words down their throats. Time will tell.

http://www.footballforums.net/showthread.php/309328-Port-Vale-Bristol-City?p=9085335&viewfull=1#post9085335 

I have to agree with you... I think a lot of SoD's and other like minded managers thoughts and ideas are lost on British players.

It's ok in the Prem as you have lots of foreign players who have grown up playing 'technical' football.

As Arsene Wenger once said, when asked why he doesn't sign many British players...'I prefer Intelligent players'.

I think a lot of the youngsters coming through in England now have grown up around foreign players and coaches and now have some idea of what is being asked of them. So I think SoD will do fine at the FA.

I had the fortune to speak to Gareth Southgate down in Salcombe recently and he was very happy at his appointment their.

This, I think, is important and there's a danger of it being missed.

I think a case in point is the "improvement" in Aden Flint this season. Last season SO'D had him thinking about every move he made on the pitch, every decision he made, and every ball he hit. The result was mistakes that we could ill afford at the time. Although I have no proof of this, I wonder if Cotterill has simplified things for Flint by telling him exactly where to be and what to do in each situation. The result is definitely more effective at this level (a hoofed clearance on Tuesday night led to our 3rd goal; last season he might have dwelt on the ball and we might have conceded), but without making players think about what they're doing they'll never be amongst the best.

There's an argument to be made here that the likes of Aden Flint will never be amongst the best, no matter how they are coached, and that the best thing to do is use them effectively. I can go along with that and I think it's the right policy for right now. But we'll never produce players of top ability if they're not encouraged to think for themselves. Somewhere down the line the policy has to change from "do this because I told you to" to "do this because you've correctly decided to do it".

On footballforums.net yesterday I had a normally sensible Burnley fan saying,

"Nothing against Bristol City but nice to see Cotterill has finally found his level. ".

Needless to say I took offence, let's hope we are playing them next season and Cotterill has the ability at Championship level to ram their words down their throats. Time will tell.

http://www.footballforums.net/showthread.php/309328-Port-Vale-Bristol-City?p=9085335&viewfull=1#post9085335 

I think it is more that Cotterill has found his right club, not his right level.

The same was true with Gary Johnson. We all know that he was branded  a conference manager, but because he found us to be the right club at the right time and formed a successful working relationship with SL he confounded his critics, until, as with almost all managers , it eventually turned sour - as it will for SC eventually. 

Cotterill has obviously had good financial backing, probably the envy of most other managers in the division, but he has handled his purchases pretty astutely, and turned things around much quicker than any of ever expected. If we achieve promotion this season it will be interesting to see whether he can continue things at the next level and only then will we know whether the Burnley fan was right or not. 

I think a case in point is the "improvement" in Aden Flint this season. Last season SO'D had him thinking about every move he made on the pitch, every decision he made, and every ball he hit. The result was mistakes that we could ill afford at the time. Although I have no proof of this, I wonder if Cotterill has simplified things for Flint by telling him exactly where to be and what to do in each situation. The result is definitely more effective at this level (a hoofed clearance on Tuesday night led to our 3rd goal; last season he might have dwelt on the ball and we might have conceded), but without making players think about what they're doing they'll never be amongst the best.

There's an argument to be made here that the likes of Aden Flint will never be amongst the best, no matter how they are coached, and that the best thing to do is use them effectively. I can go along with that and I think it's the right policy for right now. But we'll never produce players of top ability if they're not encouraged to think for themselves. Somewhere down the line the policy has to change from "do this because I told you to" to "do this because you've correctly decided to do it".

Good post.

And you've cited the perfect example as Flint did pass the ball back last season which led to a last minute Port Vale equaliser, whereas the other night he did hoof the clearance and we've scored!

Thing is most fans don't care about these subtle differences as they only care about the moment and winning. Glad there are other like-minded, intelligent City fans on OTIB willing to debate these things. Shame there is the usual minority of small-minded folk on this thread still preaching the "thou shall not criticise anything BCFC" rhetoric on this thread - you know who you are!

Very true fella... If you sit near SC on match day, he is shouting instructions to players all 90 mins. Every little move.

Totally different to previous managers.

Interestingly the U21's play much more of a SoD like game....but without the pressure. It's a pleasure to watch.

Good post.

And you've cited the perfect example as Flint did pass the ball back last season which led to a last minute Port Vale equaliser, whereas the other night he did hoof the clearance and we've scored!

Thing is most fans don't care about these subtle differences as they only care about the moment and winning. Glad there are other like-minded, intelligent City fans on OTIB willing to debate these things. Shame there is the usual minority of small-minded folk on this thread still preaching the "thou shall not criticise anything BCFC" rhetoric on this thread - you know who you are!

I agree...there seems to be very little middle ground...It's either 'we're bloody rubbish, we're doomed...or... 'we're the best thing since sliced bread...SC is God'.... simplified beyond belief....

Interestingly the U21's play much more of a SoD like game....but without the pressure. It's a pleasure to watch.

That's good to hear. I'm an optimist so when I talk about making transitions to a more progressive setup in the future it's in the hope that it's something the club is actually working towards, but I've been a City fan long enough to suspect it's not that likely. It's pleasing to know that some of it is actually taking place.

From what I understand... Yes.

Wow, are people employed by football clubs all pussies?, perhaps he should stand up for himself, if he is good at his job i'm sure he'll be able to get another, has BT got a twitter account? perhaps i'll ask him directly if it's true and make him aware of what is being said about him, I think that would be fair.

Looking at SC's background it didn't look good when he came in, but maybe that was the way he was asked to work at previous clubs? Either that or he was happy to fall into line with what we were doing in order to get the job. I think his decision about playing the kids in the age group above and not to bring in U21's from outside (unless maybe they are exceptional prospects), could be a masterstroke. We have often produced good players who are generally physically poor, this scheme could help address that.

I would normally have been upset at the AW signing based on age etc, but when I read the story of how SC basically scouted his off season, I was really impressed and boy has it paid off.

Going back to REDM's initially post the secret is to put your fingers in ears and go "la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la" it's always worked for me, ask my wife!! :)

Wow, are people employed by football clubs all pussies?, perhaps he should stand up for himself, if he is good at his job i'm sure he'll be able to get another, has BT got a twitter account? perhaps i'll ask him directly if it's true and make him aware of what is being said about him, I think that would be fair.

Does BT strike you as being a pussy? Don't think he'd of got to the managerial hotseat at AG whilst bombing out most of the boozehounds from the Wilson era without being fairly confident and ruthless.

From what I am told in the business, John Pemberton is pretty damn good too. SOD and Sc share many ideas, possession, making decisions, shape etc. just that SOD did not have any man management skills. He did have a tough job, but the way we fell into L1 killed him off, a manager needs it all these days. Love him or hate him Jose does it all, tactics, shape, and motivation etc. The one thing I have understood from the top boys is that players need to know their jobs, clearly. SC has done that with JP , like with GJ his task will be if we reach promotion, but unlike GJ , SC (who I think is downgraded for his accent.. yes non pc but I think it is true) is far better equipped. He is up his own arse, but god, managers have a tough time, 4 years max, so he needs to believe in what he is doing. I think we all dream of a manger here for ten years, stability, a goal, aiming for perfection. I was amazed at SC coming in, but I am a results person, and he has done the biggest turn around I can recall in BCFC since Cooper. We were in that much poo. So he has acquired a huge respect from me, I love the style of football, it is modern and fresh, pressing, possession, movement , discipline. Trust me, this is high quality, and rare in the lower leagues. I also like the fact he is a west country guy, the world laughs at us, but you know, I think this chap might just make us become something. Amen to that, youth policy too, finally. This is the brightest BCFC future I have seen in 40 years, as the elements are linked up. 

Blimey. Ultra-positive!

Let's hope in 12 months time everything is still looking so rosy.

To match GJ of course, in 12 months time we'd be in the Championship and still unbeaten...

Archived