IGNORED

The Politics Thread

Barrs Court Red

You brought up an incorrect story - a smear if you like - suggesting Benn was a hypocrite for avoiding inheritance tax. I mentioned a relevant related story about how Maggie not only avoiding inheritance tax but all other taxes and yet again you leap to the Tories' defence by talking about some bloke from Labour's distant past who bought some houses once. WTF does that have to do with inheritance tax avoidance? You should change your board name to Roger Irrelevant.

What amuses me about your posts here Es is that you so vehemently deny being a Tory when it's clear from your political viewpoint, terminology, sources of reference, continuing defence of them that you actually ARE a Tory. Every frame of reference for you screams it. Why be ashamed? I know lots of Conservatives, I even voted for them once. Next election, I'll probably vote Lib Dem however.

When it comes to insults though, check your own posts mate. Yours are littered with them. I'm an ill-informed hack journalist who makes things up am I? If you say so Boris...

Just for arguments sake let's say the said Belgravia house was Benn's inherited from his parents and solely in his name, in the event of a divorce do you believe that it would not form part of the overall divorce settlement?, that is before inheritance tax avoidance trust set up, all perfectly legal but designed and used for one thing and one thing only inheritance tax avoidance.

But hey he's only human and I fully admit given his circumstances I would have done exactly the same but I wouldn't have banged on all my life about distribution of wealth.

Thanks for the insight Ed.

Just for arguments sake let's say the said Belgravia house was Benn's inherited from his parents and solely in his name, in the event of a divorce do you believe that it would not form part of the overall divorce settlement?, that is before inheritance tax avoidance trust set up, all perfectly legal but designed and used for one thing and one thing only inheritance tax avoidance.

But hey he's only human and I fully admit given his circumstances I would have done exactly the same but I wouldn't have banged on all my life about distribution of wealth.

Thanks for the insight Ed.

So whose.fictional divorce is happening in this fictional scenario? I've lost track of the "logic".

Transferring your entire estate - not just your Belgravia mansion - to an undeclared tax avoiding Turks & Caicos "charity" trust isn't just about limiting inheritance tax. It's avoiding capital gains tax and any examination of the probate size. There's been lots in the non-mainstream papers. Look it up.

Stansgate whatever-its-called is the historic Wedgwood home that is owned jointly by the wider family. Not by Wedgy Benn alone. His children joined the trustees as did nephews, nieces etc.

HTH

Well said.

It's just comical really. Earlier on the radio they had Miliband calling the Torys incompetent and Cameron calling Labour incompetent. Finally they ****ing got something right.

I'd have much more respect if just for once Cam stood up and said,

"Yea we ****** up (Dropped the ball) but we are doing our best to put it right" and then list what they are doing rather then the normal,

"We are putting right the mess the last labour govenment made, even tho we've been in power for 5 years borrowing is at record highs immgration is getting worse not better"

if for once the PM or Millaband just said sorry we got this wrong or got that wrong then people might start reingaging with politics,

I'd have much more respect if just for once Cam stood up and said,

"Yea we ****** up (Dropped the ball) but we are doing our best to put it right" and then list what they are doing rather then the normal,

"We are putting right the mess the last labour govenment made, even tho we've been in power for 5 years borrowing is at record highs immgration is getting worse not better"

if for once the PM or Millaband just said sorry we got this wrong or got that wrong then people might start reingaging with politics,

The worst thing, I think, is that any modification to a policy or a stated idea is called "a u-turn" and branded a sign of weakness.

Learning a lesson and making a correction in plenty of time isn't weak - it's sensible.

If you never do any u-turns you end up driving off a cliff.

The worst thing, I think, is that any modification to a policy or a stated idea is called "a u-turn" and branded a sign of weakness.

Learning a lesson and making a correction in plenty of time isn't weak - it's sensible.

If you never do any u-turns you end up driving off a cliff.

That always bugs me, though it's equally irritating when politicians try and deny they changed their mind! It's been even worse during the coalition where the Lib Dems and Tories are constantly accused or reneging on election pledges, when there is no way that both parties can do everything they said they would

Archived