IGNORED

Premier Seating - Davel?

Leveller

when the south stand is done it should be 16500 (according to the post)

which should be fine

Doesn't take into account away fans and segregation in the Atyeo, or the seats lost to the media in the Dolman.

Not sure how the new build will affect the view from the Wedlock / Williams corner either with fencing along the touchline.

With only the Williams being built there should be 26,439 - 10,832 = 15,607 seats available, less the seats not available for the reasons above.

1,100 for away fans, which probably won't be altered if we are in the championship, plus segregation, will probably mean in the order of

14,500 max for home fans, don't know where SL and the corporate lot will sit so that will probably take away a few more.

Will probably be enough for most games, but IF we go up, and IF we are successful, tickets could become scarce.

Will also be interesting if City use the Atyeo for family seating only, to avoid any problems between home and away fans.

As the OP here, I'd like to say thanks for all the responses on what is clearly an issue of interest to lots of people.

My main reason for starting the thread was to find out the facts and this has largely been achieved. I said I was "guessing" ( not assuming) that Corporates were involved and that is clearly only part of the picture . Expats who pay the full whack and attend when they can are fine by me, but a resale system would be useful when they know they won't be there.

I'm quite intrigued by the " upgrade" idea, as STs always used to say they were non transferable , which I took to mean could only be used by the owner. Clearly this is not the case as the club is actively agreeing to let the owner lend the ST to someone else.

The seats in the "Gods" as you put it are simply the best view at Ashton Gate.

An interesting opinion. Too high and distant for me -  a bit like watching chess. I like about row F - just high enough not to be annoyed by the constant comings and goings of those who move during the half,

• Admin

I look after all the tickets of my mates because most of them struggle to attend many games. Why? Well, not that its really peoples business but 1 lives in Italy, 1 in Devon & USA, 1 spends 80% of his time abroad and works weekends (if he's doing well) 1 lives near Birmigham but makes most games and the other is 2 years of age and doesn't have the concentration to attend games.

So, at most games, there is a maximum of 3 of us, meaning four empty seats. Sometimes there is 1, me, and I tend to look a little "billy no mates" with the 6 seats empty 

I find the first paragraph absolutely amazing.

One is abroad for 80% of their time

One lives in Italy

One lives in the USA

One is a child who doesn't attend as they are too young to concentrate for 90 minutes

At the end of last season, when I knew I had an adult and child seat spare, I walked up to a dad and his lad who were queuing up at the ticket office and asked if they fancied watching the game from the prem seats for free, which they took me up on. The reason I don't do this every week I have spares is because if I do that, the club loses out, do you think that's fair?

Done that myself and know of others who have done this on many occasions, I would fully expect the club would want people in the ground and "bums on seats" supporting the side every week rather than having numbers of empty seats available 

I'm interested by your last comment.  Do you therefore think that it is fair that a number of your friends purchased tickets knowing full well that they would not be attending a majority of games, yet other people that want to attend can't do so as "officially" all seats are taken?

it does make the season ticket holder a better "supporter" of the club because they have paid their money up front, money the club can use to make improvements on and off the pitch. 

That is an absolute shocker of a statement !

Take a look on Saturday, count the empty seats in the Prem, there will be no more spaces than anywhere else in the ground 

I would disagree with that, the majority of games this season (apart from Oxford) it is very obvious that there is a problem with the sales of seats in this section, it is clear to see they are not utilised

• Admin

I'm not going to turn this into a slanging match just because we clearly haven't different opinions on the matters we have both highlighted.

What we assumedly would agree on, is that the more (and longer) we are successful this season the more people are going to want to watch the side play.

Knowing that post Christmas the capacity is going to be reduced even more, to me it makes sense to get as many people into the ground that want to be able to.

If someone fancies coming along for the first time but can't get a ticket, who is to say that they will ever come back.

I'm sure other clubs do a scheme where if a seat is not going to be filled that the club has some sort of buy back scheme, it was just your example showed that this could and should be being done already- if not surely it would be looked to being done in the near future?

I know a lad who plays football on a Saturday, but always goes to Ashton Gate for night games and when he has a free Saturday or a game cancelled. Knowing that it was going to be a nightmare this season he bought a ST. Whether he will be there Saturday or not I don't know, but he had the foresight to make sure he had the opportunity to be if it arose.

I'm sure if the club introduced a scheme where he could sell his seat on to a POTD fan, he would.

Whilst I'm certainly not in the "season ticket holders are the best fans" camp, I am afraid your comment regarding towels & Germans is bull.

Are you questioning how many times we put our towels on the sunbed, or simply that we sometimes do? It's hardly fair to suggest that someone that puts their towel on the sun-bed (incidentally, a sun-bed that they have paid up front for) once or twice a season is somehow more "morally" virtuous than one that does it 40 times a season? If not, than are you suggesting that if John Smith in Row F of the Williams suddenly finds themselves unable to attend one week because of little Jenny Smith's Xmas Panto being ridiculously scheduled for a Saturday afternoon they should phone the club up and tell them they can't attend and to sell their seat? 

Most people buy season tickets because a) they can afford it (or cut things out so they can) and because they want to guarantee a seat. Most people who don't buy season tickets don't because a) they can't afford it or b) it doesn't make financial sense to do so. They understand that in the (unlikely) event that this bloody football club ever does something to cheer us up then they may struggle to get a seat. As I say, and to avoid doubt, it doesnt make either a better or worse fan of BCFC, but, sorry to burst your bubble, it does make the season ticket holder a better "supporter" of the club because they have paid their money up front, money the club can use to make improvements on and off the pitch. 

Where a company makes a financial commitment to buy some corporate spaces (and almost always this is because a keystaff member/director is a fan, rather than for promotional benefits)  and, (unfortunately because the majority of the non footballing population believes football stops in the Premier League) they cant even give their tickets away, then, sadly, that is a reflection of a) the crap we have been served up for years and b) the fact that not everyone likes attending football matches. The catchment area of this club has a population of over 1.5 Million people, less than 0.75% of them come to the Gate, clearly football isn't the be all and end all for the very large majority of people.

When an individual buys a season ticket knowing they can't make a lot of games then a) they have the financial ability to do so and b) they know that they have a seat when they can't make it and don't have to moan about the fact that they can't get one because they have sold out. The club doesn't need the ground to be full, it's nice when it is because the atmosphere is better, but you are talking about maybe 200 tickets at most not being used? The Williams isn't Club England at Wembley, it doesnt take 20,000 seats out of play.

Take a look on Saturday, count the empty seats in the Prem, there will be no more spaces than anywhere else in the ground (Colin Daniel stand maybe). Its on a wet & cold Tuesday night playing some unimportant beginning/end of season game that you will see the gaps. Christ, even I struggle to get the motivation sometimes to come from 7 miles away to watch those games, it's hardly surprising that some people cant be arsed to fly in from Milan or Florida in those circumstances.

As someone earlier said, they had been trying to get Prem Seat season tickets for years but they can't because they are sold out. That is because people don't want to give up the hope that one day, just one day, we will get seasons where we can dream of success.

This is Bristol City, not Real, Man U, Chelsea. It;'s not worth putting complex systems in place for resales when, for 95% of games they cant sell empty ones, let alone ones they have already struggled to sell once. Thats just the reality of life in the 3rd division.

I will certainly do that, as I'm convinced you are mistaken.

In fact the reason I started the thread was because at the last Saturday home game, from my Dolman seat it appeared that half or more of the Premier seats were empty, in very stark contrast to the rest of the stadium. 

Now I've said I have no argument with those who buy ST's and don't fully use them - their decision - but it IS frustrating to buy a place on hard wooden slats and behind a pillar elsewhere in the Williams (surely the worst deal in the stadium) and to look down on dozens of empty comfortable seats.

The "towels on sunbeds" line does have some validity now that places are in short supply overall. It seems bizarre to pay for a ST for a 2 year old which he will not occupy for years, assumimg he will not be interested for another 5 years or more. I dragged my son along when he was about 7 and he was bored as hell - but he's now a dedicated supporter.

I can't my head around, why in the year 2014, any fan is expected to sit the best part of 2 hours on hard plastic seats.

Why couldn't a whole stand have the same sort of seating as those in the Premier...?

They aren't so special...have been their years, so they are obviously durable.

It would have been great if our Club could have set a prescident and incorporated Premier type seating throughout the ground as well as the often discussed safe standing.

As for this conversation... I think there are just as many season tickets spread out around the ground that are not used, but not noticed. The reason it's noticed in the 'Premier' seating is because it's a small segregated area.

I can't my head around, why in the year 2014, any fan is expected to sit the best part of 2 hours on hard plastic seats.

Why couldn't a whole stand have the same sort of seating as those in the Premier...?

It would have been great if our Club could have set a prescident and incorporated Premier type seating throughout the ground as well as the often discussed safe standing.

As for this conversation... I think there are just as many season tickets spread out around the ground that are not used, but not noticed. The reason it's noticed in the 'Premier' seating is because it's a small segregated area.

But what reason would they have to charge extra for premier then?

You sit in the Premier Seating every home game so you will know that those seats are probably. 30% wider than the normal seats, so that would have a dramatic impact on capacity. They would also cost considerably more.

Archived