IGNORED

Steve Cotterill/best City Manager For A Long,long Time

Motorwayman

To be fair, the Baldock money didn't come in until after SL had backed Cotterill with the funds to buy the players we have signed and at the time it wasn't a foregone conclusion that Baldock was leaving.

The way I see it is we should still have a fairly large lump to spend in January if need be.

You really believe that?

Totally agree with your comment, its not luck, the Manager has signed players that are all hard working, have quality,and a winning mentality! Compare his team rebuilding to Van Gaal!     

Yet on the Ziderheads forum, SC is slated by one poster as being a one trick pony who has been found out by Fleetwood & Mk.

Yet on the Ziderheads forum, SC is slated by one poster as being a one trick pony who has been found out by Fleetwood & Mk.

My suspicion is he's a sag.

However, even if SC isn't indeed Unan in it's purest form, he is, by definition worthy of praise for the job done so far, even if he's had more favourable circumstances that his predecessors have had.

I questioned our ever-increasing energy levels yesterday in the second half and why substitutions aren't made earlier in games.

Take away a players' autonomy an you have lost the player (see Balottelli - or JET!). Same applies to a manager.

That silly tit on Ziderheads is saying things to get a reaction. And is being booted into touch.

Sc didn't want to sell Sam. He made that crystal clear.

The decision lies with the board/SL and the player. The new players are largely sought out by Keith Burt.

Let's not get too carried away that SC is a one man army making all the decisions. Team effort- well done all. 

Cotterill simply said the right things at the right times to try and extract the best possible price for Baldock.

Baldock knew he was going, Cotterill knew he was going, and so did most of us fans. It was clearly always going to happen.

Cotterill has made it clear he is keen to balance the books and the Summer signings were made in the almost certain knowledge that Baldock would go and all the pre transfer interviews were designed to achieve sufficient funds to cover our outlay.

As for Burt seeking out the new players, he absolutely plays his part but there's little doubt also that the manager will put forward names to be persued when positions have been identified to be filled.

Burt will too, but if Burt comes up with a player Cotterill isn't convinced about then SC will certainly have the final word.

And another point- in the past 20 yrs we have had 2 successful managers- Ward and Johnson both winning us promotion to Championship so there is not a lot of competition.

Millen and McInnes saved us from relegation as did SC.

As the MK Dons fans sang:  " Top of the league and you've won **** all". SC is doing a great job so far but we'll all judge his true status based on whether we get out of this awful league this season. 

To be remembered as one if our best, when appointed I always thought he had to do three things.

Firstly, keep us up. Big tick.

Second, get us up within three years. Work in progress. Looks hopeful, but still to early to be sure.

Thirdly, secure us solidly in the Championship. Obviously not had the chance to do that.

That is the limit of my ambition, but would be very happy with it. He is far from a great manager yet. No manager in the time hehasbeen with us could be. He may however be on track to become one for us.

The decision lies with the board/SL and the player. The new players are largely sought out by Keith Burt.

Let's not get too carried away that SC is a one man army making all the decisions. Team effort- well done all.

Of course he's not going to want to sell him, he was the Leagues top goal scorer the previous season. No doubt he would have preferred him to stay as he knew the player and wanted the same of him this year, which makes his job as manager easier. Wanting him to stay and knowing in reality he was off are two very different things.

And wasnt it SoD who said we were the right 'fit' for him, that's a maybe but he certainly wasnt for us. Cotterill came along and many didn't give him any hope at all. On paper it all looked 'wrong' but maybe, just maybe he fits us and we fit him?

yet if things start going wrong people will blame SC and no one else,

He is the best manager we have had since Terry Copper

I would disagree with that!

We had some great times under Joe Jordan (First Time) Auto Promotion, Cup Run (Beating Chelsea) and Great Memories of some exciting football with Super Bob, Gavin, Smudger...

If he hadn't left in search of the Scotland job, who knows where we might have gone?

What, better than Joe Jordan the first time?  That's a brave call...

When TC took over things were not good at this club. Terry copper lifted this club from the bring of going under to a promotion, cup win over Bolton in the feight rover.  Not only that, the guy put his heart and soul into his management of the club, even his own money!  Ask supporters who were attending back than.  He is for me not only the best manager there has been in my life time, but all so in the history of our club. 

Of course he's not going to want to sell him, he was the Leagues top goal scorer the previous season. No doubt he would have preferred him to stay as he knew the player and wanted the same of him this year, which makes his job as manager easier. Wanting him to stay and knowing in reality he was off are two very different things.

And wasnt it SoD who said we were the right 'fit' for him, that's a maybe but he certainly wasnt for us. Cotterill came along and many didn't give him any hope at all. On paper it all looked 'wrong' but maybe, just maybe he fits us and we fit him?

Like how Shaun Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzshaun?

RedM is exceptionally keen on gingers so maybe Paul Fitzpatrick would be a better example.

Funny you should say that, way back in the day I went to an open day and had my photo taken sandwiched between him and my MOST favourite Ginger, who I hear is favourite for the Newcastle job if Pardew goes

He is the best manager we have had since Terry Copper

Jordan, Ward and Johnson gave us promotion. How can anyone possibly say Sc ( amazing so far) and has won us nothing is better than those managers who have?In the last quarter century Johnson has been the most successful. 

It appears that the anti SC hysteria has been replaced by  new Messiah hysteria. 

yet if things start going wrong people will blame SC and no one else,

Absolutely the case. SOD was awful for us but was made much worse by the board's ridiculous remit to him. SOD got full blame.

I'm pro balance- BCFC is a team effort and rarely is one person ever responsible for all the success or all the failure.

Jordan, Ward and Johnson gave us promotion. How can anyone possibly say Sc ( amazing so far) and has won us nothing is better than those managers who have?In the last quarter century Johnson has been the most successful. 

It appears that the anti SC hysteria has been replaced by  new Messiah hysteria. 

I would not go that far.  How much SC is to do with the positive feelings coming from the club is anyones guess.  The togetherness, team spirt, general buzz around Aston gate is excellent at the moment.  I have not enjoyed my football like this for many years.  Not since the togherness of the Terry copper days in fact.  We have done better under different managers who have won promotion, but its the feeling around the club.  The last time i felt like this was many years ago.  No mass hysteria on my part.  Just loving everything about the club again. "apart from the food which i do not eat".  Even if we were mid table, i would have the same feeling.  How much of this is down to the manager is anyones guess.  For me thou, it seems to be an important part which we have been missing for many years.  Bristol City FC are a happy club at the moment.   

Completely agree about the current feel good factor. The march to the play off final against Hull is hard to top- trouble is that the result sort of took away the glory of getting there and then the 5 season decline that followed consigned this amazing achievement to the dustbin of history.

Mid table would not be giving us that same warm glow. It's because we're top, unbeaten, have bought well ( for once), have a currently popular manager , a stadium under major redevelopment and an owner who has reconnected to the club and fans.

A losing sequence would soon bring out the doubters- just wait!

Until SC has won us promotion, he is looking really good but has a long way to go before we can really say" Arise, Sir Steve".

Archived