IGNORED

Banksy 2

Leveller

Thanks for the smug patronising put down. Sorry, I don't see why it's laughable or cringey.

"This is Banksy". So? He's just a bloke FFS. The man supports a football club & perhaps would like to be associated with it. He has a talent that could clearly be used to personalise & improve what could otherwise easily be a bland development. He may or may not dislike the club he supports because it has a rich owner, but I doubt it. There seem to be a few left of centre OTIB members that have not gone off to support one of the fan owned clubs.

And OK it may be unusual for him to be commissioned, but not unique (see above). If the club doesn't approach him, is he likely to approach the club? Pass, but if you don't ask, you never know.

The one objection I expected, but haven't seen is the opposite one; that is, he is now selling for big money and could be seen as too capitalist himself. Unless of course he's giving it all to charity. Again - don't know. Yes, alternative street artists are available, and if they're good, it doesn't affect the concept.

What surprises me is how little enthusiasm there seems to be for the idea itself. Anything to add character seems like a good idea to me - why not plan it now before it's too late?

It is not the worst idea ever to gain BCFC some publicity, but Banksy has done more to support anarchist groups, and radical organisations in Bristol than he has for City, has being nil. The fast food environment and politics surrounding a football team is another world.

City can commission professional artists themselves, or involve the club in Upfest in an effort to latch onto the Banksy effect on Bristol and its economy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2786398/The-Banksy-effect-Impact-elusive-street-artist-blamed-explosion-graffiti-hometown-Bristol-art-vandalism.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Why not BCFC diy?

Some of these sites were in BS3. Why didn't the FC use them. One of these WAS offered to City fans who could not get the FC interested in being bold and audacious.

Opportunities are still there.

Doesn't the idea of a PLANNED Banksy mural rather go against the mystery that surrounds him? I may be wrong but I thought his work always showed up unexpectedly.

It would also ruin his anonymity if someone knew he was going to show up at a certain place.

I actually think it's a great idea in theory, but I suspect for these reasons he wouldn't want to be involved.

I can only see one really - ie could the club & the artist see eye to eye on the content? 

there are a few, some idiot would want to deface it some other idiots would want to steal it etc,

then theres the whole would would actually be painted? some will like some won't fans never agree on anything

Blur commissioned him to do Think Tank.

Fair point but I guess they fit into his, as someone put it earlier, slightly left wing ideology. What sort of angle would he go for if he did paint something at AG - I'd argue he'd want to put something more controversial than the club would want!  You wouldn't get something like that fake nonsense by the riser..

As someone else said.. it's his style to turn up unannounced so if he wanted to do something I'm guessing when its in dev would be when he did.

This forum never ceases to amaze me... Anyone would think he was part of the Illuminati or a Rothschild... it's easy to get in touch with him... :facepalm:

Wahay, I knew we would agree one day, it really is unbelievable that people actually believe that this guy is so mysterious that he is uncontactable, perhaps there should be a Batman type 'Banksy' signal on the council house, so that Commissioner Red Pants could contact him when Bristol is in need?.

Make enough noise to the local media and i'm sure if he's interested, it will expose himself.

So to speak.

The other question is this- what would it actually add to a redeveloped stadium? Will attendances change or fans feel closer to the club? 

It may not significantly affect attendances, but could add to the number of people visiting the stadium on non-match days given the number of graffiti tours going on.  It then depends what City set up to fleece these tourists of their money.

Love it or loathe it, Bristol is famous for its "street art" and I do quite like WTMS idea about embedding the stadium into the street art scene.

It certainly makes a lot more sense that that poxy white scribble all over the pavements.

Mr. Banksy I'm sure would like the chance to do something at AG. However its Banksy, its hardly likely to be without commentary and edgy...Are we and the club ready for that!? Its not going to be like leaked shirtgate, no club or fan input required!

You mean the fans can't tell him what to paint?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ, he's not a superhero.

He's got a press secretary so hardly difficult to get in touch with....

Can't see him being interested in doing anything, same goes for 3D.

What about Inkie? I have a nice "Bristol Fashion" print of his (the one on North St)

Inkie is a close friend of mine, and I'd be happy to put the club in touch with him. He is a spurs fan mind!

Can't see it being a goer.

1: BCFC would want too much artistic licence on what the product would look like, Banksy would want to paint what he wants in any topical form and that could well be in a controversial format. The club would want a meeting about the art work, then a meeting about a meeting about a meeting ;)

2: I can't see the lad trusting anything / anyone around BCFC (inside or outside bcfc) with his with his favoured anonymous persona. We so as a club can't keep quiet about transfers or even so say ''A LEAKED CLUB SHIRT'' so having Banksy lurking around the stadium would send folk in to a text camera phone frenzy, fans and staff, not sure he would get the trusted security as done at Bristol museum.

Look at upfest right on BCFC doorstep, lots of talent to be asked to do stuff and i would say given a canvas they would be willing, Banksy? mmmmmm.

Point 1 sums it up perfectly. Banksy would definitely paint what he wants and would not take "instructions" from the club. The result could easily be artwork that is critical of professional football - e g the vast sums of money being sloshed around on transfers and player salaries.

Point 1 sums it up perfectly. Banksy would definitely paint what he wants and would not take "instructions" from the club. The result could easily be artwork that is critical of professional football - e g the vast sums of money being sloshed around on transfers and player salaries.

Could the club just not paint over it if it was and they didn't like it??

It may not significantly affect attendances, but could add to the number of people visiting the stadium on non-match days given the number of graffiti tours going on.  It then depends what City set up to fleece these tourists of their money.

Love it or loathe it, Bristol is famous for its "street art" and I do quite like WTMS idea about embedding the stadium into the street art scene.

It certainly makes a lot more sense that that poxy white scribble all over the pavements.

Police/ Scene of crime have to do that 

Several years ago the idea minus BCFC involvement had gone beyond notional. Several obvious sites in BS3 were offered for use by their owners. One site offered for a mural was massive. A eminent member of Bristol's street scene was being spoken to as its curator. A theme and its concept was discussed with a potential sponsor, which was the point the plan stalled.

Archived