IGNORED

Banksy 2

Leveller

In your car!

Tut, tut.

Mr Red Trousers will be very cross. On yer bike..........

Being model parents we reduce our carbon footprint by using bicycles, the bus and encorage kids to think that lost art called walking is a good thing. Moving slowly by foot or driving the actual signs of there being a local football club here in Bristol are rare.

Maybe BCFC could get some art work done around AG and be part of the tours being done around Bristol and it's art culture.. It could tie in with stadium tours. Art work shops?  community trust involvement?

http://www.wherethewall.com/

WHERETHEWALL celebrates creative culture through first-hand experiences. We celebrate creative culture, the amazing artforms of graffiti and street art, and run events focused on encouraging independent thinking and creativity through team building sessions and special events, using creativity and self-expression at it's core.

We run Bristol Street Art Tours, currently the third most popular activity (out of 150) to do in Bristol on TripAdvisor, a ranking voted for by people who been on the experience, with over 100 reviews. Our team includes people who have grown up with Banksy, and are experts in the fields of creativity, and can provide a unique and memorable experience for you and your group, either in Bristol or at your location.

Having seen the unifying effect of Banksy's artwork, his clever and meaningful sense of humour, street art represents something very special: a direct form of free expression in this world of decreasing vocal platforms.

WHERETHEWALL encourages, promotes and supports creative-culture, graffiti and street art in all it's forms, and the following pages will give you a variety of opportunities to interact with art in a number of ways.

To keep most up to date follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and leave a picture of your favourite street art on our Facebook page.

http://www.wherethewall.com

@wherethewall

https://www.facebook.com/wherethewall

Point 1 sums it up perfectly. Banksy would definitely paint what he wants and would not take "instructions" from the club. The result could easily be artwork that is critical of professional football - e g the vast sums of money being sloshed around on transfers and player salaries.

I don't see this needs to be a problem. A lot of his work is political with a small p, particularly being anti war/ anti violence ( eg the flower in the gun barrel motif). So maybe an anti hooligan theme would work.

Anyway, as I've said before IF he has a feeling for the club, he may want to get involved; IF he does, then he wouldn't go out of his way to alienate either the ownership or the fans. He's intelligent enough to come up with something witty and suitable without doing that.

As for location & vulnerability to attack, this was one reason I suggested any work should be inside the home fans end. Perhaps though it could be behind Perspex or similar.

Instead of going for just Rob (banksy) to do a piece I personally think it would be better to do a mini Upfest around Ashton Gate and ask the likes of Cheo, Inkie, Lokie and others to do multiple pieces.

This would give the ground something unique and would also keep in with Bristols world famous street-art ethic.

I think that having just a Banksy piece would smack of a PR stunt rather than a celebration of all the talented artists from Bristol which is what it should be IMO.

Just get 4 respected street artists to have a side of the ground to curate however they see fit.

Instead of going for just Rob (banksy) to do a piece I personally think it would be better to do a mini Upfest around Ashton Gate and ask the likes of Cheo, Inkie, Lokie and others to do multiple pieces.

This would give the ground something unique and would also keep in with Bristols world famous street-art ethic.

I think that having just a Banksy piece would smack of a PR stunt rather than a celebration of all the talented artists from Bristol which is what it should be IMO.

Just get 4 respected street artists to have a side of the ground to curate however they see fit.

Yep.

Agree. Can't see Banksy exactly being a massive fan of our billionaire tax-dodging chairman anyway!

Agree. Can't see Banksy exactly being a massive fan of our billionaire tax-dodging chairman anyway!

Funny , this is where I can be a little hypocritical. Don't like the tax dodgers (step up Gary Barlow and all) but I think you'd be a mug just to give masses of money away when Amazon and the like use loop holes to evade paying anything, pretty much.

Anyway back on topic;

I would love something like this , love Cheo and Banksy and there are plenty of great artists that get involved in Upfest. Anything that gets the concourse areas away from looking like the breezeblock and concrete soulless  bowls around the country. One of  the worst was Colchester last year , nothing but blockwork which doesn't encourage you to be there.

I don't see this needs to be a problem. A lot of his work is political with a small p, particularly being anti war/ anti violence ( eg the flower in the gun barrel motif). So maybe an anti hooligan theme would work.

Anyway, as I've said before IF he has a feeling for the club, he may want to get involved; IF he does, then he wouldn't go out of his way to alienate either the ownership or the fans. He's intelligent enough to come up with something witty and suitable without doing that.

As for location vulnerability to attack, this was one reason I suggested any work should be inside the home fans end. Perhaps though it could be behind Perspex or similar.

People who have a feeling for BCFC, and have contributed time, effort and art now no longer want to contribute that energy anymore.

It is not as simple as having feeling for the club. BS now run parts of the FC, it is not a club in a normal sense. Artwork from any artist would have to fit in with BS and BCFC politics, and fans involved in previous fan initiatives will tell you there can be layer after layer of politics around BCFC to negotiate.

Virtually any street artist uses their own narratives and ideas. It is little like paying a painter and decorator, although prices minus materials can be very similar if that route is pursued. BS now have their own aspiration to create a coherent and unified identity for Ashton Gate.

The Supporters club and trust could be a better option to explore a more conservative artistic idea with BCFC - BS.

Upfest compared to the monthly wage of a professional player at City is not expensive, but requires a lot of helping hands.

WTMS - Could go out and paint a site within weeks, or organise similar, but how would the idea be evolved futher? How would you finance a mini Upfest? Would you involve the FC?

These questions were considered a couple of years ago. The answers lead to the idea becoming one that could be possibly used one day.

I hate seeing the demise and extinction of creatures, not just fluffy nice ones, interesting or cute ones but obnoxious horrid little creatures too. They all have or have had a place on our planet, as much as we may have loved and lost some of them we have also loathed and hated some too.

We have to acknowledge the good and bad aspects of life and sometimes our own complicity in the downfall or harming of other species for our own ends and gratification.

I doubt its realistic to hope for a Banksy contribution at the Gate but would contacting Damien Hirst be so far out of the question?

Could we not commission him to preserve a grotesque blue quartered pirate in formaldehyde before the Gas become truly extinct? ... Something we can display in our soon to be shiny new bogs in our shiny new stadium at Ashton Gate...

A piece of albeit ugly modern art, non the less a bit of our city's shameful past an undeniable bit of Bristol history... non league BRFC have already reached its tipping point of no return to obscurity and inevitable extinction.. We played our part in the death of this rancid species, we must recognise that fact.

A piece of artwork we as City fans can truly enjoy pissing ourselves looking at as we relieve our bladders while smugly getting rid of a little more gas at the same time.

Having once been accidentally stuck on a terrace with some Croatia/Split fans, I really don't want to be associated with anything like that! A bit like Millwall without the charm.

SEE ... Difficult.

You would not want Bristol City associated with anything "street" like that due to some Croatian Herbert.

BUT want BCFC associated with an artist who has openly supported radicals and rioters in Bristol.

In the past seven days I have coached and watched junior kids coaching at three different venues - Bedminster, Bradley Stoke and Whitchurch. The number of City shirts was low and outnumbered by the big clubs and that of "cool" Barcelona. Only two Gas kits were sighted!

The signs of Bristol City on Bristol's streets minus the odd kit and matchday are just above non existent.

Signs of Bristol's street art community are seemingly everywhere. Taking part in what Bristol does well there would raise the profile of the club a degree at least.

I really don't want to be associated with anything like that!

The lovers, mild mild west, cyclops, the Vandal ... Are all Bristol Landmarks.

Creating a Bristol City inspired mural would be a easy means of getting Bristol City FC seen. Do it well and a less obvious benefit can be spin offs e.g art merchandise. Ernie the Robin was used to raise money for fan ideas and donations elsewhere.

the art of winning probably does most

Bristol City have never been one of the constant winners in their entire history. Bristol City have never been a big club in their history. Bristol City's spending will not outstrip the Oligarchs and Sheiks either.

Bristol City can attempt a marginal improvement winning, or not. An improvement can be getting seen a % or two more in a City that barely knows the FC exists, no wins needed.

Bristol rugby club advertise on first buses.

the art of winning probably does most

Yes logical but the kids shirts at training here in Bristol are those of Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea and Manchester United. City are not going to be media darlings for some time yet. Having some plan B's v tearing it up alongside Mourinho could help a little.

The lovers, mild mild west, cyclops, the Vandal ... Are all Bristol Landmarks.

Creating a Bristol City inspired mural would be a easy means of getting Bristol City FC seen. Do it well and a less obvious benefit can be spin offs e.g art merchandise. Ernie the Robin was used to raise money for fan ideas and donations elsewhere.

Not really sure why you quoted my comments about Pro Nazi & Millwallesque Split fans above your comments.....

SEE ... Difficult.

You would not want Bristol City associated with anything "street" like that due to some Croatian Herbert.

BUT want BCFC associated with an artist who has openly supported radicals and rioters in Bristol.

Not really. "Some Croatian Herbert" doesn't do it justice.  I don't call the Nazi tendencies of some Croatian fans, or hooligan violence for the sake of it, "street". By way of background, I was at a Hungary v Croatia match in Budapest (2005?) and though there was good segregation between Hungary/Croatia, the Split/Zagreb fans were fighting amonst themselves in the Croatia end. There was also a group of them wearing specially embroidered jackets with the slogan (in English) "Hooligan. No-one likes us, we don't care".  It was all pretty nasty.

I don't care about Banksy's politics, and he generally seems to be anti-war/violence. Radicalism is up to him.

Funny , this is where I can be a little hypocritical. Don't like the tax dodgers (step up Gary Barlow and all) but I think you'd be a mug just to give masses of money away when Amazon and the like use loop holes to evade paying anything, pretty much.

Anyway back on topic;

I would love something like this , love Cheo and Banksy and there are plenty of great artists that get involved in Upfest. Anything that gets the concourse areas away from looking like the breezeblock and concrete soulless  bowls around the country. One of  the worst was Colchester last year , nothing but blockwork which doesn't encourage you to be there.

Don't worry, you're not hypocritical, just a little confused.  Steve (now a foreigner in my view) has not stopped giving "masses of money away".  He's stopped paying the salaries of nurses, teachers, fire and police officers, dustbin men and women, street wardens, health inspectors, the armed services and so on and so on.

Not really sure why you quoted my comments about Pro Nazi & Millwallesque Split fans above your comments.....

The Hadjk Split mural in the time lapse youtube clip is not pro nazi. That is an example of a effective means BCFC could use to get itself seen by thousands everyday. Some of Bristol best know landmarks are now street art.

Don't worry, you're not hypocritical, just a little confused. Steve (now a foreigner in my view) has not stopped giving "masses of money away". He's stopped paying the salaries of nurses, teachers, fire and police officers, dustbin men and women, street wardens, health inspectors, the armed services and so on and so on.

Perhaps we could have a drawing entitled 'smash the tax evaders'? A sketch of Mr Lansdowne crucified overlooking a mob of ISA holders being stoned to death.

Incidentally, as Mr Banksy is anonymous how does the taxman bill him.

Scub that...down with Banksy. Pay up or move on.

Didn't want to get off topic that's why I didn't reply earlier , that and because I agree.  I don't understand how a company with premises in GB , that employs British workers doesn't need to pay tax in UK.

The point I was making , taking our illustrious leader as an example . Someone who has built an empire and employed hundreds , paid all requisite taxes etc and then is in a position to sit back and enjoy the fruits of his labor, remembering his company would be paying fee's , he is expected to pay 60 / 70 / 80%  tax. All I'm saying is I can understand why a person in this position would take the easy step of moving "abroad".  The balance has to be to tax the wealthy enough to keep them in the country paying their higher % tax , but not tax them so much they feel the need to leave. How much are the Country missing out on when, to keep their privileged tax exempt position, companies like Amazon  actually make a "donation".

Anyway what was the topic.....  oh yeah, be nice to see original art in the concourse around the new Gate. Better still if that art was by Bristol born / based artists. Isn't Upfest back next year? Could give the powers that be the chance to check out what talent is around.

971265_10151658253249254_1144552179_n.jp

971934_10151658252354254_1387207409_n.jp

Don't worry, you're not hypocritical, just a little confused.  Steve (now a foreigner in my view) has not stopped giving "masses of money away".  He's stopped paying the salaries of nurses, teachers, fire and police officers, dustbin men and women, street wardens, health inspectors, the armed services and so on and so on.

But in his time has paid more to those people than you and probably every single person you have ever known ever will. Fair?

The Hadjk Split mural in the time lapse youtube clip is not pro nazi. That is an example of a effective means BCFC could use to get itself seen by thousands everyday. Some of Bristol best know landmarks are now street art.

I agree about Hajduk Split. I was too hasty associating one club with the nasty far right elements in the Croatian support.

The Split/Zagreb rivalry is intense and scary, but as it understand it Hajduk are generally anti fascist. Croatian politics are complex and I'm no expert; I just want BCFC to avoid associating with far right Ultras etc by accident.

Archived