IGNORED

Anybody Else Thinking This?

steve39

His son is probably one of the most underrated people in football. He was a brilliant footballer here and had great vision, he was undervalued and underrated and too many fans got on his back and didn't appreciate what he bought to the table. Lee's problem was he was miles in front of anyone else on the pitch, he had great vision, knew where to put a ball and knew how to link up play, unfortunately no one else on the pitch was anywhere near his wave length and he was picked on for no reason. 

His intelligence has been transformed into management and the job he has done at Oldham is nothing short of miraculous and it would be no surprise to see him take them up this year probably via the Playoffs. I have no doubt in my mind, that it won't long before a Top Championship or Premier League club come knocking on Oldham's door and given his age and respect in the game and the bright start he has made, if he continues as he is doing now, then in 10 - 15 years it would not surprise me to see him managing England. 

don't forget to prepare the kleenex...

Bit over the top. Lee is doing a great job and was a decent player too. Generally speaking though, coaches don't seem to have a very long 'upward trajectory'. Here's hoping he does!

His son is probably one of the most underrated people in football. He was a brilliant footballer here and had great vision, he was undervalued and underrated and too many fans got on his back and didn't appreciate what he bought to the table. Lee's problem was he was miles in front of anyone else on the pitch, he had great vision, knew where to put a ball and knew how to link up play, unfortunately no one else on the pitch was anywhere near his wave length and he was picked on for no reason.

His intelligence has been transformed into management and the job he has done at Oldham is nothing short of miraculous and it would be no surprise to see him take them up this year probably via the Playoffs. I have no doubt in my mind, that it won't long before a Top Championship or Premier League club come knocking on Oldham's door and given his age and respect in the game and the bright start he has made, if he continues as he is doing now, then in 10 - 15 years it would not surprise me to see him managing England.

Thank you for your contribution Mrs J !

100% this. He is the past, but up until now and what SC is bringing to the club, Johnson was the best manager we've had in my years supporting City and I was always confident we could get a win when Johnson was in charge, Cotterill in many ways reminds me of our era under Johnson, in how it started turned around and then went on to get promotion, this season has a certain feel of the last League One promotion year. 

I will always be grateful and respectful for what Gary Johnson done in his years at Ashton Gate and whilst he was probably given a year too long, I still think we would have done as well keeping with Johnson than bringing in Copout, Millen, McWinless and O'Dismal. Johnson cared very deeply about our club and if anything getting to Wembley in our first year in the Championship raised expectations too high and always meant the job was going to be too hard for Johnson. He didn't have the knowledge and contacts to take City to the Premier League but he still done more for this club than a lot of people did. We played some good football under Johnson and if you look back at the team we didn't exactly have a team of stars, he employed those who he trusted and they repaid that trust. This is exactly what Cotts is doing now by bringing in the likes of Wade and Aaron , but at the same time we also have some young quality. If we hold on to this team , we have the makings of a team who will safely stay up if we go up, and with a few new faces, could get to the Premier League.

I find it astounding how certain members of our fan base seem to want to see Johnson do badly and are sort of egging on him to be sacked. In my eyes the man is probably the best manager Bristol City have had in my lifetime and done what he was hired to do. Sadly it ended sour but for me he will always be a City legend and will always be clapped by me.

If he was sacked by Yeovil , I would only wish him the very best. He had Bristol City always in his heart and you could see it really killed him inside when he left this club. The man loves this club and I've no doubt he would only want success for this club, it's a shame certain quarters don't have the same respect.

Legend is bandied around too much these days.. He would've possibly been if he got us to the Premier League.

Its not really that astounding that you find people don't rate him as high as you surely? I always preferred Wilson myself, played exciting entertaining football and our 11 game consecutive winning streak was unforgettable. It was a real shame he couldn't get us across the finishing line.

Sorry, Robbo. This isn't your boy's club that the SC used to be, infact you're pretty much universally disliked here... You hold no gravitas or respect at all.

Nothing more than a classless wind up merchant.

And who are you? Apart from another forum rookie.

Indeed. Same MO.

Crap signings, blaming the players and falling out with them.

Someone posted yesterday that Cotterill was 'lucky'. That may well have been tongue in cheek but if you want a really lucky manager then Johnson fits the bill perfectly.

Looks like he's run out of it now though.

Deja vue.

RR

Seems like your earlier post is the perfect response to your later one. 

The only way that lucky can be applied to Gary Johnson, is that we were lucky that he took over when he  did, restored a bit of pride to the club , at a  time when we were in danger of going down the pan (so similar to what SC has done since taking over from SOD) and gave us some of the best times we've had in the last 20 + years.

Did it end badly? Of course it did - sadly for us and for GJ - but we've moved on since but down and now on the up. Some,however, seem not  to be able to let it go. 

Come grow up...

Yeah, I should grow up, and change my opinions on one of our former managers.

That said I get irritated by relatively new posters giving me a hard time. Ive no idea who they are and that's why I asked them.

Getting a slagging from posters who know my style over many years isn't a problem.

That said I get irritated by relatively new posters giving me a hard time. Ive no idea who they are and that's why I asked them.

Getting a slagging from posters who know my style over many years isn't a problem.

Of course none of us 'new' posters could have possibly read this forum for a number of years before posting could we? 

For someone who thinks very highly of themselves and their intelligence, you're a bit thick.

Did it end badly? Of course it did - sadly for us and for GJ - but we've moved on since but down and now on the up.

Yeah it did end badly and it looks as if it's about to end badly down at Yeovil, just as it did at Northampton and Posh. Co-incidence? or has he finally been found out by the Yeovil faithful.

This thread is so predictable.

You've hit the nail on the head there brother..

The amount of times over the years the whole ''RR against GJ'' debacle has been dragged up is bordering on ridiculous now.

The only real soloution i can see is if RR just refrains from commenting on Johnson, i dont see how hard that can be. But who am i to tell somebody what to do on a public forum..

Mind you the bellends that bite to RR's fishing are just as bad if not worse.

You are also entitled to your opinion and for that we are eternally grateful.

In theory you don't know anything about me but I have your respect. Again I am eternally grateful

What you need to do is not "bite" when Gary Johnson's name appears on this forum and perhaps let sleeping dogs lie, then it just all might calm down a bit.....

Yeah it did end badly and it looks as if it's about to end badly down at Yeovil, just as it did at Northampton and Posh. Co-incidence? or has he finally been found out by the Yeovil faithful.

It always ends badly otherwise it wouldn't end at all.

Fact is you were found out and told off like a naughty school boy and it still rattles.

Seems you are indeed just a schoolboy

Lee...that you.?

RR

Seems like your earlier post is the perfect response to your later one. 

The only way that lucky can be applied to Gary Johnson, is that we were lucky that he took over when he  did, restored a bit of pride to the club , at a  time when we were in danger of going down the pan (so similar to what SC has done since taking over from SOD) and gave us some of the best times we've had in the last 20 + years.

Did it end badly? Of course it did - sadly for us and for GJ - but we've moved on since but down and now on the up. Some,however, seem not  to be able to let it go. 

And some of the worst ;)

You are also entitled to your opinion and for that we are eternally grateful.

In theory you don't know anything about me but I have your respect. Again I am eternally grateful

What you need to do is not "bite" when Gary Johnson's name appears on this forum and perhaps let sleeping dogs lie, then it just all might calm down a bit.....

Good advice Phill.

II'll try.

I do get aggrieved when the things I posted about Johnson during his reign are now proving correct. I saw through him way back then and now others are now seeing the same. In that regard he's very reliable. Ultimately Johnson will never change his 'my way or the highway' style of management and that's why he eventually gets found out.

Good advice Phill.

II'll try.

I do get aggrieved when the things I posted about Johnson during his reign are now proving correct. I saw through him way back then and now others are now seeing the same. In that regard he's very reliable. Ultimately Johnson will never change his 'my way or the highway' style of management and that's why he eventually gets found out.

Do you realise our three best finishing positions in the last 25 years were with Johnson as manager (aswell as our best for 35 years)? 

Do you realise Yeovil's best EVER position was with Johnson as manager?

Would you have preferred we failed to achieve promotion from League One, or minced around at the bottom of the Championship as with every other manager over the last 25 years?

Are you for real?

Good advice Phill.

II'll try.

It was indeed good advice but you really didn't try very hard RR - one paragraph.

Indeed. Same MO.

Crap signings, blaming the players and falling out with them.

Someone posted yesterday that Cotterill was 'lucky'. That may well have been tongue in cheek but if you want a really lucky manager then Johnson fits the bill perfectly.

Looks like he's run out of it now though.

And your an ignoramus of the highest order.........

(Oh and a bit of a coward so the legend goes) ;)

Grow a pair!

Archived