IGNORED

The Meccano Has Arrived!

PhilC

The cowshed was surely the old stand where the Dolman is now

..............is the correct answer, officially called the No Two stand - but known as the CowShed - the old wooden stand

was demolished in the summer of 1966.

The East End was always officially called the covered end and was referred to as such by fans until the late 60's/70

with the rise of the so called firms or mobs.

Every firm had an end (Holte end, Shed end, Park Lane End, South Bank,North Bank.etc) and "Covered end" didn't quite cut it !

The songs wouldn't have sounded the same would they?

..."Come and have a go at the Covered End aggro"  

...." ...Doing the covered end boot walk"

..." 1,2,3,4,5 If you want to stay alive, keep off the covered end"

No, the east end was chosen as no one else had an "East" end, it sounded well 'ard, and sort of faced East-ish.

And Dame Anna Neagle.

:laugh:, had to think about that one, almost fell into the trap of correcting you with Tippi Hedren.. :)

Samantha Eggar could have nestled in there nicely too.

(No Steven Seagal in the remake either.... even worse than that why didn't the alledged City fan from down under have a role? Russell Crowe?)

I always stood behind the goal, East End, end of!

I used to always stand  in the covered end when I was 5 ft nothing and get there an hour early to get a good position and then about 5 minutes before kick off some 6 ft chap would come and stand in front of me.   On the Sunday the back of my knees would ache because of all the standing on tip toe.   Happy days!

I'm looking forward to seeing how they propose to remove that vertical girder from the Dolman and still keep the roof supported - that's a hefty load of weight they need to support - especially with the Dolman roof being extended out even further !!

There is another vertical girder attached to the one in the Williams so maybe the Dolman will be the same.

No, but he has been known to ride in on it ;) I remember the IKB class 47 and also the IKB Castle.

I also have an indoor 16mm scale line 4'3" by 2'9" with 14" curves!

Yes,   I used to see  IMB  Castle class going past Victoria Park quite a lot in my old spotting days,  Victoria Park was handy for me as I lived in Oxford Street then.

After they've extended the roof of the Dolman are they going to tidy up the existing roof at all? E.g. Paint it or replace the fading panels on top and at the back of the stand?

On a lesser issue, what about the seats in the upper section of the Dolman? Will they be replaced to match the new ones in the South stand and new lower rake of the dolman or will they stay the same?

I used to go to the Covered End in the 1970's and it was called the Covered End. There may have been a few people who stood in the corner who called it the East End but they were in the minority. Forty years ago the majority of City Covered End supporters stood behind the goal. Those who stood in the Dolman corner were the 1970's equivalent of the present day Netters

Yep, I started going in the Covered end, behind the goal in the mid 60's. It was not known as 'east end' at that point.

The cowshed was surely the old stand where the Dolman is now, it fell down / was condemned in the mid 60s and we were left with a terraced enclosure.

The turnstiles may have said Covered End but it's been the East End since I started standing there in 1973, even when the club stopped half price entry for juveniles. I think entry was 75p in the promotion season and 90p in the first year in Division 1. From memory juvenile entry to the open end was 40p.

Exactly, I was referring to idiots such as Sextone mistakingly using it's wrong name.

What would we do without the forum on a Sunday afternoon? All the discussion about whether the Colin Daniel Shed End was previously called the East End or the Covered End is fascinating. I can remember that end before the roof was built and we just called it the gurt tump end.

My first match was in 1970, and it was certainly called the East End by younger fans by then.

'We are the East End, We are the East End, We are the East End, Ashton Gate' was memorably amongst the chants at my first match, but I'd also heard it referred to as the East End previously by older boys down the park who were already going to AG. 

I guess the East End at that time was just the lads who stood chanting directly behind the goal, and older fans - maybe not that much older-  who didn't want to be part of the developing East End culture (and the often menacing chants that accompanied it) continued to call it the Covered End.

It looks like the EE name was around from the late 60's onwards to me, but the East Enders was an expanding youth culture rather than the universally used name by all patrons of the stand.

What would we do without the forum on a Sunday afternoon? All the discussion about whether the Colin Daniel Shed End was previously called the East End or the Covered End is fascinating. I can remember that end before the roof was built and we just called it the gurt tump end.

Hang on, when I was a nipper and my dad first took me to the Gate (1975) we had the covered end and the open end, otherwise known as the Park end and the East end.

I always thought the 'East end' was the fans name for the covered end and the 'Park end' was the fans name for the open end. One had a roof, hence the 'covered' end and one didn't hence the 'open' end.

It made perfect sense to an 8 year old then but I'm not sure it does to a 47 year old now. :grr:

Archived