IGNORED

The Meccano Has Arrived!

PhilC

So let me get this right - the new Williams will be almost twice as high as the current Dolman stand?

Bloody hell, thats big

Yep, that's how I understand it too.

It won't be called the Williams though, it will be the 'gert biggun' by most I should think.

Question, does anyone actually know why the EAST end is being replaced by the SOUTH stand? Is it purely geography or a ploy to nullify the east enders?

It doesn't face East, it faces South. The EE was called that after the fans used to stand in the east side of it, and the name stuck.

(I think I've got that right, correct me if I'm wrong someone else)

It doesn't face East, it faces South. The EE was called that after the fans used to stand in the east side of it, and the name stuck.

Being a bit gnit picky.

The new Wedlock is at the south south east end of the pitch.

Dolman at east north east, Williams at west south west and Atyeo at north north west.

This was always just called the Covered End until relatively recently when some people stated calling it the East End.

Same as the "Park End". This is just a very new name given to what was previously called the open end.

Being a bit gnit picky.

The new Wedlock is at the south south east end of the pitch.

Dolman at east north east, Williams at west south west and Atyeo at north north west.

No googling and cheating... easy little Sunday afternoon trivia question:-

Which of the AG Stands 'orientation' (according to above post) closely resembles a famous movie by a famous director?

& starred an actor with strong local connections?

Wake up, it's been known as the East End for more than 40 years!

I used to go to the Covered End in the 1970's and it was called the Covered End. There may have been a few people who stood in the corner who called it the East End but they were in the minority. Forty years ago the majority of City Covered End supporters stood behind the goal. Those who stood in the Dolman corner were the 1970's equivalent of the present day Netters

Which of the AG Stands 'orientation' (according to above post) closely resembles a famous movie by a famous director?

North by North West Directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring local lad made good, Archibald Leach.

I had thought Psycho, but then I realised that Anthony Perkins wasn't a West Country lad.

I know Chelsea have already got theirs, but could the South Stand not become the Shed End thanks to Shedman?

Alternatively, the Colin Daniel Stand, obviously, but it's a bit of a mouthful.

CD Stand? CD Rack? The Rack End?!

Maybe a bit too tangential..

The Tangent End.. The Tangend!

I'll stop.

I used to go to the Covered End in the 1970's and it was called the Covered End. There may have been a few people who stood in the corner who called it the East End but they were in the minority. Forty years ago the majority of City Covered End supporters stood behind the goal. Those who stood in the Dolman corner were the 1970's equivalent of the present day Netters

Hmm, surely it was during the 70s when we became bow legged chickens doing the East End boot walk?

...and if you wanna stay alive keep off etc etc...

Turnstiles called it the Covered End , so did many of us too... Guess it was a time of name transformation and the East End prevailed and stuck... How many called it the Wedlock for example? ..

I always stood behind the goal, East End, end of!

Looking at the design for the new williams,its the extended roof section which gives it it height and capacity

I wonder if the footings steelwork going in place on the new south stand have been provisioned for this extension in the future if needed, ie add on the 2nd tier the same as the new williams will be

Hmm, surely it was during the 70s when we became bow legged chickens doing the East End boot walk?

...and if you wanna stay alive keep off etc etc...

Turnstiles called it the Covered End , so did many of us too... Guess it was a time of name transformation and the East End prevailed and stuck... How many called it the Wedlock for example? ..

It's been the East End since the early seventies at least even if it's geographically wrong. But some idiots even referred to it as the cowshed/ shed end (Sextone). I suppose it depends where you're from as to how you refer to it, if you were a lad in there singing and chanting then, it's the East End, others said covered end,

I've mentioned before (quite a while ago) .In 1969 when the plans of the Dolman were first shown (no "fly-through" then, bit like now) the working title was the new "North Stand"  (God knows why). Therefore, the Covered End MUST be the East End, so everyone thought !

It's been the East End since the early seventies at least even if it's geographically wrong. But some idiots even referred to it as the cowshed/ shed end (Sexstone). I suppose it depends where you're from as to how you refer to it, if you were a lad in there singing and chanting then, it's the East End, others said covered end,

The cowshed was surely the old stand where the Dolman is now, it fell down / was condemned in the mid 60s and we were left with a terraced enclosure.

The turnstiles may have said Covered End but it's been the East End since I started standing there in 1973, even when the club stopped half price entry for juveniles. I think entry was 75p in the promotion season and 90p in the first year in Division 1. From memory juvenile entry to the open end was 40p.

North by North West. Starring Archibald Leach, schoolmate of the great Paul Dirac.

Archived