IGNORED

The Official Afc Wimbledon Matchday Thread... Presented By Randy Marsh

Randy Marsh

There is more than one sort of bad defending. It doesn't have to be giving the ball away or letting someone run through. I always feel that we give opponents too much space on the edge of our box. Usually it means we win the defensive header, but everyone is back in the 6 yard box and guys further out are free to get in a shot. Once a "wonder strike" has been hit, it is too late, but getting in the guy's face, or getting there first, makes it hard to strike it that well. Yesterday was a bit different, but Francome still had space. This time it was because the midfield (Smith I think) didn't go back with him and there was nobody close to him when he picked up Mr KFC's layoff. 

the gap between defense and midfield has been too big at times and it can invite pressure, City are strongest when Freeman, Agard or Ayling have the ball at their feet as these 3 (they aren't the only players) are very good at running with it and going round people,

In the latter stages of games our ball retention has been lacking, normally from about 85 minutes on, while we do score a lot of late goals we also concede them too, This can be down to the fact that we leave subs late soe we have a combanation of tireing legs and players trying to get into the game (I'm think pack and JeT), not a good combanation,

the gap between defense and midfield has been too big at times and it can invite pressure, City are strongest when Freeman, Agard or Ayling have the ball at their feet as these 3 (they aren't the only players) are very good at running with it and going round people,

In the latter stages of games our ball retention has been lacking, normally from about 85 minutes on, while we do score a lot of late goals we also concede them too, This can be down to the fact that we leave subs late soe we have a combanation of tireing legs and players trying to get into the game (I'm think pack and JeT), not a good combanation,

I think this is a very good explanation of what has caused anxiety to many supporters late in the game several times this year. We have been getting away with it and long may that continue but one day it's going to bite us in the bum.

I'd say about half of those strikes is down to us failing to retain possession or not pushing out,

fleetwood scored 2 good goals but one of those was because ayling (i think) failed to clear his lines,

Bradford would of beaten us if they didn't come for a draw as they were decent going forward

Mk Dons we were better but it was an almighty cock up from elliot that nearly cost us,

While we are still performing what also needs to be taken into account is that we have been bedding in 7 new players while understanding is starting to get there (we are showing some more steel) they are still learning each others games,

that has to be taken into account

I think Bantam 10 said the same thing. Several times.

Archived