IGNORED

The Wade Elliott Red Card Analysis Thread

Fordy62

Firstly the Swindle player puts an elbow up as Elliotts challenge comes in, so initial foul to BCFC, the Swindle player then petulantly flicks out a foot and catches Elliott 2nd offence and then pulls puts both hands on Elliott and hauls him back 3rd offence and for his 4th offence a guy who is well over 6 foot tall throws himself to the ground holding his face claiming a butt from a guy who is 5 foot 8 inches tall.

Piss poor decision, the Swindle guy commits 4 offences during the incident and gets off scot free, that is unbelievable.

But you were happy to blame Wade on that evidence.

I quote "retaliation is a red card offence, so we are royally screwed.

Wade cost us the game yesterday"

MORON!

The linesman made the decision. He had a clear view of the incident and deemed it a red card. We on the other hand....have inconclusive video evidence. So we can only go on what the linesman has seen and given.

Less of the name calling as well. Just because your a forum brown nose shouldnt make you exempt of forum rules

The linesman made the decision. He had a clear view of the incident and deemed it a red card. We on the other hand....have inconclusive video evidence. So we can only go on what the linesman has seen and given.

Less of the name calling as well. Just because your a forum brown nose shouldnt make you exempt of forum rules

There is nothing inconclusive about the initial contact. Elliot was elbowed, then kicked and pulled back, we can all see that...

If the linesman didn't see that, then maybe just maybe, he is not up to the task and this will be taken into account at the appeal.

He obviously didn't have a clear view of the incident at all, he's missed 4 separate offences in that one incident and if he only saw the butt, pretty convenient i'd say.

He obviously didn't have a clear view of the incident at all, he's missed 4 separate offences in that one incident and if he only saw the butt, pretty convenient i'd say.

I agree 100%

He may well get a slap on the knuckles as he did miss a number of things. However if he is claiming an elbow or headbutt....Its down to us to prove otherwise. As I said....its unclear on that video.

You all know the score. The FA will always give benefit of the doubt to the officials unless you can 100% prove otherwise.

I hope im wrong

I agree 100%

He may well get a slap on the knuckles as he did miss a number of things. However if he is claiming an elbow or headbutt....Its down to us to prove otherwise. As I said....its unclear on that video.

You all know the score. The FA will always give benefit of the doubt to the officials unless you can 100% prove otherwise.

I hope im wrong

No offence but I hope you are too

Someone needs a word with Harry Toffolo (think thats the no. 15 celebrating the sending off) as well. That whole incident, together with the after match celebrations paint Mark Cooper in a pretty poor light.

For me....celebrating a sending off is one of the lowest things a player can do.

Says to me the plan was to get someone red carded.

Vile

You said, and I quote again "Wade cost us the game". If you refuse to withdraw and apologise, then you are truly a moron. I believe there are vacancies on the Gas forum. Should you choose to take one, I'm sure you would feel at home.

You said, and I quote again "Wade cost us the game". If you refuse to withdraw and apologise, then you are truly a moron. I believe there are vacancies on the Gas forum. Should you choose to take one, I'm sure you would feel at home.

Apologise for what?

His sending off no doubt changed the whole game. If the red card is upheld....which I feel it will be....then yes, he cost us the game.

I will apologise if the red card is over turned.

Ahhh the good ol "you should be a gashead". Jeez grow up mate

Apologise for what?

His sending off no doubt changed the whole game. If the red card is upheld....which I feel it will be....then yes, he cost us the game.

I will apologise if the red card is over turned.

Ahhh the good ol "you should be a gashead". Jeez grow up mate

So Wade is responsible for successful cheating by a Swindon player? Interesting ethics, that.

Not the successful cheat, but the victim, is responsible. H'mm.

Strikes me that you listen to too many Sky commentaries.

How that's trolling I'll never know. But you got your dig in.

10am is a reasonable hour. Reading through STFC and BCFC forums while having some breakfast. The internet is such a distraction.

You either will be perceived as the level headed sensible Swindon fan or a smarmy WUM. Considering we can now see it isn't a red card, I suggest it's the latter.

Think he was really unlucky.

Looking at it lots of times, and trying to be impartial as you can, his head does rise when contact is made. He clearly can not see the other player, but think an appeal is doomed. Just unlucky, and think the reaction as much as anything gets him sent off. If anything more a clash of heads than a deliberate butt.

At least a yellow the other way as well. Was rather selective viewing from the lino. Equally, if Elliott goes down like he has been shot from the first challange, it could well have been a red for them. If the lino has seen the kick off the ball, then arguably two reds.

If you slow down the highlights at 48/49 seconds, Elliott stops to block their player, after a fair bit of provocation. His head rather than going back does however go up, and makes some kind of contact. Pretty sure its a natural movement, and all he is doing after being tugged is holding his ground. It is that bit that will mean the appeal will most likely fail however.

As for Wade costing us the game, I disagree. The decision did. Bit like getting your forward sent off for elbowing in the air, when any reasonable interpretation is that their is no intent. Just the cookie crumbling the wrong way.

Two players playing hard, fifty fifty, one goes down like a sniper has taken him out.

That is the cheating bit.

Think he was really unlucky.

Looking at it lots of times, and trying to be impartial as you can, his head does rise when contact is made. He clearly can not see the other player, but think an appeal is doomed. Just unlucky, and think the reaction as much as anything gets him sent off. If anything more a clash of heads than a deliberate butt.

At least a yellow the other way as well. Was rather selective viewing from the lino. Equally, if Elliott goes down like he has been shot from the first challange, it could well have been a red for them. If the lino has seen the kick off the ball, then arguably two reds.

If you slow down the highlights at 48/49 seconds, Elliott stops to block their player, after a fair bit of provocation. His head rather than going back does however go up, and makes some kind of contact. Pretty sure its a natural movement, and all he is doing after being tugged is holding his ground. It is that bit that will mean the appeal will most likely fail however.

Two players playing hard, fifty fifty, one goes down like a sniper has taken him out.

That is the cheating bit.

The problem is that refs tend to do **** all if you dont go down. Going down like you've been shot gets them to pull their finger out. 

The swindle player grabs Elliot around the neck with 2 hands and i think what Elliot has done is just a natural reaction to shake him off red card the other way for me.

Don't think the ref gave it, it appears to be the lino.

We know Elliot is not that sort of player as for them, well their antics for the rest of the match and after will tell you that.

As for derby game not for me i thought all theirs derbies were thames valley for the studio cockneys.

Surely they weren't as bad as chesterfield

Interestingly Iain Dowie said on Sky yesterday that Swindon were living up to their reputation in the division for play acting, something that we also saw at AG last season and unlike Andrew Cryer he isn't a City fan..

Interestingly Iain Dowie said on Sky yesterday that Swindon were living up to their reputation in the division for play acting, something that we also saw at AG last season and unlike Andrew Cryer he isn't a City fan..

Interesting that on the football forum lots of swindon fans are saying its justice for wade getting a player sent off at Ashton gate last season, when all he does is a foul (and even a bad tackle, just an indisputable foul if that makes sense)

Interesting that on the football forum lots of swindon fans are saying its justice for wade getting a player sent off at Ashton gate last season, when all he does is a foul (and even a bad tackle, just an indisputable foul if that makes sense)

Which just makes me wonder even more if Wade was targeted for a stitch up beforehand. Might explain why the Swindon players was SO pleased when it actually came off.

Which just makes me wonder even more if Wade was targeted for a stitch up beforehand. Might explain why the Swindon players was SO pleased when it actually came off.

It does make me wonder too, but when you see here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-XbiDuZ6Y78

How little wade does, especially compared to the swindon number 5 yesterday, it almost seems laughable

I will try not to be to pedantic, but assistant referees are just that they don't make decisions, they give guidance to the referee on what they have seen.

Probably not a good idea to call someone out for name calling and then do it yourself as well, but I continue to be pedantic!

About the incident!

I think there is plenty of video there to make an argument particularly is it seems you see a little more on the replay.

The natural reaction of being pulled back by both of the shoulders is for the head to go up as you are coming back. Try it at home everyone. Your back will tense your shoulders will rise and you tend to go to the balls of your feet, which adds to a feeling of possible toppling over. All of these are quite normal.

The argument will be that did Wade Elliot's head rose when he felt body contact to effectively chin the guy with the top of his head!! You can answer that either way, the linesman saw that as a deliberate act BCFC saw that as a natural reaction to being puled back, and indicative of a player wanting to get away/shrug off a two handed grip.

The pull which of in itself should have been a yellow card went unpunished, will be a factor, but I think there is plenty to appeal the decision. Lets fact it. the guy went down holding his face/head not his chin and suffered no cut or damage. 

My thought is 50 - 50 but what it will also highlight is the deliberate foul play and blatant cheating of this football club and this has now been noted on TV. This will eventually resonate with the Referee's association and the FA....Which will eventually come back to bite them!

One thing I would mention is that awful six fingered Swindle supporter who was on here telling us all about an elbow yesterday afternoon....You sir are a cock of massive proportions (probably of tiny proportions too)!

Having seen the footage now, I feel obliged to end my brief exile to contribute. I won't stick around for the response because you guys do need time to vent.

1. Jack Stephens protects himself from Wade Elliott's half-hearted late tackle (not at all malicious from Elliott). I don't see anything wrong with that, it's certainly no "smash". Anyone who's played any sort of competitive football will know that this is part and parcel of the game.

2. Jack Stephens prevents Wade Elliott from moving forward by grabbing his shoulders. It's a free-kick to Bristol City and a yellow card for Stephens for obstruction and not violent conduct which has been mentioned. He's not trying to hurt Elliott, he's trying to prevent him from running. The referee is watching this unfold yet fails to blow up. Big mistake.

3. I won't try it at home but I can't agree with the notion that he's naturally shrugging off Stephens. It's red mist by Elliott who stops and leaps. It's violent conduct with an emphasis on conduct. 7 times out of 10 he will probably get away with that but Stephens goes to ground.

4. Wade Elliott may well have been targeted by Swindon because he has this in his locker. Elliott isn't even a statistically nasty footballer but I can think of two other incidents involving Wade Elliott and Swindon Town alone (a tackle which essentially ended Keith O'Halloran's career and the cynical tackle that (correctly)

Last season Elliott's tackle on Pritchard could have easily resulted in Town's player rolling around on the floor, instead Pritchard pushes Elliott to the ground and correctly gets his marching orders. Elliott might have thought 'here's another young loan player, let's see how he reacts to this'. I'm not saying that's what happened but who knows?

You won't care about my opinions and this isn't a justification but since the professional game was formed, footballers have always looked to gain some kind of advantage and always will. Overreacting to contact (Stephens) or trying to sneakily 'get the boot/head in' (Elliott) is a part of the same element of the game, the advantage. Every club does it, including your own. 

Rich.

[EDIT] Deleted some potentially provocative phrases.

It does make me wonder too, but when you see here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-XbiDuZ6Y78

How little wade does, especially compared to the swindon number 5 yesterday, it almost seems laughable

I think it's things like this that stop me from enjoying soccer as much as I'd like. Really appreciate the individual skills on display but red cards for a handbag pushes and crazy play acting, etc... it really spoils it for me.

Watching the most recent video I cannot see a red card offence, aside from the raised elbow of the Swindon player.

Archived