IGNORED

The Price Of Success?

Nogbad the Bad

Definitely see your point, but I still want us to get there and stay there. Luckily for you, you've had the pleasure of seeing City in the top flight... Many of our fans haven't and that experience, be it one season or ten, would be something every fan should get to experience and enjoy. 

Football is about being the best you can be and testing yourself against the best. That's why this season doesn't feel as special as maybe it should. I personally feel we are playing well below our potential in this division and winning this league should be an expectation rather than a surprise. That's probably quite an arrogant viewpoint... But there we go.

So, basically I'd love to see City in the top division, and I'd find a way of affording it too.

The club would take notice of similar sized clubs prices should City ever reach the PL and should there be any complaints about the cost of tickets they'll simply say "it's the going rate".

It'll be a case of take it or leave it.

Personally I'd like to get there even if iCity come straight back down.

I don't think we need to start worrying too much about this yet as we're still in League 1. I think with SL behind us he wouldn't want the regular fans to be priced out, I'm sure there would be special deals for ST holders etc. and the less attractive fixtures, though the away fans I'm sure would have to pay the full rate.

This is a real paradox of being a football supporter these days.

I truly want success for Bristol City, but I don't want the 'prize' that would come with it.

What would be best would be winning the Championship and then saying 'no thanks' to the premier league, although it will obviously never happen.

The only other way would be to refuse to pay the obscene wages, refuse to sign overpaid journeymen on a vastly overhyped reputation alone and keep ticket prices reasonable. They would probably get hammered every week but would at least get hammered with integrity intact!

Preston explicitly stated this back in the 90s when they looked like going up.

They said that it was too early for them and if they do the fans will notice no difference, ticket prices would not be increased they will make no big signings and can expect to be relegated.

All the TV money and parachute payments would be spent on buying and developing a new training ground and facilities to make the club stronger and better-equipped so that if in ten years' time they went up then they would be strong enough to have a good chance of staying up.

As it happened they didn't actually go up but that is the sort of brave thing I would hope Steve would say for City if we got promoted this season and then somehow went straight up again.

Preston explicitly stated this back in the 90s when they looked like going up.

They said that it was too early for them and if they do the fans will notice no difference, ticket prices would not be increased they will make no big signings and can expect to be relegated.

All the TV money and parachute payments would be spent on buying and developing a new training ground and facilities to make the club stronger and better-equipped so that if in ten years' time they went up then they would be strong enough to have a good chance of staying up.

As it happened they didn't actually go up but that is the sort of brave thing I would hope Steve would say for City if we got promoted this season and then somehow went straight up again.

Some things can only fill you with hope.....

Some things can only fill you with hope.....

I know it's not going to get the champagne corks popping but this was against a backdrop of clubs (Bradford, Barnsley) spending desperate sums on over-the-hill players in the hope of staying up and then collapsing when they got relegated, ending up near-bankrupt and in the third or fourth divisions.

This is a real paradox of being a football supporter these days.

I truly want success for Bristol City, but I don't want the 'prize' that would come with it.

What would be best would be winning the Championship and then saying 'no thanks' to the premier league, although it will obviously never happen.

Very much sums up my thoughts.

Ideally the oft threatened PL breakaway will actually happen, leaving FL clubs to compete to be Champions of the Championship every season as their ultimate goal.

Would it be fair to add Swindon to that list as well?

I thought Swindon and Portsmouth's collapses were down to financial mismanagement and multiple owners rather than a Chairman gambling their club's future on staying up but you could well be right.

Bradford is the one that sticks in my mind, the Chariman (Geoffrey somebody) admitted he had gambled and lost on ageing and very expensive signings like Benito Carbone keeping their club up.  They haven't ever recovered, relegated in 2000, went all the way down into the fourth (been there, done that!) and now in the third.

Not knowing the ins and outs of the German model of football (half owned by the fans?). What's stopping just our club going down that route? We seem fairly forward thinking as a club what with the safe standing and pushing for alcohol on the terraces. This would surely be a brilliant bit of publicity with the climate football is in at the moment.

Surely, in the scheme of things, gate reciepts are a drop in the ocean compared to the TV money.

So it must be possible to keep season tickets low and absorb the difference with other income.

I suppose it depends on how much silly money you are prepared to spend on signings. Let's be honest, some premiership signings seem way over the top indeed.

Completely agree, once the initial novelty of playing the 'big' clubs wears off, the PL really is a stain on English football. Just greed, greed and more greed.

Surely, in the scheme of things, gate reciepts are a drop in the ocean compared to the TV money.

So it must be possible to keep season tickets low and absorb the difference with other income.

I suppose it depends on how much silly money you are prepared to spend on signings. Let's be honest, some Premier League signings seem way over the top indeed.

Think I read that after the boost in TV money last summer, clubs could let their fans in for free and would still have had more income than the season before. Obviously, this wouldn't happen but they all pretty much raised their ticket prices, don't think there was any clubs who reduced prices.

The thing is, with the PL, you'll get gloryhunters who haven't payed a bits notice to the club suddenly flocking to the ground, and they'll come in their thousands. This leads to the PL pointing out that attendances are high etc, but a lot of the true fans who have supported the club for years end up being priced out.

Not knowing the ins and outs of the German model of football (half owned by the fans?). What's stopping just our club going down that route? We seem fairly forward thinking as a club what with the safe standing and pushing for alcohol on the terraces. This would surely be a brilliant bit of publicity with the climate football is in at the moment.

Just about everything is stopping BCFC running more in line with German clubs. Germany has the 51% rule where no one individual can own the FC. The way Bristol City and it former assets e.g. Ashton Gate are structured thus prevents fans being involved influencing the football club. German clubs have a approach that is an opposite.

At Bayern Munich the FC is divided into differing elements. Fans have a firm say in some areas, but commercials are in a separate company ran with a board of professionals, however again this would bear little relation to what occurs with BCFC - BS.

Completely agree, once the initial novelty of playing the 'big'

clubs wears off, the PL really is a stain on English football. Just greed, greed and more greed.

Think I read that after the boost in TV money last summer, clubs could let their fans in for free

and would still have had more income than the season before. Obviously, this wouldn't happen but they all pretty much raised

their ticket prices, don't think there was any clubs who reduced prices.

The thing is, with the PL, you'll get gloryhunters who haven't

payed a bits notice to the club suddenly flocking to the ground, and they'll come in their thousands. This leads to the PL

pointing out that attendances are high etc, but a lot of the true fans who have supported the club for years end up being

priced out.

If we do get to the prem whay's the betting that first in the qurue for tickets will be village green objectors and theout of town libetal elite that stand in the way of progress in the city.

Every club in the top two tiers (except for Wolfsbury and Hoffenheim I think) are 51% owned by the equivalent of the supporters trust. This does not rule out big investors who can take up the remaining 49% but it gives security. The fans vote not on every decision but they essentially pick the board who then run the club. As the board answer to the fans not a sugar daddy they're decisions are more fan focused than profiteering. 

The problem with just becoming fan owned is that we would have to buy a lot of shares from SL and the other share holders at a huge cost. If you look at the fan owned clubs in the UK, most have suffered huge financial difficulties so shares are cheap enough for the fans to buy.

I am fully behind this but with SL as our owner there is no rush. However SL will not be around forever so our club could be at risk from foreign big business owners like Mr Tan. English football is so backwards and too top heavy so fan ownership across the board, alcahol and safe standing in all 4 tiers in a long long way off imo.

If you are reading this share holders and you fancy gifting us your shares...nom nom nom.    

Leeds united. What a business model! Mortgage every asset to the hilt on 25 year lending with massive early redemption penalties. What could go wrong?

Incidentally, cheap tickets in the premiership is a great idea but given demand would then outstrip seats, how else can you determine who can have them?

Leeds united. What a business model! Mortgage every asset to the hilt on 25 year lending with massive early redemption penalties. What could go wrong?

Incidentally, cheap tickets in the Premier League is a great idea but given demand would then outstrip seats, how else can you determine who can have them?

Link please?  (I'm not doubting you, just interested as I'd missed that happening what with all the revolving managers).

completely agree with mike clitoris, on a side note mike, you recently mentioned that although you live in Weston you support Gloucestershire at cricket ! very commendable, Jordan tansley also lives in Weston and supports Gloucestershire, have you two ever met ? you'd have plenty to talk about, you both support city and despite living in a town full of Somerset supporters you both suppose Gloucestershire ! if by any strange chance you also supported Liverpool it be almond as if you were one and the same person ! Do you like Liverpool mike ? please tell !

I personally don't think 2-3 hours of an average person's pay is that too much to watch some of the best players in the world.

Maybe not for a one off event.

But with football you're talking about doing it 20 times a year. That's a large slice of anybody's money.

completely agree with mike clitoris, on a side note mike, you recently mentioned that although you live in Weston you support Gloucestershire at cricket ! very commendable, Jordan tansley also lives in Weston and supports Gloucestershire, have you two ever met ? you'd have plenty to talk about, you both support city and despite living in a town full of Somerset supporters you both suppose Gloucestershire ! if by any strange chance you also supported Liverpool it be almond as if you were one and the same person ! Do you like Liverpool mike ? please tell !

You need a hobby pal.

Welcome back Timothy

For me it's a balance.

Following City is very much a social thing as a 'success' thing. It's never really bothered me what league we play in, as long my club is healthy and my mates still go.

i've said it many times before on here, but i'm afraid the 'Premier League' is a facade created by the Murdoch empire and the rich elite, that the media, armchair fan and some core fans, have all fallen for.

I want city to win matches. if they win enough then we may play in a different league. That's about the extent of it for me.

It really isn't that important, and those you think it is have sadly been conned.

Archived