IGNORED

The Price Of Success?

Nogbad the Bad

Last time we were in this division, someone on this forum asked "Do you want City to play in the Premier League"? The majority of fans declared that's overpriced and would be quite content for City to be a strong Championship team that every few years had a good cup run.

Then we got promoted and came within 90 mins of the Premier League and so many people changed their opinions and did want City in the Prem.

If YOU posted on that thread seven or eight years ago, have your views changed since your reply then?

Again, dont confuse the issues. I want city to win games and this may ultimately mean they play in Div 1. It doesnt mean I care about the premier league brand and need my club to be involved in order to validate itself.

The paradox really is that many people have in the past 5 years or more have had what amounts to 20% pay cut in real terms, whilst at the same time entrance prices have gone up well beyond the inflation rate to fund the wages that have also gone up well beyond the inflation rate.

it is said on average that Bundesliga players are paid 60% less than their premier league counterparts.

Mate, don't take this personally but I was asked a question by nogbad and I responded in the best way that I could and in a totally polite way, sorry if that's not good enough for you but I thought that I answered nogbads question as throughly as my limited intellect would allow, love you.

Your reply was totally relevant to the thread in that it was originally about the price of tickets in the premier league. I think that your reasoning may well be wrong though in that the stadium won't be "full of plastics who are only their to watch Rooney or whoever". There may be a few like that, but the vast majority would be City fans. The people that switch from being once or twice a season attendees to ST holders when success comes knocking might not be quite as diehard as some, but they are not plastics.

Prem Football is pricing itself out to the average man.

Going to a game should be like buying a paper or a chocolate bar...you shouldn't have to think about it twice.

So many average lads, would now rather go down the pub, hang with their mates and have banter about football on the TV, than spend that money on 90 mins of football...plus all the expenses of getting there etc.

It is a catch 22...we all want our Club to do well...but it is an entertainment.

I spent 3 seasons watching the top players playing at Old Trafford as a season ticket holder.

I was bored out of my brain.

I'm far more entertained in this league and the Championship.

So on my experience... I'd be happy to be a good Championship side.

Your reply was totally relevant to the thread in that it was originally about the price of tickets in the premier league. I think that your reasoning may well be wrong though in that the stadium won't be "full of plastics who are only their to watch Rooney or whoever". There may be a few like that, but the vast majority would be City fans. The people that switch from being once or twice a season attendees to ST holders when success comes knocking might not be quite as diehard as some, but they are not plastics.

Back in 2008 i knew 4 people who were going to buy season tickets if we beat Hull just to see the 'Big Teams' & one of them was a Sag...

completely agree with mike clitoris, on a side note mike, you recently mentioned that although you live in Weston you support Gloucestershire at cricket ! very commendable, Jordan tansley also lives in Weston and supports Gloucestershire, have you two ever met ? you'd have plenty to talk about, you both support city and despite living in a town full of Somerset supporters you both suppose Gloucestershire ! if by any strange chance you also supported Liverpool it be almond as if you were one and the same person ! Do you like Liverpool mike ? please tell !

I couldn't have put it better myself. The premier league has become a horrendous yard stick by which casual fans seek to validate themselves.

As for the second part of your post, I suppose we would have to wait and see should City ever get there.

Thought provoking stuff certainly.

So why we're you attacking my totally relevant post, easy dig at the forums morin who only comes on here to give people light relief was it ? believe it or not I have actually got a brain, and I am a long long time City fan who cares deeply about the club, , I am a very polite person who always respects other peoples opinions, unlike the cyber bullys who appear to dominate this forum ! before this gets twisted into Timothy bird ruining another thread, that's my last word.

Last time we were in this division, someone on this forum asked "Do you want City to play in the Premier League"? The majority of fans declared that's overpriced and would be quite content for City to be a strong Championship team that every few years had a good cup run.

Then we got promoted and came within 90 mins of the Premier League and so many people changed their opinions and did want City in the Prem.

If YOU posted on that thread seven or eight years ago, have your views changed since your reply then?

I don't know if I posted on that particular thread 22A, but if i did I'd expect it to show my feelings on the PL were much the the same as they are today.

I've been anti the PL, and the thought of City getting there, for a very long time, and I've never been slow to say so on this forum.

It would be very interesting if someone could dig that old thread up. Was it in a poll form?

Wel nogbad in the season that we lost to hull in the p off final I went to a supporteers meeting with s l and he said that if we went up the price of season tickets would not go up so I guess that still applies, personally I've got no interest in the premier league and I doubt if id actually go much, I just don't fancy sitting in a stadium full of plastics who are only their to watch Rooney or whoever, having said that id still like us to get their, it would mean so much to sl to achieve his dream and it would so p the sags off !

I well remember posts on here after the Hull defeat telling of City fans singing on the trains after the game, and Hull fans looking bewildered and almost depressed that they'd won.

Maybe it was sinking in with the Hull fans that the reality of reaching the PL wasn't quite the the exciting prospect ahead they'd thought it would be. They'd perhaps begun to think of the downsides as well. Perhaps also the City fans, after the initial disappointment, had come to the quick realisation that the journey had been more enthralling than the potential destination, and that being a competitive club in the Championship wasn't so bad after all.

I'm not really interested in SL's dream, it's not my dream. Another of his dreams was to obliterate Ashton Gate and move City to a soulless bowl at AV - my idea of a nightmare, and one I'm very relieved didn't come true.

First and foremost I want to see a committed Bristol City team I can afford to support playing at Ashton Gate, preferably on a Saturday at 3pm. I want them to be competitive in the division they're in, play entertaining football, and hopefully watch them battle to come out on top against teams of a comparable standard.

The level they play at is less important to me, but I have come to the conclusion that if City do reach the PL then much of what I treasure about being a Bristol City supporter will be lost in the overhyped money fixated cess pit that is the PL.

Therefore it is the one division I would not want our club to be in, and if that goes against SL's dream, so be it.

Actuall nogbad I agree with everything you ssy except where you say that sl wanted to move us to a soulless bowl at Ashton vale, imo a soulless bowl is exactly what sl is planning to turn Ashton gate into, but that's another subject, don't want to be accused of ruining another thread ! respect to you.

I don't generally like new build stadiums Tim so I'm very hopeful the revamped AG will give us the best of all worlds.

Comfort - I won't be getting soaked occasionally in the Lower Dolman - vastly improved facilities in the stands, reasonable prices, 80%+ of the off field income AV was projected to produce, the real possibility of safe standing in the future for those who want it, a good atmosphere, and all in the familiarity of our traditional location. Which is a location I love and a match for any in English League football imo.

I don't think it will lack soul at all, at least I'm very hopeful it's going to be a great stadium for BCFC going forward. We shall see though.

I'd like to see City fans at both ends and away fans to be literally out the way high on one side, but for whatever reason this seems to have been discounted by the club. That's a bit disappointing.

As for you ruining threads, forget it, you've got as much right to give your views about City as anyone. My advice is try not to get sidetracked by unimportant non football forum issues, leave that to the mods.

There's only one reason any of us are on this on this forum, and that's a shared love of BCFC. Concentrate on giving your views on our great club - nothing else that goes on here is important or worth getting heated about.

Archived