IGNORED

Wade's Red Card Appeal - Upheld ? (Merged)

Major Isewater

shut up tom ;)

Like for like replacement is Reid, however I'll go with pack against PNE as they are more physical, that or look to bring another player in on loan

I think bringing in another player on loan is not an option as it may risk the "musketeer" like feeling within the squad. If the players we have are good enough to sit on the bench and come on as sub, they should also be good enough to play from the start when called upon. If those players on the bench don't feel they are required, negativity can set in which can kill the squad spirit.

On the contrary. Given that he was going to be sent off anyway - maybe he should have retaliated. He'd have got the same punishment.

As I said before, I missed the first ten minutes as was stuck outside.  However, 3 completely different people I spoke to, including one who was very close to the incident....has said he deserved to get sent off.

Was he fouled three times leading up to said incident? absolutely.  The fact the referee missed all three is an absolute disgrace.

...however retaliation is retaliation.  As sad as it is, you dont win an appeal because "he was fouled three times before, its the Swindon player who hascaused it".

Everyone on here saying he didnt do anything.....how can you say that? the video evidence is massively inconclusive.  The linesman was running alongside and gave it

I stand by what I said....Wade cost us the game.  Stop blaming everyone and their dog and actually take responsibility for our actions.

He cocked up.  He, the team, and the fans....paid the price, and will do now for another 3 games

I'm flipping annoyed about the injustice of this. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty, it seems the opposite here, you must be guilty as we can't prove otherwise. Wtf? Never mind the actions of the Swindon player who was involved, or the one celebrating the red card (was it the same one?)

Would set a dangerous precedent to have it any other way. Say a referee sees an off the ball punch which isn't caught clearly on camera. The defending club would be able to get it overturned purely because of a lack of evidence. As much as this way has screwed us over today it's the best way to do it.

A disgusting decision and the club must be fuming.  What is the point in the appeal system - does anything ever get overturned?

Only consolation is that Wade seems like a level headed chap and will be able to handle it well.

Yes, it does actually. Nathan Thompson taking down the last man against Cheltenham somehow got overturned.

Not sure how they were ever going to overturn it based on the same footage everyone else saw. Was very inconclusive with the main offence being out of shot as far as I could tell.

Its a loss, but we have had a pretty good run without injury or suspension, now the depth of squad comes into play.

A disgusting decision and the club must be fuming.  What is the point in the appeal system - does anything ever get overturned?

Only consolation is that Wade seems like a level headed chap and will be able to handle it well.

How could it be overturned without any clear evidence?

Well, good thing we recalled Reid really, isn't it?

Not great, but with Pack a replacement, Elliot now getting some enforced rest/returning with something to prove, and Reid having been on form at Plymouth now likely eyeing the chance to impress if called upon, then the situation could have been worse.

I'd say that Elliot does a lot of hard work in that central area, but at least Smith is back to fitness, so that is something.

And as the above comment says; I'd not say it was the greatest of stretches to say that JET might (just might...) be eyeing this as a chance too.  

He's done well when called on recently, and would certainly give the likes of PNE something different to think about.

This is frustrating but we need to move on. 

We need to forget about what happened last weekend (hard I know), and look forwards.

One thing is for sure: after everything that happened last Saturday the return match at Ashton Gate is going to be hostile to say the least, especially if we are both near the top of the league.   

Town fan in peace here.  I jumped on interested to see what the reaction has been to the decision today.  Working in Bristol and living nearby as well gives me some good conversations regarding the two teams.

After a red card and no clear video evidence to suggest otherwise, I felt the red card was always going to stand.  Being there on Saturday, and having a clear view of the incident, I think Elliott was a little rash in what he did.  Stephens was quite clearly the instigator of the situaton being quite physical in the build up, but Elliott reacted in a way he should not have.  The City players seemed fired up to a point where they were over the top.  But.... I do believe the officials overreacted to the situation.  The first couple of minutes in a derby game should warrant both players being pulled to the side, talked to, made to shake hands and crack on.  It changed the shape of the game before it began which is a shame.

Regarding to making the most of it.... well, he probably did and I have a feeling that has happened for and against Swindon and for and against City already this season.  What comes around goes around has been mentioned on here numerous times.  Wade Elliott was highly invloved in our sending off last season at Ashton Gate.  Pritchard was red carded for retaliating - shouldn't have done it!  Simple.  Granted, it was more clear cut.  But what goes around, comes around.  Elliotts turn.

About the dive too.... the 'headbutt' isn't seen on camera, so I'm surprised to read so many 'diving' comments.  If you can't see the so called headbutt, you can't see the dive either.

Anyway, what's done is done.  City looked good.  First half you couldn't tell you were a man down.  And understandably in the second half you had to set up differently to contain and hit on the break.  I was very impressed with Fielding, Ayling, Bryan, Freeman and it pains to say, Flint too.  Very solid back there.

Atb against Preston.  On the evidence I have seen, you are one of the two automatics.  Beating Preston will do us a favour.

One last thing which may not win me any friends.  Thompsons 'rather silly celebration' is something that was misplaced on the day.  Shouldn't have done that but I believe it was more of an outburst of emotion rather than incitement.  And even if I am being a bit too 'Swindon' on that topic, police, really?  I've seen no police reports being logged for the Flint hand gestures towards The Town End.  But I suppose we weren't so interested in the opposition players at that point.

If Flint dances in front of us at Ashton Gate in April.... what will be your reaction?  (apart from we've won the game!!)

Good luck for the rest of the season, except 6th April, obviously.

Is this where we now see JET coming in to the team?

Not a like for like replacement obviously, but what are the other options?

Pack....maybe, and possibly wouldn't disrupt our usual pattern/style of play too much

Reid....Jury out

Others?

Agreed, he is the sort of player that will turn a game in our favour, but think Pack is a nailed on replacement,

Archived