IGNORED

Have We Signed Anyone Yet?

Esmond Million's Bung

You could apply that particular piece of wisdom to many strikers, as I mentioned on another thread Andy Cole is classic example, as was my hero Jimmy Greaves.

At the moment the important 'number' is he is weighing with important goals at a vital time, why not just extend his loan until the end of the season as cover/competition for the ageing Wilbraham and then judge him properly and not just in the OTIB way that the experts actually did with Wilbraham?.

Wilbraham was appraised and dismissed by some based on his age and career goal scoring record before he'd played a game for City.

A poster giving his considered opinion on Smith having watched him play several times for City, home and away, is completely different.

All would agree it's good Smith has got some goals, but that in itself doesn't mean he's the answer, or that City shouldn't be actively seeking an alternative.

There aren't many of his type available though so I suspect you are right in saying that a loan extension is likely to be sought.

Wilbraham was appraised and dismissed by some based on his age and career goal scoring record before he'd played a game for City.

A poster giving his considered opinion on Smith having watched him play several times for City, home and away, is completely different.

All would agree it's good Smith has got some goals, but that in itself doesn't mean he's the answer, or that City shouldn't be actively seeking an alternative.

There aren't many of his type available though so I suspect you are right in saying that a loan extension is likely to be sought.

Really?, so what do you think the current generation of BCFC fan would have made of Paul Cheesley's first 2 years at AG?.

At the moment it's going ok and we might ala Cheesley see a different type of player when he is fully fit, so a loan extension if possible should be a no brainer.

What nonsense.

He said he supports him at matches, he just doesn't think he's very good.

Based on watching him live at games home and away so he's more than entitled to hold that opinion.

We know that a headline goals total for a striker does not tell the whole story.

Good point well made.

There are many on here that don't go to many ( if any) matches, including Robbored, so would think Nicky Hunt was good if he scored in two consecutive games.It's not about goals only- if it was then Agard is a much much better player than Freeman which,imo, he isn't

So far and again imo, Smith has totally underwhelmed me in the three games I've seen him in even when he scored. The reports from the Gillingham match which I didn't go to hasn't changed my view but his next game which I will see could

However, if SC believes he is the best guy he can get as cover for Wilbs/Agard then I believe that SC is right, has very good reasons and I'm wrong. I really think that SC gets a lot more right than wrong. Tyrone Barnett and Adam El-Abd were his only very poor signings in hind sight. Matt Smith could yet come good as an all round player and if SC's strategy was always likely to involve a season long loan then we could end up seeing why Matt Smith did well in his season at Leeds. The amount of chances our team creates will almost always result in someone getting on the end of it.

The only confusing bit for me is that if Matt does come good, keeps scoring and gets match fit: why on earth would a struggling Fulham side not want their player back?

Good point well made.

There are many on here that don't go to many ( if any) matches, including Robbored, so would think Nicky Hunt was good if he scored in two consecutive games.It's not about goals only- if it was then Agard is a much much better player than Freeman which,imo, he isn't

So far and again imo, Smith has totally underwhelmed me in the three games I've seen him in even when he scored. The reports from the Gillingham match which I didn't go to hasn't changed my view but his next game which I will see could

However, if SC believes he is the best guy he can get as cover for Wilbs/Agard then I believe that SC is right, has very good reasons and I'm wrong. I really think that SC gets a lot more right than wrong. Tyrone Barnett and Adam El-Abd were his only very poor signings in hind sight. Matt Smith could yet come good as an all round player and if SC's strategy was always likely to involve a season long loan then we could end up seeing why Matt Smith did well in his season at Leeds. The amount of chances our team creates will almost always result in someone getting on the end of it.

The only confusing bit for me is that if Matt does come good, keeps scoring and gets match fit: why on earth would a struggling Fulham side not want their player back?

There you go, Tyrone Barnett was signed on loan, with a view to being a permanent signing (fee agreed) and SC's view was he wasn't worth signing permanently and sent packing and according to the ITK's El Abd was a Burt signing, that makes SC's record even better.

I would have thought SC's reasons are at this stage quite apparent, we have a player on loan, who has been highly regarded by Oldham, Leeds and presumably when they signed him Fulham, he is totally unfit and SC knows that and instead of claiming 'look at me i'm wonderful' made mention of that fact post Gillingham. He is a great understudy to Wilbraham and in time may even prove a like for like replacement, who knows?.

As for the last sentence, perhaps the new manager has already made a judgement on Smith and bearing in mind he was signed to play up front with McCormack and the informed view is Fulham are looking to possibly unload McCormack in the window, maybe not so confusing at all.

There you go, Tyrone Barnett was signed on loan, with a view to being a permanent signing (fee agreed) and SC's view was he wasn't worth signing permanently and sent packing and according to the ITK's El Abd was a Burt signing, that makes SC's record even better.

I would have thought SC's reasons are at this stage quite apparent, we have a player on loan, who has been highly regarded by Oldham, Leeds and presumably when they signed him Fulham, he is totally unfit and SC knows that and instead of claiming 'look at me i'm wonderful' made mention of that fact post Gillingham. He is a great understudy to Wilbraham and in time may even prove a like for like replacement, who knows?.

As for the last sentence, perhaps the new manager has already made a judgement on Smith and bearing in mind he was signed to play up front with McCormack and the informed view is Fulham are looking to possibly unload McCormack in the window, maybe not so confusing at all.

Perfect. Let's sign McCormack then.  ;)

Oh i'm sure there will be those who think that he's awful as well.

Well- maybe if they're Fulham fans!!

Your suggestion that "according to the ITK's El Abd was a Burt signing" is a new one on me in that I didn't think that Keith could go out and sign a player in isolation any more than SC can. KB's job, as I understand it from official BCFC press releases and SL's interviews is that KB finds the players for the positions SC has requested and SC then identifies which one from the short list provided- this then gets sanctioned by fat-wallet. Perhaps Adam was on a short list of one?!

Either way El Abd on a 3 yr contract was a strange one. I will totally support SC's decisions because he's earned it both on and off the field and when I question the worthiness of a player on this forum- it is never replicated whilst watching and supporting them . Like I said- my current view on MS is much more likely to be wrong and am no scout or pundit. I just say it as I see it.

Anything to do with Gerard Hoffnung?

I have heard his (hilarious) Oxford Union 'Bricklayer's Lament', also sung by several artists, and seem to recall he also spoke about French widows.

Hoffnung indeed. "There is a French widow in every room"...

Really?, so what do you think the current generation of BCFC fan would have made of Paul Cheesley's first 2 years at AG?.

At the moment it's going ok and we might ala Cheesley see a different type of player when he is fully fit, so a loan extension if possible should be a no brainer.

Cheesley was just over 20 when City signed him, at a time when division 2 football was far more a man's game than today.

Dicks obviously saw real potential in the raw youngster and this was realised in truly awesome fashion before his 23rd birthday.

Smith will be 26 next birthday and has none of the athleticism, tenacity, heading ability, or potential to markedly improve that Cheesley had.

I'm aware your comparison isn't directly with Cheesley as an individual,  merely that players in general can improve to become an almost unrecognisable version of their former selves.

The odd one does indeed make that transformation but in general they don't, and we have had probably dozens of strikers since Cheesley, permanent or on loan, who looked awful early on, and remained awful.

At almost 26, Smith is basically a finished article and, despite the possibility of him improving his fitness, is always likely to remain cumbersome, comparatively slow, and lacking in composure and finesse in front of goal.

He can put himself about in the box, will no doubt score a few headed goals due to his height advantage, but I don't see these basic traits improving significantly just because he gets a bit fitter.

I'm not denying his physical presence will be useful for while, but I'd hope his signing on loan to the end of January is insurance in case Cotts. can't get the striker(s) he truly wants in the window, so Smith will either be useful inbetween, or his loan can even be renewed late in January if necessary.

Archived