IGNORED

Prostituted

NickJ

East End Ultras Flag removed because it's offensive?

My first thought was 'someone must have hacked into DLs account'. No one in their right mind would make such a statement. As someone with a financial/personal profile that no doubt fits perfectly with Bristol Sports target consumer audience can I just say that I have absolutely no problem with the word 'Ultra'. To me, the term infers young, passionate supporters - just those that are needed to bring atmosphere to what would be a soulless stadia.

However, it's all starting to add up, spurious reasons to justify no unreserved areas, questions on 'how do we manufacture an atmosphere', Bubblegate, now this.

Can we please spend a bit of the Stadium improvement money on sending the Bristol Sport 'men in suits' on a football fan customer awareness course? Shocking.

Foam hands at the ready.

Ultras are a type of sports fan renowned for ultra-fanatical support, occasionally to the point of violence and hateful chants and slogans. They are predominantly followers of association football teams, typically in North Africa and Europe.

The behavioural tendency of ultras groups includes the use of flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums, all of which are designed to create an atmosphere which encourages their own team and intimidates opposing players and supporters. The use of elaborate displays in stadiums often is common, as well.

The actions of ultras groups are occasionally extreme and may be influenced by political ideologies or views on racism.[1] In some instances, this goes to the point where the passionate and loyal support of one's team becomes secondary to the theoretical ideology of the ultras phenomenon.[2] In recent decades, the culture has become a focal point for the movement against the commercialization of sports and football in particular.[3]

In 2013, the Associated Press stated that the Egyptian Ultras network was one of the most organized movements in Egypt after the Muslim Brotherhood.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

I took some close up pictures of the flags, there was a Willem 'Amigos' flag too, before the game. I sit in the Dolman and had no idea it had been removed until now.

Ultra, it's a word. Often used in advertising isnt it, ultra soft, ultra effective. Not offensive. I think that angry Ernie Robin sends out a more menacing message, will they ban him!

The comments about the blue on the Bristol Sport flag are comical.

Does the yellow on the Thatchers advert and yellow staircases signify an allegiance to Wolves?

Or the green pitch to Yeovil or Plymouth Argyle?

And the white lines on the pitch to Spurs or Leeds U.?

Agreed, it's an all encompassing banner, what colour do the rugby boys play in?

Blue is the colour of our rivals, the one that we share our good city with. Red defines us as Bristol City, blue as Bristol Rovers. That's ingrained into my core. You are either a 'red' or a 'blue' in North Bristol.

Could you see Anfield being bedecked in blue?

Yet more watering down of our heritage. Slippery slope.

Blue is the colour of our rivals, the one that we share our good city with. Red defines us as Bristol City, blue as Bristol Rovers. That's ingrained into my core. You are either a 'red' or a 'blue' in North Bristol.

the banner doesn't bother me one jot tbh as long as our kit remains red and the seats are red

Ultras are a type of sports fan renowned for ultra-fanatical support, occasionally to the point of violence and hateful chants and slogans. They are predominantly followers of association football teams, typically in North Africa and Europe.

The behavioural tendency of ultras groups includes the use of flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums, all of which are designed to create an atmosphere which encourages their own team and intimidates opposing players and supporters. The use of elaborate displays in stadiums often is common, as well.

The actions of ultras groups are occasionally extreme and may be influenced by political ideologies or views on racism.[1] In some instances, this goes to the point where the passionate and loyal support of one's team becomes secondary to the theoretical ideology of the ultras phenomenon.[2] In recent decades, the culture has become a focal point for the movement against the commercialization of sports and football in particular.[3]

In 2013, the Associated Press stated that the Egyptian Ultras network was one of the most organized movements in Egypt after the Muslim Brotherhood.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

... and do you really think that the East End 'Ultras' align themselves with this or more with the 'Nigels' at Palarse.

Jesz ... Next the St George's flag will be banned due to its association with the EDL/BNP.

What has that got to do with a banner on display at a football match?

It's a banner on display advertising a group of teams that include a team that play in blue that play in the ground owned by that company. I suppose you have registered your distress at every advert at the ground over the years that has contained any blue, whether they are connected with the club or not?

Yeah if we are not careful we will fall down the slippery slope into financial security and perhaps even Premier league football........ god I wish it was like the old days. FFS

Blue is the colour we wore in our only FA Cup final appearance. Should we delete that from our history?

the banner doesn't bother me one jot tbh as long as our kit remains red and the seats are red

Fair enough, the banner is just a temporary fixture and isn't true Rovers blue so I'm not overly concerned about that. The worry is the blue that is creeping in on the more permanent fixtures and fittings at the stadium.... next will be the kit. Trust me. Royal blue shorts anyone?

Fair enough, the banner is just a temporary fixture and isn't true Rovers blue so I'm not overly concerned about that. The worry is the blue that is creeping in on the more permanent fixtures and fittings at the stadium.... next will be the kit. Trust me. Royal blue shorts anyone?

should we remove white from our kit? because they have white in theirs,

Where is this sea of blue at ashton gate anyway because its mostly red/white and rust from what I can see

Where is this sea of blue at ashton gate anyway because its mostly red/white and rust from what I can see

You know full well blue is synonymous with rovers as red is with us, white is neutral shared with both clubs.

Stop being pedantic for the sake of it

Don't worry Monkeh it's just yet another example of the conspiracy theories from the nah sayers. of course when the South Stand is finished it will have blue seats, we will be called Bristol Sport FC in the next few years, clapping will be banned, only away supporters will be allowed to cheer, only 10% of the ground will remain for those of us who are "non-corporate" and a small mortgage will be required to purchase those tickets. All this will come to pass for it has been written....... 

Don't worry Monkeh it's just yet another example of the conspiracy theories from the nah sayers. of course when the South Stand is finished it will have blue seats, we will be called Bristol Sport FC in the next few years, clapping will be banned, only away supporters will be allowed to cheer, only 10% of the ground will remain for those of us who are "non-corporate" and a small mortgage will be required to purchase those tickets. All this will come to pass for it has been written....... 

hehe, people see what they want to see,

There is more blue at ashton gate, normally on a friday night when the oval shaped ball is in use ats that's their home colours

If we did a Cardiff and changed our shirts from red to blue then by all means be outraged I'd be at the head of that queue,

But its not going to happen unless lansdown was removed from power, he'd never have us playing in blue not in a million years,

Hmm, that was over a hundred years ago.. It's not got quite the same meaning as it did then. No one on this forum even watched that game for a start!

So if you didn't watch something you can't have respect for that history or heritage?

Should youngsters these days not be told of John Atyeo? Or of Bobby Moore leading his country to World Cup glory?

So if you didn't watch something you can't have respect for that history or heritage?

Should youngsters these days not be told of John Atyeo? Or of Bobby Moore leading his country to World Cup glory?

That's different - were talking about a colour here. In modern football - blue isn't synonymous with Bristol City and is the colour of our rivals. If it was green we played in in the FA cup final that's different.

When you see Blue - you don't think "oh yes! We wore thst colour when we lost the fa cup final 116 years ago!" You think rovers, Cardiff..

We still play in red.

We still have the same badge.

Our programme is still called Well Red.

The club shop is still full of red things.

We've all just been given a red and white scarf.

And we're getting a new stadium with 27,000 red seats that might finally put this club on the map.

What a terrible erosion of our identity.

Red banners and red adverts all round the edge of the ground do a great job of making our players hard to pick out.

And not sure what is so abhorrent about blue logos. It's not as if there is a rival bristol league club playing in that colour any more.

Am I the only one who thinks that the logo in question (which isn't actually the Bristol Sport one but for the redevelopment of Ashton Gate incidentally) is meant to be the Bristol Channel with the stadium rising out from the sea?  I.e an allusion to where Bristol's fame and success came from in the past and our attempts to use the stadium to move forward into the future?  Hence the sea being blue.  I'm not saying it entirely works but that's what I thought it was.  I certainly didn't look at it and think Bristol Rovers, or fear our image was being compromised.

I've read through this thread several times and I just don't see how an umbrella company sticking up some advertising signs around the ground, many of which are temporary, particularly threatens our identity.  If I'm being wholly romantic and ignoring pragmatism, I'd quite like it if there were no non BCFC related advertising slogans, logos or banners at all around the ground and I wasn't being bombarded by adverts for a whole host of things that aren't Bristol City.  But that isn't the world we live in and I can't see how one more advertising banner makes a difference.

ame="Port Said Red" post="2176891" timestamp="1422277766"][/quote

Agree with you on many points. SL has been brilliant. Where we may differ, and need to agree to differ, is that we don't need a satanised ground in order to achieve his objective. COYRs.

A devilish approach? :)

I understand some of the points raised by you and others in this and other threads, at least I would if I could see any examples of where what has happened so far has been detrimental to the club. My main point of dispute is with the "the whole world is going to come crashing down around our ears" type posts, that are made based on assumptions and are not retracted when those assumptions don't become fact.

Archived