IGNORED

Prostituted

NickJ

Talk about paranoid. This apparently ghastly Bristol Sport organisation has just given us all a red and white scarf with Bristol City written on it!

Club's name - still Bristol City FC

Identity - still the same badge on the shirt and the same colour kit

Roots - we're redeveloping our spiritual home!

Traditions - they still play the Wurzels

If Steve Lansdown was actually a Vincent Tan type dictator with a desire to turn us into a franchise playing in purple and pink stripes, I think he might have done it by now.

All scarves (to be on the safe side should be washed in biological detergent, tumble dried for a minimum of 45mins then transferred to a microwave cooker for a series of short (just a couple of seconds each time) bursts on the highest setting. Remove to a room away from the family, telephone or computing equipment etc, placed in an old Quality Street tin with two shredded wheat biscuits a selection of strong magnets and one use PG Tips teabag (dripping wet).... The lid should be firmly placed on top and the whole ensemble inserted into a brushed nylon pillow case. Leave for as long as practical, at least until the teabag has dried thoroughly.. Best not open it til the next home game match day at Ashton Gate.

It should now be safe to place around ones neck or wear in a manner comfortable to the individual, maybe tied around wrist etc..

These instructions in combination with all the component directions carried out carefully and in order will have completely made safe and free from any tracking micro-chips, recording chips or deep fried micro frites any such devices inserted by dubious organisations will now be nullified and ineffective.. You are now free to enjoy your scarf and football free from fear of scarf related surveillance -except please remember don't trust the hot-dogs, you can't be too care full nowadays.

COYR's..

All scarves (to be on the safe side should be washed in biological detergent, tumble dried for a minimum of 45mins then transferred to a microwave cooker for a series of short (just a couple of sec

Your application for the job on Bristol Sports Domestic Maintanace has been approved.

House rules include: no swearing, no autonomy and absolutely no questions.

Here's your complimentary scarve.

I took some close up pictures of the flags, there was a Willem 'Amigos' flag too, before the game. I sit in the Dolman and had no idea it had been removed until now.

Ultra, it's a word. Often used in advertising isnt it, ultra soft, ultra effective. Not offensive. I think that angry Ernie Robin sends out a more menacing message, will they ban him!

Ultra in that sense is "going beyond what is usual or ordinary" so ultra soft means "softer than the normal" and ultra effective means "More effective than the usual". This was the meaning of Ultra in football too until it became a meaning of it's own which is associated more with hooliganism etc I don't blame the club for trying to distance itself with the title of "Ultras" because it is most commonly used to describe fans of an extreme nature and being as the club is aiming to create a family atmosphere it wouldn't look great for outside fans to assume we have an extreme section of fans who associate themselves with violence. We obviously know that was not the intention of our fans, to be seen in that manner but if someone did not know what an "ultra" was an googled it the first thing they would come across is the more violent side of things.

Blue is the colour of our rivals, the one that we share our good city with. Red defines us as Bristol City, blue as Bristol Rovers. That's ingrained into my core. You are either a 'red' or a 'blue' in North Bristol.

Could you see Anfield being bedecked in blue?

Yet more watering down of our heritage. Slippery slope.

You mean Liverpool who sported this kit not so long ago?

liverpool-gerard-kuyt.jpg

or our goalkeeper kit recently:

BCFC-Home-Goalkeeper-Kit-Blue.jpg

Honestly it's like a stupid conspiracy theory, "careful boys, they're going to turn us blue and change our name!" haha. Do you really think Lansdown is going to change Bristol City FC to Bristol Sport FC? It would make no sence, he'd lose the fans, he'd be changing the history he knows as a fan of the club himself, we'd become a target for the media much like Cardiff did when they "rebranded" etc

Lansdown is not a stupid man, but that does not mean he's some kind of evil genius trying to get us to turn on our own clubs history.

I don't blame the club for trying to distance itself with the title of "Ultras" because it is most commonly used to describe fans of an extreme nature

Or fans attempting to be different, original, passionate, supportive etc ..

All good things. Forget the tag, it was just that at Bristol City, tongue in cheek.

Bristol Sport if they do not watch out will become a name associated by fans with bland conservatism and at times stupidity. The BS "Brand" will dilute the Clubs identity, and is as it is autocratic in the manner it functions.

Fair comments but just to re-iterate the scarf is the manifestation of the problem, not the problem itself, particularly coming as it did after the several incidents of the past few days. I would embrace Bristol Sport if (a) it was done differently and (b) they embraced us as fans and in particular did not alienate the fans who create the atmosphere which Bristol Sport allegedly crave.

I have said for years that a genuine grass roots Bristol City fan should be represented at board level and in my view the events of the past few days demonstrate that even more clearly.

I would also like to see Bristol Sport do things differently and I actually think that given time and the correct input they might. This far they've done ok with the major things (redevelopment of AG) but the day-to-day stuff (ticketing, fan interaction) they haven't. I believe that if they can develop a more 'personal' touch then the club will be in a much better position to move forward on and off the pitch. This is only the first full season of Bristol Sport and it's not that surprising that they've got things wrong. How quickly they get things right will be the test and until the new East End is full of fans, I'm not sure their attitude towards the fans can be completely judged

I absolutely agree about fan representation on the board and I've mentioned that in the past. However, it would be very difficult to orchestrate in practice and there would inevitably be argument amongst the fans over whether that one person on the board could possibly represent all views. I'd actually like to see Mr Lansdown offer up a percentage of the club (a small percentage at this stage, say 5%) to a fans group in exchange for a seat on the board. You could set up a trust with an initial limit on the number of members, i.e. 1000, who would all contribute an annual fee which goes to the club via said trust in exchange for a voting position on the board. The trust can vote annually for the person who sits on he board. Does that make sense? It would formalise a fan place on the board and create a model that could potentially be expanded in the future. Perhaps the money from the 'trust' could then be ring fences for improving supporter experience?

Anyway, those are just some ramblings I have in my head, I've no idea whether it could be realised

I would also like to see Bristol Sport do things differently and I actually think that given time and the correct input they might. This far they've done ok with the major things (redevelopment of AG) but the day-to-day stuff (ticketing, fan interaction) they haven't. I believe that if they can develop a more 'personal' touch then the club will be in a much better position to move forward on and off the pitch. This is only the first full season of Bristol Sport and it's not that surprising that they've got things wrong. How quickly they get things right will be the test and until the new East End is full of fans, I'm not sure their attitude towards the fans can be completely judged

I absolutely agree about fan representation on the board and I've mentioned that in the past. However, it would be very difficult to orchestrate in practice and there would inevitably be argument amongst the fans over whether that one person on the board could possibly represent all views. I'd actually like to see Mr Lansdown offer up a percentage of the club (a small percentage at this stage, say 5%) to a fans group in exchange for a seat on the board. You could set up a trust with an initial limit on the number of members, i.e. 1000, who would all contribute an annual fee which goes to the club via said trust in exchange for a voting position on the board. The trust can vote annually for the person who sits on he board. Does that make sense? It would formalise a fan place on the board and create a model that could potentially be expanded in the future. Perhaps the money from the 'trust' could then be ring fences for improving supporter experience?

Anyway, those are just some ramblings I have in my head, I've no idea whether it could be realised

rovers do that and it hasn't got them anywhere in fact they just become another mouth piece for the board

Doesn't mean we couldn't do it differently and make it work

true, I don't think it would work personally as the person would have little power and the fact the fans will never agree on anything will go against it,

In fact if it were to happen it would just be another David Lloyd just one not employed by the club,

When the next fans meeting? alot of this needs to be brought up,

• Admin

This far they've done ok with the major things (redevelopment of AG) but the day-to-day stuff (ticketing, fan interaction) they haven't.

But the redevelopment of the ground was in motion a long time before BS came alive, can they really be credited with it?

As for giving them time to settle in etc, these people have been in this job at other clubs before, this isn't their first taste of working with football

But the redevelopment of the ground was in motion a long time before BS came alive, can they really be credited with it?

As for giving them time to settle in etc, these people have been in this job at other clubs before, this isn't their first taste of working with football

Then let's all stamp our feet and piss and moan and demand instant change because we perceive them to be doing it all wrong

The issue wasn't the taking advice or not of H&S regulators, the issue was the lying to supporters. My old man is a family man and to always tell the truth is one of his big things.

This group then remove a flag because of their fear it will detract from some kind of family image they are, ironically, trying to manufacture.

If this isn't being the enemy and spoiling for a fight, what is?

Well, lots of other things. I don't disagree that both incidents (especially the flag) were handled incredibly poorly, but I think to use them to declare BS the enemy a over the top

At the end of the day, I'm not here to tell you, Nick or anyone else how they should feel about where our club is right now. I just don't think at this stage that they've done enough to warrant the aggression. You may be proved right and we could end up playing in blue and being jolly nice to all the opposition teams while eating prawn sandwiches and quaffing champagne in plush seats, but that's a hell of a jump from where we are now. I think a lot more is to be gained from working with them than against them at the minute

Well, lots of other things. I don't disagree that both incidents (especially the flag) were handled incredibly poorly, but I think to use them to declare BS the enemy a over the top

At the end of the day, I'm not here to tell you, Nick or anyone else how they should feel about where our club is right now. I just don't think at this stage that they've done enough to warrant the aggression. You may be proved right and we could end up playing in blue and being jolly nice to all the opposition teams while eating prawn sandwiches and quaffing champagne in plush seats, but that's a hell of a jump from where we are now. I think a lot more is to be gained from working with them than against them at the minute

Agree, there is a lot more to be gained by working with them, sadly they don't seem to feel the same. It seems to be " give us your ideas so we can then weed out what we don't want and give you what we want"

Agree, there is a lot more to be gained by working with them, sadly they don't seem to feel the same. It seems to be " give us your ideas so we can then weed out what we don't want and give you what we want"

isn't that the point tho' some ideas could be completely un-workable,

fighting them isn't going to acheive anything but bad feelings, we need to work with them and put the points across in a constructive manner,

Or fans attempting to be different, original, passionate, supportive etc ..

All good things. Forget the tag, it was just that at Bristol City, tongue in cheek.

Bristol Sport if they do not watch out will become a name associated by fans with bland conservatism and at times stupidity. The BS "Brand" will dilute the Clubs identity, and is as it is autocratic in the manner it functions.

I get that but there are plenty of names they could have used that is not associated with violent groups. I'm not saying that anyone who calls themselves an Ultra is a thug or Hooligan but some will look at it that way and so I think it's just a lot easier to pick a name that won't come attached to a stereotype.

I get that but there are plenty of names they could have used that is not associated with violent groups. I'm not saying that anyone who calls themselves an Ultra is a thug or Hooligan but some will look at it that way and so I think it's just a lot easier to pick a name that won't come attached to a stereotype.

East End Ultra rolls off the tongue better

Maybe we could South Stand Superfans that may suit Bristol Sport ;)

isn't that the point tho' some ideas could be completely un-workable,

fighting them isn't going to acheive anything but bad feelings, we need to work with them and put the points across in a constructive manner,

The trouble is BS seem to put obstacles in the way of every fan led initiative put before them and are creating an us and them divide.

that may be maybe they only want to deal with the supporters trust, I don't know again these are all points we need to bring up at those meetings,

Not actually witnessing them putting the obsticales in place its really hard to judge,

Hopefully we can work it out but both sides need to sit down and talk constructivly first,

Perhaps we could contact palace and see how they went about setting things up, theres so many positives from their movement dispite me hating palace they may be able to help,

I don't know tho'

• Admin

that may be maybe they only want to deal with the supporters trust, I don't know again these are all points we need to bring up at those meetings,

Not actually witnessing them putting the obsticales in place its really hard to judge,

Hopefully we can work it out but both sides need to sit down and talk constructivly first,

Both very true, but surely if BS are having a bigger say in all things Bristol City, surely these guys are experienced enough that they should know they should be having dialogue with people from day 1?

Just from the last week it's shocking how much they have gotten wrong, now it feels like just a matter of time before the next balls up, within BS I'm sure that they were taken aback by the reaction not just on here but other City forums and social media - surely they must now realise they need to take a step back and work out what it the best plan of action?

One thing I still can't my head around is why BS are seemingly running the show, where have the Bristol City board of directors suddenly disappeared to?

I assumed BS was more a marketing team bringing the associated sports together, but they are having much more of a say around AG8 already

Both very true, but surely if BS are having a bigger say in all things Bristol City, surely these guys are experienced enough that they should know they should be having dialogue with people from day 1?

Just from the last week it's shocking how much they have gotten wrong, now it feels like just a matter of time before the next balls up, within BS I'm sure that they were taken aback by the reaction not just on here but other City forums and social media - surely they must now realise they need to take a step back and work out what it the best plan of action?

One thing I still can't my head around is why BS are seemingly running the show, where have the Bristol City board of directors suddenly disappeared to?

I assumed BS was more a marketing team bringing the associated sports together, but they are having much more of a say around AG8 already

well our directors were critised on here on a weekly basis last season, so maybe taking them out of the lime light and letting them get on with the job in hand with out abuse (don't think there was mcuh other then what has been written but then I'm not at the club),

BS are managing a number of clubs and maybe they are treating us and the rugby club as the same sort of fans,

which is why these things may be happening, the rugby boys are a lot less tribel and confrontational then us football fans and those at the top of BS have greatly misjudged it,

I know who BCFC's directors are but I haven't got a clue who the BS directors,

again I don't really know the answer and until we have another fans forum thingy I guess we won't know, one things for sure, they can't be allowed (happy 10 minutes of rough) to over look this flag busieness,

Port Said and Bernie and bcfcfinker, if you seriously think Bazooka was comparing Hitler with Bullshit Sport, either you need help or he does.

I will take a view it was just an easy way to get his point across.

Cheers mate. It's them who need help.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence will appreciate that I was quoting Niemoller's words to convey an important message. 

I am not comparing Bristol Sport to the Nazis. If I had wanted to do that I would have said so, wouldn't I?

Probably too subtle (or over-dramatic) for those people, so I'll summarise it as simply as I can.

If you don't like what Bristol Sport is doing, then for Fck's sake speak up NOW!

Cheers mate. It's them who need help.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence will appreciate that I was quoting Niemoller's words to convey an important message. 

I am not comparing Bristol Sport to the Nazis. If I had wanted to do that I would have said so, wouldn't I?

Probably too subtle (or over-dramatic) for those people, so I'll summarise it as simply as I can.

If you don't like what Bristol Sport is doing, then for Fck's sake speak up NOW!

Whilst it's obvious you weren't genuinely comparing BS to the Nazis, I do think quoting Niemoller - much like the 'Je Suis un Ultra' quoting going on elsewhere on the boards, is more than a tad melodramatic.

well our directors were critised on here on a weekly basis last season, so maybe taking them out of the lime light and letting them get on with the job in hand with out abuse (don't think there was mcuh other then what has been written but then I'm not at the club),

BS are managing a number of clubs and maybe they are treating us and the rugby club as the same sort of fans,

which is why these things may be happening, the rugby boys are a lot less tribel and confrontational then us football fans and those at the top of BS have greatly misjudged it,

I know who BCFC's directors are but I haven't got a clue who the BS directors,

again I don't really know the answer and until we have another fans forum thingy I guess we won't know, one things for sure, they can't be allowed (happy 10 minutes of rough) to over look this flag busieness,

Not sure if the directors have changed but, if not, then it's a combination of people who've been on the board of Bristol City and the rugby club - Chris Booy from the rugby side and Jon Landsdown and Keith Dawe from the football side.  There's a new guy in as chairman (Martin Griffiths) but it's not a significantly different board to the Bristol City one and it's not a load of people from outside the city as seems to be implied elsewhere.

I can completely get why people can be hacked off by the board's decisions but I don't really get why people talk about Bristol Sport as though it's a completely separate entity from the club.  Some of the decisions they've made are good and some of the decisions they've made are bad and sometimes they've seemed out of step with the fans but the same has always been true of the Bristol City board and it's not really all that different to that. 

Whilst it's obvious you weren't genuinely comparing BS to the Nazis, I do think quoting Niemoller - much like the 'Je Suis un Ultra' quoting going on elsewhere on the boards, is more than a tad melodramatic.

The gas seem to think it's tasteless but they would, wouldn't they?

Nazi comparisons are obviously completey out of order but Je Suis seems appropriate.

I am united in the defence of freedom of speech, like they are in France. I don't actually care about a flag and the word 'Ultras', I do care about people's right to hang it up at City games, as they have done for years.

Just my view.

Archived