IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Gillingham Match Day Thread

The Gylls family homestead so the name derives is listed in the Domesday back dating back to 1086. From a tiny hamlet Gillingham grew to about half its current size by 1901. In the scheme of British population growth that falls way short of the average and may be something to do with its linear development along the shoreline of the Medway. Famous for its Chatham Dockyard about 2/3rds of which was in Gillingham proper.

I previously noted in threads on Gillingham that I thought they had the best fish and chip shop outside any ground in the country, at least those that I had visited. That establishment has sadly now closed but perhaps they had some inspiration from chef Gary Rhodes who is associated with the town.

Whether Gillingham football club is propelled into future stardom as a potential target for foreign ownership, as has been mentioned elsewhere, will remain a mystery but if that is their wish the supporters can dream about it in the meanwhile. Until then we have a game of football to contend with to stop them with the short term glory of a Wembley appearance. 

I suspect the record book boffins will be out trying to uncover the record number of times two teams have played in a football season but I would venture that no team will have beaten the other in every single match.. how we fair tonight will keep that possibility alive.

I hope we have a decent turn out, City do not have fatigue and we win; while a draw is enough confidence truly feeds all the more with victories. perhaps a close fought contest with the possibility that Gillingham will be going for it and either score early or leave themselves open to attack from the flanks.

3-2 to City on the night.

Agard

Smith

JET

one a piece.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia

Really cant see anything else but a city Wembley day out. The Gills have to come at us and try and win 3-0 firstly have we conceded 3 all season? (too lazy to check) secondly they have to stop us scoring at least 1 and that hasn't happened too many times this season. So the opportunity to hit them on the break early doors as they come at us will clearly give us opportunity's. Hopefully we can score early put the tie to bed and rest a couple of players for the second half before the real business of getting out of this division starts again on Sunday.

Really cant see anything else but a city Wembley day out. The Gills have to come at us and try and win 3-0 firstly have we conceded 3 all season? (too lazy to check) secondly they have to stop us scoring at least 1 and that hasn't happened too many times this season. So the opportunity to hit them on the break early doors as they come at us will clearly give us opportunity's. Hopefully we can score early put the tie to bed and rest a couple of players for the second half before the real business of getting out of this division starts again on Sunday.

We drew 3-3 at Fleetwood, a more important stat is we haven't lost by more than 1 goal all season, so they'll have to do something much better teams haven't done so far and pull a 2-3 goal margin.

Have a care, sir, Horace is a refined and discriminating hedgehog.

Why are you on this thread after making your contempt for the fixture and competition very clear..?

You wouldn't watch if it was in your back garden, but you will take part in the match day thread..? Very odd!

• Like 2

Why are you on this thread after making your contempt for the fixture and competition very clear..?

You wouldn't watch if it was in your back garden, but you will take part in the match day thread..? Very odd!

Not at all. I wish the team well and the fans weller.

I would suggest, though, that anyone going wraps up warm. Between the rain stopping and the snow starting I've just demolished a buddleia that blew down on Tuesday. All extremities seem to be present and correct, but it's a damned close-run thing.

I have. My first wife came from there, which might bias me somewhat ;)

Naturally perceptions are all relative.. Gillingham would, I assure you, be a relative paradise compared to the majority of towns and cities in this archipelago. I say that not wishing to take anything away from the Philippines overall the features of which are overwhelmingly positive.

Didn't we win 4-2 at NLBR in a League Cup game a few years ago, then maybe scored first in the 2nd leg......

I can see us going 1 up inside 20 mins, then reigning it in a bit, and as someone said, McDonald will score at some point, so I'll go 1-1

We'll lose on pens after a 2-2 draw to Walsall in the final

Naturally perceptions are all relative.. Gillingham would, I assure you, be a relative paradise compared to the majority of towns and cities in this archipelago. I say that not wishing to take anything away from the Philippines overall the features of which are overwhelmingly positive.

Indeed. Perceptions are relative. I mean, the NLBR Santa's Grotto is infinitely superior to...

...er - the...

Somebody help me out here, please :sign09: