IGNORED

The Official Milton Keynes 'dons' V Bristol City Match Day Thread

If they're going to get to the playoffs.......

They're not showing any signs of it, 0-2 at Gillingham today and just 39 points with a +2 GD.

I expected a lot more from them.

I didn't, they've got Nigel Clough in charge

Great point, onwards and upwards. We need to keep the momentum going, play offs would be a disaster now having been top two for pretty much the whole season

Really does my head in when Ref's do that probably knew it should been one but thought oh i better not give that or the home fans will be waiting for me when I leave GRR.

Still a great point and the score I wanted other than us winning obviously as didn't want them to score :-)

The RB commentator was certain it was a penalty and very surprised when the Ref didn't give it.

• Admin

Clough can't motivate his players.

Against PL opponents they play brilliantly as these are the games that all League One players would be "up for" regardless of input from their manager.

But when it comes to run of the mill League One games they are often found lacking.

That to me says Clough can't motivate his players and hasn't brought in enough "leaders" to do it for him.

Just back (MK resident and watched from MK end). Overall thought a very fair result. First half felt their midfield was overrunning us a bit, but not creating much. We seemed slow to get numbers forward and Freeman often lacking options. Second half their powerful midfield runners seemed to go off the boil and Elliott and JET who hadn't done much in the the first half, improved significantly. Thought we dominated and unlucky not to grab a winner. That said, their penalty shout looked nailed on (I was sat in that corner and Ayling went at it like Gordon Banks. Might have struck his chest, but I wouldn't have complained if he'd given it). 

Overall, two good teams, although think we looked slightly better (pace up front and I think would could have secured the win, albeit glad their striker rotation meant it was Grigg's turn (hard working but in Flint's pocket), rather than Cole, whose pace could have caused more trouble). 

Most of the team played really well - special mentions to all 3 centre backs (really like how Williams and Ayling bring the ball out of defence, whilst Flint wins every header), Bryan (destined for bigger things), Freeman and my m-o-m Korey Smith. 

One (very minor) complaint - given our aerial ability, don't think we get enough reward from our set pieces. 

City fans were very loud when going for it, but a bit intermittent. Suspect MK fans were barely audible from the away end, but actually kept going reasonably well, inc a drummer who wasn't entirely annoying. 

Hope you all enjoyed a nice bite to eat at Nando's and picked up a few bits and bobs at Next before heading back west...

I'm really looking forward to Port Vale. Having read their forum it seems they were abysmal today and snatched an underserved point.

Reading their forum is worse than ours was 12-14 months ago.

They're expecting a pasting. I hope we deliver on their expectations.

Edited by Fordy62

I'm really looking forward to Port Vale. Having read their forum it seems they were abysmal today and snatched an underserved point.

Reading their forum is worse than ours was 12-14 months ago.

They're expecting a pasting. I hope we deliver on their expectations.

This really. An excellent hard played for point today, if sandwiched between two wins.

Thought you lot were excellent today support wise, very loud throughout and looked more than 5.1k.

As for the game, two quite evenly matched sides, we had more shots and chances but you lot had better and more worrying chances.

One thing that seems to becoming clear is that Craig Pawson, an apparent select group referee made a very bad decision with not awarding us a pen after Ayling blatantly handballed it from Carruthers' ball in. It looked a pretty stone wall penalty from where I was, but it also seems the ref has apologised to our manager afterwards. Karl Robinson said post match:

"They got that wrong, and the referee conducted himself very well after the game because he was very open and honest with me."

Either way, on balance I think the draw was the right result.

I can't see Bristol City not getting promoted through the automatics, I think you are looking good for top, but at the very least second auto. Certainly the best attacking side we've played against (and probably joint best with us). You seem a very hard side to beat.

If we and you lot go up I'll be happy, hate Swindle and Preston seem to be falling away. Can see Sheff Utd or Bradford going up through playoffs.

• Like 5

Thought you lot were excellent today support wise, very loud throughout and looked more than 5.1k.

As for the game, two quite evenly matched sides, we had more shots and chances but you lot had better and more worrying chances.

One thing that seems to becoming clear is that Craig Pawson, an apparent select group referee made a very bad decision with not awarding us a pen after Ayling blatantly handballed it from Carruthers' ball in. It looked a pretty stone wall penalty from where I was, but it also seems the ref has apologised to our manager afterwards. Karl Robinson said post match:

I can't see Bristol City not getting promoted through the automatics, I think you are looking good for top, but at the very least second auto. Certainly the best attacking side we've played against (and probably joint best with us). You seem a very hard side to beat.

If we and you lot go up I'll be happy, hate Swindle and Preston seem to be falling away. Can see Sheff Utd or Bradford going up through playoffs.

I agree with most of what you say. However, I reserve the right to take whatever Robinson (or any other disgruntled manager for that matter) has to say with a pinch of salt.

Our manager claims we had a nailed on 1st half penalty when your WWE centre half Mcfadzdean wrestled Smith to the ground at a corner, so swings and and roundabouts at the end of the day.

Your biggest danger as I pointed out yesterday is your poor disciplinary record and now Mcfadzdean will be out for 3 games after todays booking.

Our manager claims we had a nailed on 1st half penalty when your WWE centre half Mcfadzdean wrestled Smith to the ground at a corner, so swings and and roundabouts at the end of the day.

Your biggest danger as I pointed out yesterday is your poor disciplinary record and now Mcfadzdean will be out for 3 games after todays booking.

But our manager's dad is bigger than your manager's dad

I agree with most of what you say. However, I reserve the right to take whatever Robinson (or any other disgruntled manager for that matter) has to say with a pinch of salt.

Am surprised that the referee apologised. The only reason he could have not given it, was if he thought it hit Ayling somewhere that wasn't handball. Why he'd have changed that opinion by the end of the game isn't clear. It wasn't a ball to hand/hand to ball debate, as Ayling produced his finest impression of 'Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be Keith Waugh in his pomp'. 

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery

I like the scarf waving! Bloody screen played about a ten minute intro, we all stopped, and started again when they eventually came on!

Prefered the atmosphere at Coventry to be honest. In the top tier, and all our groups of fans seemed a bit segmented, and also more tense.

As an aside, where we were, fans seemed to sit broadly where they wanted, and I only sat down at half tme. All good natured and no trouble from stewards at all.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 1