IGNORED

Baldock

Aussie

Sam was always respectful towards the club.

Davies at Blackpool would be one not to feel sorry for, having created a similar situation. Although I always thought he was a poor version of Brett Pitman anyway.

I always forget about him, can't really picture him playing for us either!

Bit harsh. Baldock going suited everyone at the time and as mentioned Sam was always respectful to our club and player of the season last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Baldock back here at some point in the future but for now it's onwards and upwards and we certainly don't see to have missed him so far this year.

Davies at Blackpool would be one not to feel sorry for, having created a similar situation. Although I always thought he was a poor version of Brett Pitman anyway.

Yep agree with this Jordan.

SOD once told me regards to Davies - "He would of signed for anyone where he could get away with no being 100% fit each week".......

Bad trainer bad attitude Davies. Complete opposite to Baldock whose a model pro.

Not sure how people can slag off Davies, he suffered from injuries and didn't have a bad goal to game ratio and also got a few assists, end of the day we released him. He's done okay for Blackpool as well.

As for Sam he has performed as expected, he is just about Championship class, and will score a few but isn't a top class Championship striker and will never be prolific at that level. He has always been a touch above league one quality and the club done the right thing in selling him so the club didn't make a loss on him as there was no guarantee he would have another golden season this year and he wouldn't have been good enough to lead the line in the Championship should we go up. He tried his best for us and I hope he does well for whoever he plays for as he done nothing wrong here and always gave his best. Don't understand the abuse he seems to get. His sale was a good move by the club and freed up the money to buy some of the decent players we have got this season.

I'm not sure Agard is as good as Baldock but he is still young and I think will improve past Baldock, and he only cost a fraction of what Baldock cost us.

We still haven't replaced Lita, Maynard and Baldock in bringing in a fox in the box striker but at present we haven't needed one. Hopefully that is one type of striker we will look to bring in, in the summer. Matt Smith will be top of most people's wanted list, but lets remember he's doing well in league one, and has come to us having departed 2 Championship sides who obviously aren't convinced he can make the grade at Championship level. If he is going to cost us 500k+ in the summer, that may not be a risk the club wants to take and take the view that he has done his job for us already. Much the way Cotts viewed the 4/5 loanee's we had help us survive last season in which the majority of fans expected most to sign permanently in the summer, but Cotts only signed one in Elliott.

Yep agree with this Jordan.

SOD once told me regards to Davies - "He would of signed for anyone where he could get away with no being 100% fit each week".......

Bad trainer bad attitude Davies. Complete opposite to Baldock whose a model pro.

The wonder manager SOD, who was the reason we got relegated and would have got relegated again had we stuck with him. Think I would take all SOD said about players with a pinch of salt.

Not sure how people can slag off Davies, he suffered from injuries and didn't have a bad goal to game ratio and also got a few assists, end of the day we released him. He's done okay for Blackpool as well.

As for Sam he has performed as expected, he is just about Championship class, and will score a few but isn't a top class Championship striker and will never be prolific at that level. He has always been a touch above league one quality and the club done the right thing in selling him so the club didn't make a loss on him as there was no guarantee he would have another golden season this year and he wouldn't have been good enough to lead the line in the Championship should we go up. He tried his best for us and I hope he does well for whoever he plays for as he done nothing wrong here and always gave his best. Don't understand the abuse he seems to get. His sale was a good move by the club and freed up the money to buy some of the decent players we have got this season.

I'm not sure Agard is as good as Baldock but he is still young and I think will improve past Baldock, and he only cost a fraction of what Baldock cost us.

We still haven't replaced Lita, Maynard and Baldock in bringing in a fox in the box striker but at present we haven't needed one. Hopefully that is one type of striker we will look to bring in, in the summer. Matt Smith will be top of most people's wanted list, but lets remember he's doing well in league one, and has come to us having departed 2 Championship sides who obviously aren't convinced he can make the grade at Championship level. If he is going to cost us 500k+ in the summer, that may not be a risk the club wants to take and take the view that he has done his job for us already. Much the way Cotts viewed the 4/5 loanee's we had help us survive last season in which the majority of fans expected most to sign permanently in the summer, but Cotts only signed one in Elliott.

The comments you make about Matt Smith could equally apply to JET. I think the club, manager, style of play and the fans have a large influence on the success or otherwise of players at all levels.

You take it however you want kidder, Keith Burt & Pembo were also present and both confirmed what SOD had said.

Maybe when you're playing under a clueless inept buffoon your morale is shattered, also Davies was mainly injured for us, so was he lazy or injured ? He scored the most goals for us despite being on / off injured and he has scored a few at Blackpool and links up play very well playing behind the strikers for them. Davies is a capable Championship forward when he isn't injured. He done nothing wrong for us and we released him. But if he wasn't fit or giving his all, then he must be some player when sound, as he was our best forward on goals and assists return for games. 

SOD proved here how bad a manager he was, He took us from a low to mid table Championship side to nearly League Two. 

Good post, though don't agree about the bit about Davies at the beginning. The problem with Davies was that he didn't look remotely interested in playing for us towards the end of the relegation season, he barely broke sweat. You could say that about most of that team, but he had plenty of ability but didn't seem prepared to get himself fit and motivated for a relegation scrap.

Agree 100% with what you say about Baldock though. Can't understand why people feel the need to jump on his back on this forum, he was a decent player and a good pro for us.

The comments you make about Matt Smith could equally apply to JET. I think the club, manager, style of play and the fans have a large influence on the success or otherwise of players at all levels.

I agree, there is no guarantee JET will make the step up to the Championship, but we signed him in League One on a free transfer and I think it would be worth offering him a year extension to see if he can continue what he has shown if we get promoted. Regards to Matt Smith, we would be paying 500K+ and then his wages, to find out if what two Championships club have already found out, and I am not convinced Cotts or the board will be open to that. 

They will be hoping Smith goes back and does something for Fulham in the closing weeks of the season, but then it is unlikely Fulham would sell him in the Summer. I'm not convinced we will go for him this summer if we go up, as the club will be looking at potential targets already for next season and there are a number of Premier League team youngsters who are out of contract in the summer who could have more worth and value to the club should we get promoted and can attract them.

We would also be more likely to get sent a quality youngster from the Premier League on loan if we go up and look more than relegation fodder, as it would be good experience for the youngster.

The wonder manager SOD, who was the reason we got relegated and would have got relegated again had we stuck with him. Think I would take all SOD said about players with a pinch of salt.

:facepalm:

Do you really believe that, with his experience in the game, his judgement of a player means nothing? He certainly saw something good in Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Derrick Williams, Aden Flint, among others. Seems like a pretty decent judge of player there.

Good post, though don't agree about the bit about Davies at the beginning. The problem with Davies was that he didn't look remotely interested in playing for us towards the end of the relegation season, he barely broke sweat. You could say that about most of that team, but he had plenty of ability but didn't seem prepared to get himself fit and motivated for a relegation scrap.

Agree 100% with what you say about Baldock though. Can't understand why people feel the need to jump on his back on this forum, he was a decent player and a good pro for us.

I always thought it was a coaches and a managers job or at least part of it to motivate the players and if you can't do that you shouldn't be manager.

When SOD came in, he pretty much suggested we were going to get relegated and personally think that would have an affect on players. Maybe Davies didn't give his all, but he doesn't seem to have lost focus playing for Blackpool, who have had a change in manager, and have many off the pitch problems and look all but sure to go down, but he appears to be one of the players really fighting for the cause.

If any player could have the desire to curl up and die so to speak, then any could be excused at Blackpool this season, so why is it he isn't doing the same for them as he did for us, or is it possible that he was actually always carrying an injury as he stated when he joined Blackpool who gave him time to get fit and paid for an operation and probably had no confidence in the manager, and by the way they played he wasn't the only decent player who looked distinctly average under SOD.

You only have to look at the way any number of our ex Championship players have looked since departing SOD's Bristol City !

Some even making a name for themselves in the Premier League, and the likes of Martyn Woolford and co even look very good in the Championship.

Unfortunately most of our fans blame the players who went from looking crap for us and good for someone else, when the reality is they were poorly managed by a clueless manager who gave the players no confidence and made they look crap with his depressing dire football we were subjected to, yet when he departed those who remained stepped up a gear under Cotts and those who departed suddenly looked good again at new clubs.

:facepalm:

Do you really believe that, with his experience in the game, his judgement of a player means nothing? He certainly saw something good in Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Derrick Williams, Aden Flint, among others. Seems like a pretty decent judge of player there.

Just because you can see something good in a player doesn't mean you will manage that player well, or makes you a good manager.coach.

Williams looked better when Cotts took over, and Flint has been far better this season than last, Cotts takes the credit for that in my eyes.

JET was our stand out player under SOD but still looks the same quality player under Cotts and Cotts has got him playing well, after he came back unfit in the summer and he had to wait for his chance. 

I'm not saying SOD couldn't spot a decent player, I actually think most people watching football can tell you good players and so on, but doesn't mean you could manage them and get the best from them.

The players were never the problem, as shown by Cotts when he came in, as bar 3/4 new faces, those who kept us up were much of the same team SOD had, but the fact is SOD was a dire manager.

Just because you can see something good in a player doesn't mean you will manage that player well, or makes you a good manager.coach.

Williams looked better when Cotts took over, and Flint has been far better this season than last, Cotts takes the credit for that in my eyes.

JET was our stand out player under SOD but still looks the same quality player under Cotts and Cotts has got him playing well, after he came back unfit in the summer and he had to wait for his chance. 

I'm not saying SOD couldn't spot a decent player, I actually think most people watching football can tell you good players and so on, but doesn't mean you could manage them and get the best from them.

The players were never the problem, as shown by Cotts when he came in, as bar 3/4 new faces, those who kept us up were much of the same team SOD had, but the fact is SOD was a dire manager.

Agree with what you're saying, but your initial point about SOD not having a valid opinion on a player is what I contested.

I totally agree that Cotterill has done a much better job man-managing and developing the players than SOD did in his time here.

He did lie to Dolly though

Archived