IGNORED

George Ferguson Caught Speeding [Merged]

Nick Wilde

I'm not a fan or opponent of the man... I don't live in Bristol... but surely we've all been done for this?

We might all say "you should obey the limits" - especially if you're in some sort of official "everything you say gets quoted" job - but how easy is it to accidentally shift up to 34?? I cut anyone slack on this sort of thing.

Does the Mayor really set speed limits in Bristol BTW? I'd imagine it was the highways dept of the City Council, but I stand to be corrected.

I'm not a fan or opponent of the man... I don't live in Bristol... but surely we've all been done for this?

We might all say "you should obey the limits" - especially if you're in some sort of official "everything you say gets quoted" job - but how easy is it to accidentally shift up to 34?? I cut anyone slack on this sort of thing.

Does the Mayor really set speed limits in Bristol BTW? I'd imagine it was the highways dept of the City Council, but I stand to be corrected.

Well done Mr D Advocat.

Whilst I have thrown stones situated in glass houses, I don't think my stone was ever as big or the roof so low. Also, costs for repair for any damages to glass houses coursed are duly paid and a growing process is undertaken. He's prepared to pay the fine "out of his own pocket" ha ha, hahaha stop it. How nobel, what a gent?

Not sure when the next vote is but think he's done a world of good in getting Bristolians of their apathetic arses and voting. So all grey clouds and that. And no, I didn't vote :(

Then be corrected, the twenty limits, which everyone ignores, police, busses, ambulances, fire brigade, are indeed the project of our incumbent megalomaniac

I'm certainly not a stickler for the speed limit by any stretch but in 12 years of driving I've never been caught doing it (caught being the operative word!)

It's all about awareness! If you know where the fixed cameras are and are aware of what's around you you shouldn't get caught by a mobile one. They're normally visible from range and other drivers normally try to make you aware.

Compared to everthing that came before him, George gets things done.

So, he got caught doing 35 in a 30 on the widest road in Bristol.

He's the best thing that happened to Bristol politics in a long time. But you'll only find that out when he's gone and you go back to the pre George time, when absolutely nothing happened in Bristol.

Quite right. But it's my understanding that GF has instigated the installation of the 20mph "restrictions", despite the fact that the official speed limit has not been changed. ie the enforceable limit in a 20mph is still 30mph +10%. With the exception of pre-authorised 20mph zones, such as outside schools, the 20mph limits are simply not recognised.

For the the official limit to be changed by the relevant authorities, a lot of research is required. For good reason I suppose. I mean there might be a situation where people are being run over in a 30mph limit because everyone is driving at 45mph. What good will 20mph signs do in that case? Surveys would show this and obviously the money would be better spent on traffic calming measures to keep the cars at 30mph?

That's why I think the safety argument is flawed. What other reason is there then??

He's the best thing that happened to Bristol politics in a long time. But you'll only find that out when he's gone and you go back to the pre George time, when absolutely nothing happened in Bristol.

I will refer you to my previous quote.

"If I am elected Mayor I will endeavour to help Bristol Sport achieve building a stadium at Ashton Vale. It's what this city needs".

Ref: RPZ. I lived in Bath before they had them, and often had to park up to half a mile from my flat as no spaces were available. When they brought them in, I could park outside my flat.

Generally, those opposed want to park outside someone else's house.

Agreed from experience these parking controls are good.

Even small towns and villages elsewhere in Hertfordshire have these - the only amazing thing is it has taken so long for Bristol to get them!

Just a quick timeline on the 20mph zones for reference.

May 2010 - Pilot scheme launched in Bedminster and some other areas

July 2012 - Bristol City Council decides pilot scheme was a success and votes in favour of a city wide rollout

November 2012 - George Ferguson elected and is in support of the policy

November 2014 - Council tries to stop the full rollout GF overrules them

I'm certainly not a stickler for the speed limit by any stretch but in 12 years of driving I've never been caught doing it (caught being the operative word!)

It's all about awareness! If you know where the fixed cameras are and are aware of what's around you you shouldn't get caught by a mobile one. They're normally visible from range and other drivers normally try to make you aware.

I've been done three times in my life, twice by mobile (and hidden - actually illegal) cameras, and once by a fixed one when I was dashing to my dad's deathbed.

The way the lazy traffic coppers go about things these days, it's very tough to avoid these aptly named "traps" - especially if you drive as much as I do.

But you don't need a brightly coloured "megalomaniac" though to plaster places in 20mph limits. The tweed-jacketed Tory "megalomaniacs" of Somerset Country Council have imposed hundreds.

And of course, everybody, including the police, ignore them.

Gets what done exactly?

All he's done so far is closed a bunch of city centre roads so some street performers could jump about and a slide could happen, pissed off thousands of us for charging us to park outside our own homes when we already pay council tax and have one of the highest costs of living outside of London, and introduced a blanket speed restriction which is not only unnecessary, but is not policed and not obeyed by the vast majority of people.

Please tell me what he has done other than that?

Most City fans have long memories, and will NEVER forgive him for all he tried to throw in the way of Ashton Vale, and rightly so.

Gets what done exactly?

All he's done so far is closed a bunch of city centre roads so some street performers could jump about and a slide could happen, pissed off thousands of us for charging us to park outside our own homes when we already pay council tax and have one of the highest costs of living outside of London, and introduced a blanket speed restriction which is not only unnecessary, but is not policed and not obeyed by the vast majority of people.

Most City fans have long memories, and will NEVER forgive him for all he tried to throw in the way of Ashton Vale, and rightly so.

But he engages with the people on Twitter. Unless you dare criticise him. Then you're blocked.

Gets what done exactly?

The problem with many of the major schemes is they will come to fruition after the next election. For example, in London Ken Livingston did the groundwork for Crossrail and the bike hire scheme whereas Boris gets the credit. Similarly the Olympics were won by the previous government yet the coalition were in power when they took place.

Bristol/GF specific, an arena (which he is supporting) won't be constructed until after the next election. IMHO it is too early to decide whether GF has been a positive or negative in terms of longterm legacy.

Gets what done exactly?

I hear you. Although as you say, because of AV you and most City fans will NEVER forgive him, do I take from that, that your determined to dislike every other idea that he comes up with? I would suggest that you're more enlightening than that. Hopefully.

RPZ schemes work, they mean you can park outside your house (see my post a few above)

The Arena, not built yet, but on its way

The Rapid bus thing, about to start building

You could add, North Street /Southville/ Ashton. Until he arrived, the place was dying, now it's one of the most desirable areas in Bristol.

Cycle lanes, pretty much a good thing.

20 mph, pretty good idea. Difficult to drive at, may need tweeking.

I take your point about Ashton Vale though Dolly, pi$$ed me off at the time, boycotted the Tob Fac for a long time like the rest. But I moved on. Nothing happened in Bristol for years, and you can included AV in that. One party would suggest something, the other would oppose it, they'd suggest something else, and that would get opposed. Something had to break the stalemate, and George although the enemy in red trousers on AV is more visionary that most.

There was always going to be a breaking eggs phase, a time when people not used or prepared for change don't see the benefits, because they haven't arrived yet. But being able to park outside your home is pretty important, getting around the city safely is too. Not having to travel to Cardiff or Birmingham to see a band isn't that important to me now, but it was when I was younger. Yeah, I struggle like everyone to find the right gear to drive at 20 miles an hour and it seems stupidly slow on occasions, but I'm more confident my kids won't get killed or injured getting around the city than they would before. Bristol has for years continually thrown the baby out with the bath water, and nothing's happened or improved here, whilst other cities have.

AV aside, things are beginning to come together and more forward. We just haven't seen the omelette yet.

One thing, the RPZ does not guarantee you a space outside your house, it just guarantees you can park where the permits say you can, which could mean anywhere in the road.  If someone else with a permit decides to park outside your house, or a visitor to another house buys a parking ticket to park there, they can do that.  They don't dish out numbered permits, so in areas of high occupancy like Clifton, people aren't guaranteed a space near their house, just the ability to park in that RPZ.

Gets what done exactly?

What did he do to slow down the Ashton Vale progress? Support the town green applications or something?

Archived