IGNORED

George Ferguson Caught Speeding [Merged]

Nick Wilde

What did he do to slow down the Ashton Vale progress? Support the town green applications or something?

Yes, he threw his toys out when the club wanted to sell Ashton Gate to Sainburys and not to him.  He wanted the AG site to develop it for his own gain, but Sainsburys were offering like treble the price, so the club went with Sainsburys.  He then threw all his weight behind those opposing the development of AV/TVG'ers.

I've never been so proud of SL (I was sat next to him at the time) when we were sat in the council house and the council had decided to press ahead with the TVG recommendation, thus ending the AV stadium plan, and red trousers came over all smug, wanting to shake SL's hand.  Steve point blank refused and told him to go away.  I think I told SL I loved him at that moment :D

Red trousers then changed his viewpoint when he ran for mayor as he realised he would be losing a lot of voters if he didn't support our club's plans to get ourselves a new stadium, although by then AV was dead in the water sadly.

Yes, he threw his toys out when the club wanted to sell Ashton Gate to Sainburys and not to him.  He wanted the AG site to develop it for his own gain, but Sainsburys were offering like treble the price, so the club went with Sainsburys.  He then threw all his weight behind those opposing the development of AV/TVG'ers.

I've never been so proud of SL (I was sat next to him at the time) when we were sat in the council house and the council had decided to press ahead with the TVG recommendation, thus ending the AV stadium plan, and red trousers came over all smug, wanting to shake SL's hand.  Steve point blank refused and told him to go away.  I think I told SL I loved him at that moment :D

Red trousers then changed his viewpoint when he ran for mayor as he realised he would be losing a lot of voters if he didn't support our club's plans to get ourselves a new stadium, although by then AV was dead in the water sadly.

A great read, thanks! Never knew that about SL, what a hero!

One thing, the RPZ does not guarantee you a space outside your house, it just guarantees you can park where the permits say you can, which could mean anywhere in the road. If someone else with a permit decides to park outside your house, or a visitor to another house buys a parking ticket to park there, they can do that. They don't dish out numbered permits, so in areas of high occupancy like Clifton, people aren't guaranteed a space near their house, just the ability to park in that RPZ.

No, it just means that your chances are a lot higher, because the bloke that used to park there for work can't park there now. Dolly, no one said it would be Christmas and Birthdays rolled into one. It's just birthdays.

I would concur that those who benefit most are those you have people parking outside their place whilst they go to work. It stops that immediately. They in turn, can't park anywhere else, so they cycle or walk. As such, there's less traffic on the road, so we may all be tempted to go faster. But we can't because the new speed limit is in force. Personally I'd much prefer to live in a place with less traffic, slower cars and more chance of getting around safely on foot or bike.

The downsides are the cost of the permit, I agree it's a lot. The biggest losers however, will be those who have been able to park for free outside our houses whilst they go to work, meaning that the likes of you and I can't find a place to park when we return from dropping the kids to school. These zones make living in a city a lot nicer for the residents, but it's not so nice for the non-residents or those residents who want to park where they don't live.

Rpz's are a stealth tax. Dollymarie is entirely right in what she says. There was no need for a blanket approach to them or the 20 mph zones. Only areas such as Redland had an urgent need for strategic RPZ's.

Plus it's so naive to think you can force people out of their cars. We live in an age where motorised transport is essential for a lot of people to earn a sustainable living - it is for me, since the public transport connections to Portishead are appalling. And it's also essential for my grandfather, who is a mobile healthcare assistant.

Lord Northski are you originally from Bristol? Because i dont know of one local person who genuinely thinks GF is doing a good job. You a friend of his? Have you seen all the notices in the shops windows up North street how pretty much every business doesnt want RPZ up there. Its not needed. 

I agree that North street was dying but i don't put it down to that clown of how its come back up. I think other local business's worked extremely hard to get to where they are now. As a local resident who has grown up in North Street and Ashton for the last 28 years i don't recognise it anymore it used to be a good hard working class people with names like Stan and Betty. Now when i walk along North Street within 30 people I hardly hear of a bristolian accent with all plums in there throat. I find this extremely sad as I think its losing its identity. And I think this is what's happening with City a bit as new fans from other areas of the country come to follow are club but don't get the history of our club.

As you might tell i am not his biggest fan and cant wait to see stoney get more votes then him next year.  

Lord Northski are you originally from Bristol? Because i dont know of one local person who genuinely thinks GF is doing a good job. You a friend of his? Have you seen all the notices in the shops windows up North street how pretty much every business doesnt want RPZ up there. Its not needed. 

I agree that North street was dying but i don't put it down to that clown of how its come back up. I think other local business's worked extremely hard to get to where they are now. As a local resident who has grown up in North Street and Ashton for the last 28 years i don't recognise it anymore it used to be a good hard working class people with names like Stan and Betty. Now when i walk along North Street within 30 people I hardly hear of a bristolian accent with all plums in there throat. I find this extremely sad as I think its losing its identity. And I think this is what's happening with City a bit as new fans from other areas of the country come to follow are club but don't get the history of our club.

As you might tell i am not his biggest fan and cant wait to see stoney get more votes then him next year.  

CD. I understand and can empathise with your general comment.

But. Please. I was there some 30 years ago. Betty?

Sorry, I think you are exaggerating somewhat.

No, it just means that your chances are a lot higher, because the bloke that used to park there for work can't park there now. Dolly, no one said it would be Christmas and Birthdays rolled into one. It's just birthdays.

I would concur that those who benefit most are those you have people parking outside their place whilst they go to work. It stops that immediately. They in turn, can't park anywhere else, so they cycle or walk. As such, there's less traffic on the road, so we may all be tempted to go faster. But we can't because the new speed limit is in force. Personally I'd much prefer to live in a place with less traffic, slower cars and more chance of getting around safely on foot or bike.

The downsides are the cost of the permit, I agree it's a lot. The biggest losers however, will be those who have been able to park for free outside our houses whilst they go to work, meaning that the likes of you and I can't find a place to park when we return from dropping the kids to school. These zones make living in a city a lot nicer for the residents, but it's not so nice for the non-residents or those residents who want to park where they don't live.

Shouldn't the kids be walking or cycling, particularly in our 'improved' environment?

SL for Mayor!!

CD. I understand and can empathise with your general comment.

But. Please. I was there some 30 years ago. Betty?

Sorry, I think you are exaggerating somewhat.

I lived in Lime Road for the first 21 years of my life, my mum worked part time in Wills' and her best friends at work, who lived in the same area were Betty and Joan. This was late 60's and late 70's. I think our next door neighbours had equally archaic names but as I was I well brought up boy I was only allowed to call them Mrs Fennel and Mrs Spires :)

Ref: RPZ. I lived in Bath before they had them, and often had to park up to half a mile from my flat as no spaces were available. When they brought them in, I could park outside my flat.

Generally, those opposed want to park outside someone else's house.

Unsure where you live in Bath, but i still have to park half a mile from my flat!

Did I read someone's comment right that the 20 zones are not enforceable and that the enforceable limit is 30+10% even in a 20 zone?

If that's the case what's the point of the 20 zone if it's optional?!

What I meant is that the police have said they don't have the resources to enforce it, so unless you get caught out by a mobile unit then as the speed cameras aren't switched on in Bristol, you will be very unlucky to get caught

Rpz's are a stealth tax. Dollymarie is entirely right in what she says. There was no need for a blanket approach to them or the 20 mph zones. Only areas such as Redland had an urgent need for strategic RPZ's.

Plus it's so naive to think you can force people out of their cars. We live in an age where motorised transport is essential for a lot of people to earn a sustainable living - it is for me, since the public transport connections to Portishead are appalling. And it's also essential for my grandfather, who is a mobile healthcare assistant.

In experience the vast majority of major population centres in the south of England (certainly around London) have residents parking zones and therefore agree it is required in Bristol. However, the charges do appear to be very high relative to areas around me (eg Watford, Hemel Hempstead, St Albans etc).

In terms of public transport it is a chicken and egg situation - there is no demand because the service is so poor but the service is poor because there is no demand. The RPZs may help to break this linkage by forcing people to use public trabsport and if GF can help drive through changes to public transport for the good (eg reopening the Portishead line) then even better.

Plus I am aware you need a car for your job however there are successful cities in the UK who rely on private cars much less than Bristol for example London, Manchester, Cambridge and Brighton.

Unsure where you live in Bath, but i still have to park half a mile from my flat!

Sorry to hear that. I lived right by the Assembly Rooms, back of the Circus (rented). This was 92/93 when they brought the RPZ in. 

Since then I only train it there, due to the difficulties in parking except for the odd park and ride trip. Which kinda proves my point about people finding alternatives. 

How much further would you have to walk without the RPZ though?

What part of this is fair play? 

The fact he is paying for his own crime?

Or the fact he is making a point to curry favour by declining a payrise?

Perhaps you'd rather politicians who accept these large pay rises and pay for all their fines and penalties via expenses?

I don't like the bloke, just saying he could have took the easy route.

R.E. payrise, Is it an attempt to curry favour? Obviously. But he declines it and that's wrong, accepts it and that's also wrong; no pleasing people when you're the Mayor.

How does an RPZ help residents in Ashton? I doubt anyone who commutes to Bristol will park in Ashton and walk or bus to centre. It will just stop people using the shops and Ashton park and bugger up the parking for the footie and balloon festival. And the footie ground was there a long time before most of the residents.

As to using expenses to pay for fines all companies I have ever worked for say they won't pay and it's down to the individual. It's probably same for council or if it isn't then that's one thing "as mayor" he should sort out. Also he should be barred from using council vehicles as he has obviously abused council property.

Allegedly he fought to shop Sainsburys going to Ashton Gate and doesn't appear to have helped City one bit with Ashton Vale. In face to face discussions he just walks away rather than listening to reason.

I don't trust the guy or his bike!.

How does an RPZ help residents in Ashton? I doubt anyone who commutes to Bristol will park in Ashton and walk or bus to centre. It will just stop people using the shops and Ashton park and bugger up the parking for the footie and balloon festival. And the footie ground was there a long time before most of the residents.

As to using expenses to pay for fines all companies I have ever worked for say they won't pay and it's down to the individual. It's probably same for council or if it isn't then that's one thing "as mayor" he should sort out. Also he should be barred from using council vehicles as he has obviously abused council property.

Allegedly he fought to shop Sainsburys going to Ashton Gate and doesn't appear to have helped City one bit with Ashton Vale. In face to face discussions he just walks away rather than listening to reason.

I don't trust the guy or his bike!.

He opposed (pre-mayoralty) a new supermarket being built in AG and wanted an affordable housing scheme instead - in which he would've had a financial interest.

When it became clear the reality was Sainsburys and it was effectively a store relocation rather than an extra supermarket in South Bristol, his objections dried up and he was a wholehearted supporter of the AV scheme - as were the council and local MP.

It was the utterly wrongheaded TVG legislation that scuppered the plan, not some red-trousered architect. That and the courts' bizarre decisions, a biased inspector and the club's own lack of foresight and preparation.

Ferguson may have slightly hampered the early stages of the project, but given Sainsburys keenness to pull out of deals and undertake no new builds, I wonder how much having to go with "plan B" will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

How does an RPZ help residents in Ashton? I doubt anyone who commutes to Bristol will park in Ashton and walk or bus to centre. It will just stop people using the shops and Ashton park and bugger up the parking for the footie and balloon festival. And the footie ground was there a long time before most of the residents.

I commute from that lovely fishing hamlet of Pill and park in Ashton everyday and walk into work in the centre. Reason being I've given up trying to park in the centre due to various factors.

RPZ is coming to Ashton, like it or not. Luckily I have family in Ashton who's garage/drives I can use, but they've all had their letters in the post saying it will happen in due course.

Archived