IGNORED

So How Many Points For Automatic Promotion?

MC RISK77

Any statisticians out there who know the average points to go up from this league...I though 85 would normally be a good benchmark which means we need 7 wins from last 15 games which sounds very possible ?

93-96 to win it more years than not - 103 top last year

88-92 to get promotion most years - 94 last year.

The most important data point is what the third place team gets, if you get 1 more you are promoted. Third was 86 points last year, 79 the year before and then 90, 87, and 85.

In theory 90 does it but this year if it stays a three horse race I'd bet on 93-94 to be sure of second.

Both Swindle and MKD are averaging 1.9 points per game, unless both improve on that average over the last third of the season 88 will be enough.

That means 24 points from 16 games.

We've got 7 games at home and all 4 bottom clubs away. Eight wins from those 11 games should see us over the line.

The other 5 games are all tricky up north away games. Donny, Chesterfield, Oldham, Bradford and PNE.

I am in the '9 more wins' camp. That gives us 91 points. Time will tell I suppose, but every win now really takes the pressure off sales of that squeaky bum cream in April.

We are two weeks in to six weeks of two games a week. Two mini seasons now of eight games before the JPT, and eight after. Five out of the next six away, included within that the bottom three. Nothing is easy, but think we need a minimum of 5 wins from those eight, or equivalent. No reason why we cannot do that.

We are averaging over 2 points a game. Maintain that average and we have 32 points coming our way - that puts us on 96 points. I think that would get us promoted automatically.

I am in the '9 more wins' camp. That gives us 91 points. Time will tell I suppose, but every win now really takes the pressure off sales of that squeaky bum cream in April.

We are two weeks in to six weeks of two games a week. Two mini seasons now of eight games before the JPT, and eight after. Five out of the next six away, included within that the bottom three. Nothing is easy, but think we need a minimum of 5 wins from those eight, or equivalent. No reason why we cannot do that.

9 wins will do but there will be a couple of draws too, so 8 wins is really do-able from 20 games left. Also allowing for a drop in form with a less that 1.5 points per match ratio, currently we are well over 2 points per game. 

It's for us to throw it away....

What is interesting about the eight games we have before and after the JPT to me is this:

Of the eight we have before, we got 5W, 2D 1L against first time round. 17 points (the lose being Crewe!)

Of those after, we managed 3W, 3D, 2L, a rather skinnier 12 points - including currently 4th, 7th, 8th and 9th all away, and Swindon at home.

Basically, if we can, lets fill our boots in the next 8 games, and take some pressure off April!

Was also going to say tactically, I think the club have decided to get as many games in as they can now, to give more space in April, which looks tougher, when hopefully the other sides are getting knackered! Other than Easter, we only have one mid week game - hopefully against a Bradford a few days away from a FA cup semi!

Of course thanks for that, I will therefore say are we gonna lose FIVE? ;)  

We could...it then depends what happens in the others! I think in hindsight Cotts got in wrong on Saturday...BUT...the one thing we have kept away from pretty much for some time is draws. Other than MK, Cotts seems happy to roll the dice and go for a win, even if we end up losing on the day. He would take 6 wins and 2 defeats in the next eight I am sure.

Nicked from the Sheff Utd forum, for what it is worth...can see why they produced it!

Matches left to play for top 6 against each other

Doncaster
24 Feb Bristol City Home
3 March PNE Away
17 March Swindon Home
28 March MK Dons Away
7 April Blades Away

Blades
7 April Doncaster Home

PNE
3 March Doncaster Home
7 March MK Dons Away
11 April Bristol City Home
25 April Swindon Home

Swindon
17 March Doncaster Away
3 April MK Dons Home
6 April Bristol City Away
25 April PNE Away

MK DONS
7 March PNE Home
28 March Doncaster Home
3 April Swindon Away

Bristol City
24 Feb Doncaster Away
6 April Swindon Home
11 April PNE Away

Nicked from the Sheff Utd forum, for what it is worth...can see why they produced it!

Doncaster

24 Feb Bristol City Home

3 March PNE Away

17 March Swindon Home

28 March MK Dons Away

7 April Blades Away

Blades

7 April Doncaster Home

PNE

3 March Doncaster Home

7 March MK Dons Away

25 April Swindon Home

Swindon

17 March Doncaster Away

3 April MK Dons Home

25 April PNE Away

MK DONS

7 March PNE Home

28 March Doncaster Home

3 April Swindon Away

Bristol City

24 Feb Doncaster Away

6 April Swindon Home

11 April PNE Away

that week in April will confirm us as Champions

Doncaster

24 Feb Bristol City Home

3 March PNE Away

17 March Swindon Home

28 March MK Dons Away

7 April Blades Away

Blades

7 April Doncaster Home

PNE

3 March Doncaster Home

7 March MK Dons Away

25 April Swindon Home

Swindon

17 March Doncaster Away

3 April MK Dons Home

25 April PNE Away

MK DONS

7 March PNE Home

28 March Doncaster Home

3 April Swindon Away

Bristol City

24 Feb Doncaster Away

6 April Swindon Home

11 April PNE Away

Easter weekend is a massive period for the top three.

Swindon against MK whilst we are away at Oldham on Good Friday followed by us against Swindon on the Monday.

Our record at the moment (19-7-4 56-26) is almost identical to that of Wolves at this point last year (19-7-4 50-20), and they went on to win the league. They, however, were 3rd at this point, 2 points behind Brentford and level on points with Orient, who were in a false position due to having played 2 games more.

Over the remaining games, Wolves went 12-3-1 and finished on 103 points, whilst Brentford *only* managed 9-3-4 and finished on 94 points. Orient went 6-4-4 and reached 86.

Crudely extrapolating our form to date sees us go 10-4-2 over the remaining games, giving a total of 98 points which should definitely be good enough for top 2 but may not win the league, depending on the form of others (performing the same extrapolation with them would suggest it would be, though).

Personally, I reckon 16 more wins should be enough to do it.

Archived