IGNORED

Chelsea Fans In Paris - Disgrace

CiderHider

This is the response people generally use an I understand it.

To keep bringing it up almost perpetuates racism, no?

The last time the East End sang 'curry songs' (the exact lyric and tune of which I have actually forgotten - fairly sure it wasn't 'poppadom' though!), was because that was the apparent target for a bit of banter/piss taking (read: engagement with fans of the opposition for the purpose of a vociferous 'atmosphere' ).

It was Dave L, not the Leicester fans, who made the issue of it and that was my point.  Much like flag gate - no fascism/racism - just an over reaction from the ignorant.

Hope the authorities take seriously the issue of racism but hope that they don't continue to misguide their efforts on the innocent.

I would have thought it is more excusing the more racist element of terrace 'banter' is more likely to perpetuate racism.

I only brought it up in response to your question, otherwise it wouldn't have been perpetuated at all.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few impressionable young people joining in with those chants and some of those won't understand that it's not an attitude to take into everyday life with them. Of course the Leicester fans wouldn't have made an issue of it,they are probably more than 98-99% white because most of the asian community in Leicester won't be going to the football, partly because they aren't comfortable with the chanting going on.

On the other hand, absolutely nobody is going to be discouraged from going to watch us because people are calling us yokels or accusing us of being welsh, they are two completely different things. If you think calling the opposition fans asian because of where they come from is taking the piss, then you are by implication saying that being asian is something worthy of having the piss taken for, I just don't understand how you think that is acceptable? The welsh thing we get is down to geography, the asian thing is down to racism.

For the record, I also believe the gay jokes every time Brighton are mentioned are homophobic for very similar reasons.

I am not personally offended by either, nor do I expect anybody to be specifically offended, mainly because I wouldn't expect the root of the piss taking to be directly targeted, but I am embarrassed at both of them because I am a Bristol City fan and know that people will be tarring me with the same brush as the people joining in these chants and presuming that these are views held by myself as well as the idiots involved.

The fact it made a paper anywhere is a darn sight more coverage than most cases of racism receive, I know you are suggesting it's being swept under the carpet but I would say just the opposite.

The only fact the Chelsea fans incident is receiving over the top coverage is because it's football related

The fact it made a paper anywhere is a darn sight more coverage than most cases of racism receive, I know you are suggesting it's being swept under the carpet but I would say just the opposite.

The only fact the Chelsea fans incident is receiving over the top coverage is because it's football related

Correct, slow news day, storm in a tea cup, what they did was wrong but

Can't believe this is getting more coverage than 15 and 16 year old girls being getting a flight to Syria....

Correct, slow news day, storm in a tea cup, what they did was wrong but

Can't believe this is getting more coverage than 15 and 16 year old girls being getting a flight to Syria....

It's getting more coverage than Pakistani gangs grooming teenage girls for sex whilst Labour run councils and police turn a blind eye.

I don't think this story was meant to hit the big time, but it was reported locally, then people started talking about it on social media channels, then it went to national - I think ... that's how I saw it flowing through the ether.

The point is racism against white people is a massive problem and it's very under-reported, and people get accused of being racist if they touch it.  Thinking about it ... I get the feeling that a large section of society loathe English culture and by extension football supporters, so yeah, any opportunity to batter football fans is gratefully seized on.  As for white single mothers, there just as bad as football hooligans aren't they?

I can imagine that racism against white people is more of a problem in some areas than racism BY white people, but I doubt it's any more reported than any racist incident in general.

The fact that some people of any race can be racist is not exactly surprising but neither does it mean that we should be siezing on every case we can find of asians or black people being racist and start using it as a stick to beat them with. They are as english as you or me now, and the fact that the country is changing in demographic and culture because of it should be embraced rather than trying desperately trying to keep 'England for the English'. Things never stay the same, traditions that have existed for centuries will continue to exist, but there will be new things going on as well, all they do is add to the colour and vibrancy of the country, not detract from it.

The fact is that the vast majority of racist incidents receive no media coverage whatsoever, and probably don't even get reported to the police by the victims.

My point is that some chanting at football is inherently racist and should be condemned, not passed off as 'banter'

I posted that pic to compare the impact of the two situations as an example of the imbalance of reporting of racism:

- a single white mother of two young kids is driven out of her new home within days of moving there by a campaign of violent aggressive anti-white racism with a sub-text of 'this area is for black people so bugger off you white trash'. This was not some spur of the moment abuse, it was a campaign, she was ganged-up on by people of a different colour. The story doesn't even make the main news without a ground-swell of interest.

- a bunch of English football fans dish-out what, a 20 second push and shove and racial abuse, and it gets blasted around the world, the police are called in, and all hell breaks loose. 

This is the country we live in now.  It's not right.

Not the country per se, more the media and what sells news, football sells, social context doesn't unfortunately. I agree with you that it's not right.

Your comments about culture and race etc are a bit off topic but I am more than happy to debate with you because I think it's right, natural and good to defend one's culture and people.   :englandflag:

That's one for the non-football forum methinks, and it is indeed an interesting debate, I think when the election comes it'll be down to UKIP or not on that one. We're both on different sides of the divide, and I think we'll probably stay that way regardless.

I would have thought it is more excusing the more racist element of terrace 'banter' is more likely to perpetuate racism.

I only brought it up in response to your question, otherwise it wouldn't have been perpetuated at all.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few impressionable young people joining in with those chants and some of those won't understand that it's not an attitude to take into everyday life with them. Of course the Leicester fans wouldn't have made an issue of it,they are probably more than 98-99% white because most of the asian community in Leicester won't be going to the football, partly because they aren't comfortable with the chanting going on.

On the other hand, absolutely nobody is going to be discouraged from going to watch us because people are calling us yokels or accusing us of being welsh, they are two completely different things. If you think calling the opposition fans asian because of where they come from is taking the piss, then you are by implication saying that being asian is something worthy of having the piss taken for, I just don't understand how you think that is acceptable? The welsh thing we get is down to geography, the asian thing is down to racism.

For the record, I also believe the gay jokes every time Brighton are mentioned are homophobic for very similar reasons.

I am not personally offended by either, nor do I expect anybody to be specifically offended, mainly because I wouldn't expect the root of the piss taking to be directly targeted, but I am embarrassed at both of them because I am a Bristol City fan and know that people will be tarring me with the same brush as the people joining in these chants and presuming that these are views held by myself as well as the idiots involved.

My point is that in the six years of the East End re-opening I heard, saw or interpreted no racism what's so ever.  I'm not so sheltered that I wouldn't have known if there was an undercurrent of it.  One of the lads chanting, who was prominently posting on here at the time, was bloody Asian!

The only time the issue of racism was ever raised was then, by an ignoramus.   

Over on the site of the uncouth, where a very liberal policy is implemented: racism is a big **** off no no. 

This will have effects all over the country, in many different ways.

5 ignorant, cowardly, thick as pig shit Chelsea fans racially abuse someone and the rest of the supporting country suffers.

For example, now all chelsea fans are all 'racist scum'. Adrian Durham of TalkSport is getting black supporters to ring in pushing and pushing until he can find an unknown example of racism inside Stamford Bridge, whether true or not, to kick off about.

Football fans reputation is tarnished thanks to 5 or 6 *******, and the authorities will become even more tighter in what is acceptable and what isn't because of the media storm that has occurred after this incident, they will be worried that their club will get that sort of negative publicity and try and stamp out chants that aren't intended to cause serious offence, such as the ones you are reffering to against Leicester, which by the way I agree is NOTHING like this incident.

It affects the whole football league ladder and football fans reputation just because of some deluded set of thick *****.

I think it's a good opportunity for society to sort its knickers out about what is serious and what is innocent.  Re-set the mind-set/cut through the bullshit.

The Chelsea fans on their forum are pissed off that this has further tarnished the clubs reputation and how the media need no invitation to have a go.  Chelsea fan I know, a season ticket holder, would be appalled by it I reckon.

Understandable concern about a minority of idiots does not give the powers that be legitimacy to make sweeping judgements, which is what is happening and what Dave L, the fans liaison officer, did. 

My point is that in the six years of the East End re-opening I heard, saw or interpreted no racism what's so ever.  I'm not so sheltered that I wouldn't have known if there was an undercurrent of it.  One of the lads chanting, who was prominently posting on here at the time, was bloody Asian!

The only time the issue of racism was ever raised was then, by an ignoramus.   

Over on the site of the uncouth, where a very liberal policy is implemented: racism is a big **** off no no. 

The East End were not accused en masse of being racists, they were accused of racist chanting, a charge that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The fact that people joined in does not make those people racists, it does make them ignorant though.

How can Chelsea ban any of them,video doesn't show anybody singing it,lawyers field day that is

I believe Lawyers have nothing to do with it. Its chelsea who has banned them not the courts.

Surely they have the right to refuse entry to anyone they want much like a bar or nightclub.

Personally I think it shows how far we have come in this country that the vast majority are (rightfully) outraged.

Good job West Ham are noted for having no racist supporters....

*ROFL whilst looking at a picture of Alf Garnett*

There was a lot of anti-Semitic chanting at the game vs Spurs yesterday and this was caught on video too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/west-ham-chants-aimed-at-tottenham-fans-labelled-vile-by-spurs-kick-it-out-contact-police-over-antisemitic-video-footage-10064286.html

How come the outrage that was labelled at Chelsea's fans is not extended to this??

Archived