IGNORED

Final Top 5?....

Negan

As it stands at the moment, I think it's pretty obvious the top 5 will be the same teams come the end of the season. Who finishes in what position though is anybody's guess! I've looked at everyones fixtures and come up with the following.... (I haven't a clue who will get the final play off position. To many teams to chose from, Think it will probably be between Doncaster, Oldham and Peterborough)

Bristol City

A Colchester 3
A Doncaster 0
H Rochdale 3
A Leyton Orient 3
A Crawley 1
A Yeovil 3
H Gillingham 3
H Crewe 3
H Barnsley 3
A Oldham 1
H Swindon 3
A Preston 0
A Bradford 1
H Coventry 3
A Chesterfield 1
H Walsall 3

34 Points

MK Dons

H Peterborough 1
A Coventry 3
H Chesterfield 3
H Preston 0
A Walsall 3
A Oldham 1
H Notts County 3
H Doncaster 3
A Swindon 1
H S****horpe 3
A Port Vale 3
A Fleetwood 1
H Orient 3
A Rochdale 0
H Yeovil 3

31 Points

Swindon

H Crawley 3
H Bradford 0
A Crewe 3
H Gillingham 1
H Notts County 3
A Port Vale 3
A Doncaster 0
A Colchester 3
H MK Dons 1
A Bristol City 0
H Peterborough 3
A Yeovil 3
H Walsall 3
A Preston 0
H Leyton Orient 3

29 Points

Preston

H S****horpe 3
H Walsall 1
A Oldham 0
H Doncaster 1
A MK Dons 3
H Crewe 3
H Peterborough 3
A Barnsley 0
A Fleetwood 1
H Rochdale 3
A Bradford 0
H Bristol City 3
H Gillingham 3
A Port Vale 1
H Swindon 3
A Colchester 1

29 Points

Sheffield United

H Coventry 3
A Rochdale 0
A Crawley 3
H Peterborough 3
H Fleetwood 1
A S****horpe 1
A Walsall 3
H Port vale 3
H S****horpe 3
H Crewe 3
A Barnsley 1
H Doncaster 1
A Oldham 3
A Yeovil 3
H Bradford 0
A Leyton Orient 3
H Chesterfield 3

37 Points

So would leave the final table looking a little like this...

1. Bristol City W 29  D 11  L 6  P 98
2. MK Dons W 26  D 12  L 8  P 90
3. Swindon W 26  D 8  L 11  P 86
4. Sheff Utd W 25  D 10  L 11  P 85
5. Preston W 23  D 13  L 9  P 82
6. ????????

Thoughts?................

I bet you that within 2 games time, there will be variance to those predicted results and it will all be irrelevant.

All we know is that we are in a great position now and we probably need another 8-9 wins from our remaining 16 games. Could still be more than that if we lose the Swindon game.

I agree with Red White and Red. There are far too many improbables that can't be predicted - e g Elliot being sent off in the second minute against Swindon; losing to Crewe; poor refereeing decisions; injuries etc. (but it will be fun to see how accurate your predictions are)

Looking at your graph you seem to think all of us will lose to Donny and Bradford, therefore it might be worth you doing finishing points for them !

Personally think Sheff Utd will get 45 pts from now.

Preston 36 (I think you have discounted them unfairly in many games to get your points prediction, they are the in form team)

Swindon I have 28 (I think they will be the team to really drop away)

MK Dons also 28 points for me

I also think we'll only amass 28-30 points Theres one game I think we could lose but may draw.

For me I see Sheff Utd & Preston the bigger dangers than MK Dons and Swindon as I think we'll get the same sort of finishing returns as them, so our gap will be maintained, however it's the fixtures for Sheff Utd and Preston which I can see them getting a lot more points than us and those two could be the bigger dangers.Getting at least 12 points from the next 5 games will be crucial to maintain the pressure on other teams. Last nights win was a massive win.

Sheff Utd have 17 more games, and looking at their fixtures I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 14/15 of them.

That would certainly be some going. Their problem all season has been consistency.

If they win their next 5 games, then I might start to think you are right.

They will do very well to get 35-40 points more.

That would certainly be some going. Their problem all season has been consistency.

If they win their next 5 games, then I might start to think you are right.

They will do very well to get 35-40 points more.

Signed 5 players did Sheff U in January. Strengthened well and now no FA Cup as a distraction.

We are basically 14 pts ahead of them given GD if they win their game in hand.

I don't see them toppling us but their run-in looks very favourable and I reckon they could well get 40 pts.

Signed 5 players did Sheff U in January. Strengthened well and now no FA Cup as a distraction.

We are basically 14 pts ahead of them given GD if they win their game in hand.

I don't see them toppling us but their run-in looks very favourable and I reckon they could well get 40 pts.

The loss to them was major. I think if we'd drawn or even won we would be far enough ahead to not even be having this discission.

This is just a guess games. I know that it will probably be nothing like what I've predicted and there will be twist and turns yet, I am certain that the top 5 as it stands will make up the top 5 come May, which I think everyone does. Starting to believe now though that we can win this league.

Looking at your graph you seem to think all of us will lose to Donny and Bradford, therefore it might be worth you doing finishing points for them !

Preston 36 (I think you have discounted them unfairly in many games to get your points prediction, they are the in form team)

I also think we'll only amass 28-30 points Theres one game I think we could lose but may draw.

For me I see Sheff Utd & Preston the bigger dangers than MK Dons and Swindon as I think we'll get the same sort of finishing returns as them, so our gap will be maintained, however it's the fixtures for Sheff Utd and Preston which I can see them getting a lot more points than us and those two could be the bigger dangers.Getting at least 12 points from the next 5 games will be crucial to maintain the pressure on other teams. Last nights win was a massive win.

Sheff Utd to drop just 6 points out of a possible 51, in this league? No chance.

No they're not, not even close.

• Admin

Wolves did very similar last season.

Last 21 games:

Won 17 drew 3 lost 1 = 54 pts / 63 pts (9 pts dropped)

But Wolves did it all season, nothing to suggest this season Sheff Utd will do this - assume the theory is based on their good run in last season?

But Wolves did it all season, nothing to suggest this season Sheff Utd will do this - assume the theory is based on their good run in last season?

They did it last season didn't they? There were down with us in jan and only just missed out on the play-offs in the end

Swindon should be worried about them imo

They are 12th in the form table over the last 6 games, or 9th over the past 10. So in fact their form has got worse recently. 

I'm taking nothing for granted I've supported city for far too long

It's great at the moment but until we are confirmed promotion I'm just going to enjoy it and not get carried away

Unfortunately, this is the right answer Monkeh.

In the past, if clutching defeat from the jaws of victory was an Olympic event, we would be gold medalists. This season under SC I am more confident than  in the past that we will not blow up. However, as the winning post comes ever closer it is possible we could go onto the back foot and start drawing games we would expect to win, and teams playing catch up have a nasty habit of going on winning runs and the gap can close very quickly.

Ultimately it is  in our own hands and if they can maintain performance then fingers crossed. Having said that the poster offering bum oil might want to put in  a bulk order at Costco as I can see buttocks being clenched very tight before the season Is over.

Last 3/4 games they've looked very good. I think Preston or Sheff Utd will get automatic. I don't think MKD or Swindon will. 

Having Garner back certainly helps. But beating a 10 man (for pretty much the whole 90 mins) Chesterfield and Coventry 1-0 isn't that impressive, especially considering our own form (not necessarily playing wise but results wise). 

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised to see them kick on from here and start putting serious pressure on the top 3. 

Last 3/4 games they've looked very good. I think Preston or Sheff Utd will get automatic. I don't think MKD or Swindon will. 

Last 4 games include a defeat to Crawley and a home draw v Yeovil. (Both in the bottom 3)

But if that's the sort of form you think we should be scared of, you carry on. I'll continue to believe that the only side in this division to average 2 points per game, can deal with the threats of up and downers like Preston and Sheffield United.

Sheff Utd have 17 more games, and looking at their fixtures I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 14/15 of them.

15 wins from 17 games would be amazing (2.65 points per game). Though it might look possible on paper it would need a level of consistency no team in the league has shown this season. The best team, City, is only averaging 2.13 points per game.

I think people are forgetting that playing teams who are scrapping for safety at the end of the season is dangerous. 02/03 an example, Chesterfield 2-0 City. Them teams will be battling for every point come the end, I can see Sheffield Utd winning majority but they will lose a few too!

Then you have at least 7 teams who feel they can sneak 6th place who will also be firing on all cylinders.

All to play for this season and dont for one moment think any of the others have an easier run-in.

Last 8 games form

City - 19 points (2.4 per game)

Sheff U 15 points (1.9 per game)

MK - 14 points (1.8 per game)

Swindon 13 points (1.6 per game)

Preston 12 points (1.5 per game)

If you pro rata this out you would get

City  -102 points

MK - 86 points

Swindon - 83 points

Sheff U - 80 points

Preston - 79 points

Based on this City could afford a few slip ups and still win the league comfortably.  Even if Sheff U matched our season average of 2.1 points, they would still finish a couple of points shy of MK.

Archived