IGNORED

2022 - Chaos!

BS4 on Tour...

In spite of the fact that FIFA is hugely corrupt, I don't think English football can get on it's high horse about this.  I wonder how many of our overpaid players, managers, pundits ex-players etc have homes in Qatar or other middle eastern states that were built by bonded labour.  

I really hope UEFA stands up to them, but realistically can't see any teams 'boycotting' the WC let alone creating their own version of said cup (although I wish they would, England leading the charge).

F1 teams threatened a similar thing for years, yet here we are today, no change.....

It would be far better if football fans across the world would take the lead and say they will boycott both tournaments. By doing this it could encourage their national teams football authorities to pull out of these tournaments. This would be a big slap in the face for fifa. I for one will definitely boycott both tournaments.

Are we all up for a boycott then?

In spite of the fact that FIFA is hugely corrupt, I don't think English football can get on it's high horse about this.  I wonder how many of our overpaid players, managers, pundits ex-players etc have homes in Qatar or other middle eastern states that were built by bonded labour.  

A fundamental difference being, however, that any of those which have bought said houses are or were probably ignorant as to bonded labour.

Even if they did, it is hard (actually I would say impossible) to be a conscientous purchaser in this day and age.

What will happen to promotion and relegation.

If bottom divisions play on aren't they going to finish months before other leagues.

If your promoted you get 2 to 3 months rest, whilst other divisions will just play straight into following season without being able to release players if relegated or replace them.

When do euro 2024 qualifiers take place if domestic leagues are crammed so full of fixtures?

Just can't see how the fixtures can be done fairly, if tournament starts 23rd November guess that means clubs will release players 1 November, only way around it i can see is to have season before and after running straight through summer to catch up games.

The big clubs in Europe won't like that for bang goes there pre season money making trips.

What will happen to promotion and relegation.

If bottom divisions play on aren't they going to finish months before other leagues.

If your promoted you get 2 to 3 months rest, whilst other divisions will just play straight into following season without being able to release players if relegated or replace them.

When do euro 2024 qualifiers take place if domestic leagues are crammed so full of fixtures?

Just can't see how the fixtures can be done fairly, if tournament starts 23rd November guess that means clubs will release players 1 November, only way around it i can see is to have season before and after running straight through summer to catch up games.

The big clubs in Europe won't like that for bang goes there pre season money making trips.

Yep, in reality this decsion will likely impact upon the top leagues in europe for 3 seasons. Unless, as you suggest they just play through it but I can't see the Prem agreeing to play games without its big stars.

Just heard Scudamore on the radio saying the Prem's objection to staying the tournament in the winter was all about integrity and not compensation...the English league has been running this way since 1888 blah blah has this man no shame?! Of course it's all about money you greedy ****!

Not sure what all the fuss is really.  As soon as Qatar were awarded the tournament, this was ALWAYS going to be a winter finals.

Yes, we can all give 100 reasons why Qatar shouldn't have been awarded the finals in the first place, but this has been inevitable for 4 years.  The Premier League should have already had a plan for this event.

I think the best comment I've seen written is that the Premier League teams have been increasingly happy to accept the cash from the Middle East, but nooooooo way should they actually host a finals!!!!!!  What hypocrisy.  Money talks, simples.  And every Premier League representative should be fully aware of that fact!

Anyway, my immediate thought on this today was that at least this gives England a slightly better chance of winning the thing.  We always blame tired legs at the end of a long hard season.  Well, now it'll be in November, when a lot of our players are still fresh and just entering peak form for the season.  We'll still fall short of course, but our chances should be improved by this decision.

Not sure what all the fuss is really. As soon as Qatar were awarded the tournament, this was ALWAYS going to be a winter finals.

Yes, we can all give 100 reasons why Qatar shouldn't have been awarded the finals in the first place, but this has been inevitable for 4 years. The Premier League should have already had a plan for this event.

I think the best comment I've seen written is that the Premier League teams have been increasingly happy to accept the cash from the Middle East, but nooooooo way should they actually host a finals!!!!!! What hypocrisy. Money talks, simples. And every Premier League representative should be fully aware of that fact!

Anyway, my immediate thought on this today was that at least this gives England a slightly better chance of winning the thing. We always blame tired legs at the end of a long hard season. Well, now it'll be in November, when a lot of our players are still fresh and just entering peak form for the season. We'll still fall short of course, but our chances should be improved by this decision.

I'm not sure the players will be that fresh for guessing there will be no summer break before the 2022-2023 season to get all the domestic fixtures in.

I'm not sure the players will be that fresh for guessing there will be no summer break before the 2022-2023 season to get all the domestic fixtures in.

They'll probably start a couple of weeks early and finish a couple of weeks late, whilst the remaining fixtures will be fitted in during midweeks and a couple less international breaks during the season.

People seem to think they'll have to play from July 2021 through to June 2023 without a break - nonsense.

For example, this season, between Nov 2nd (a realistic break-date giving 3 weeks training camp) and Dec 23rd (the suggested end date) Chelsea played 7 league games.

All it takes for those games to be re-scheduled is start the season at the beginning of August as opposed to the 2nd week of Aug, and end the season 2 weeks later than usual.  Simples.

I can't see any of the major European nations pulling out. I don't include England as a major nation, because in Football terms we're just also rans.

Italy, France, Spain and Germany don't have the same issues with Fifa that the English speaking nations seem to have.

I suspect Germany, Spain & Italy might well do...Germany in particular, they have a midwinter break at Christmas, and quite a few other Central & Eastern European nations do the same. Its usually Xmas time...due to the more extreme wather there, and as planned it will be at the end of the Russian season....the top European teams will have issues with it....the lower leagues will have to carry on, but the big teams wont like it...Europa & Champions League would be majorly disrupted too...

They'll probably start a couple of weeks early and finish a couple of weeks late, whilst the remaining fixtures will be fitted in during midweeks and a couple less international breaks during the season.

People seem to think they'll have to play from July 2021 through to June 2023 without a break - nonsense.

For example, this season, between Nov 2nd (a realistic break-date giving 3 weeks training camp) and Dec 23rd (the suggested end date) Chelsea played 7 league games.

All it takes for those games to be re-scheduled is start the season at the beginning of August as opposed to the 2nd week of Aug, and end the season 2 weeks later than usual. Simples.

7 league games and 3 champion league games plus 2 capital one.

That's 12 fixtures to rearrange minimum, not so easy to rearrange especailly as there will be euro 2024 qualifiers to fit in as well.

7 league games and 3 champion league games plus 2 capital one.

That's 12 fixtures to rearrange minimum, not so easy to rearrange especailly as there will be euro 2024 qualifiers to fit in as well.

League Cup 4th round can easily be slotted in somewhere (Prem clubs don't play full teams anyway).

I agree that the Champs League will need some tinkering.  Perhaps UEFA will rethink their ludicrously painful extended format and just get down to the knock-out sooner!

Alls I'm saying is that they'll only need 2 weeks before and 2 weeks at the end of the season.  It's not like they won't have a decent enough break in the summer of 2022 or the summer of 2023.

In seven years time the jihadists who the Qataris have allowed to establish residency could have the Emir and his extended family all hanging from lamp-posts. In which case it really will be game over - before it begins.

I shouldn't worry.  By that time the US and it's allies will have blown **** out of the whole Middle East and raped it's assets.  It'll be fine!!!!

I'm confident it will all be slotted in somehow, just don't think there will be much break for 3 seasons anywhere.

Biggest problem will be promotion relegation issues, if lower leagues finish earlier than top divisions.

Be hard to plan and recruit players if other leagues are still playing fixtures. Instead of winning the playoffs and having 2 months to plan could be down to a few weeks.

I personally think the Aussies will appeal this decision anyway and could well be a revote, due to changing the rules regards bids and tv companies are going to be looking for compensation for loss of fixtures etc.

I'm confident it will all be slotted in somehow, just don't think there will be much break for 3 seasons anywhere.

Biggest problem will be promotion relegation issues, if lower leagues finish earlier than top divisions.

Be hard to plan and recruit players if other leagues are still playing fixtures. Instead of winning the playoffs and having 2 months to plan could be down to a few weeks.

I personally think the Aussies will appeal this decision anyway and could well be a revote, due to changing the rules regards bids and tv companies are going to be looking for compensation for loss of fixtures etc.

If we were living in the real world, I am inclined to agree that Australia would have a very strong case:  but, with FIFA operating by their own rules, and taking into account the serious consideration FIFA gave the review of, and report on, the bid process, who can Australia realistically appeal to?

It won't go to a re-vote.  Qatar can stand up in court and say they legitimately bid to host a World Cup in 2022.  Surely anyone with any sense would understand that this could not be played in the summer.  That kind of appeal won't stand I don't think.

Everyone just needs to move on and figure out the best way to reschedule the season.  We've known since December 2010 this would be played in the winter.

As for the promotion/relegation question, again, for me that's a non-starter.  Some Prem teams played 3 matches after the end of the Championship season last year.  What difference will 1 more week make?

• Admin

FIFA today:

"We will not apologise to clubs and leagues for disrupting their fixture programme. We have done nothing wrong. Clubs must just deal with it" (paraphrasing)

Not sure that is the right tone to take.

That's the kind of statement that might convince clubs & leagues to pursue other avenues.

I'd have thought something more along the lines of "We have a great deal of empathy for clubs & leagues effected by this decision but the players' safety is paramount. This is a one-off and we will not have another Winter World Cup. Please work with us to make it work" would have been more appropriate.

Would love the day to come that the major footballing nations pull out of FIFA, would imagine it would only take the ten largest to pull out to see this corrupt organisation crumble, saying that I would also imagine it's a lot easier said than done as FIFA must have some sort of financial penalties in contracts should a country's football association withdraw from a tournament or organisation!

In the event FIFA have broken the bid rules they themselves have drafted they would, if challenged correctly, not have much of a leg of mutton to stand on. Would be marvellous if Australia are joined by some heavy weights and this law suit gets traction and fast.. it will make for non stop football news through the summer ;)

p.s. i forgot to factor in bribery of lawyers working for or against FIFA... silly me.

I would not be at all disappointed if England did not qualify for this corrupt event. Everything about this is another example of how corrupt fifa is. If the Big teams in Europe did not qualify either then the world cup could have all the little rubbish countries in it. Like Malta,Lictenstein Morova,san marino,scotland,wales, Iceland and Quatar

It was stated somewhere that less than 20 players from Football League Clubs were selected for 2014 World Cup.

So why don't the Football League just state they are going to play a normal season, they would have 7 years to plan for this situation, and in 2022 could possibly gain increased attendances from supporters of PL clubs who are not playing, especially around Christmas.

Have UEFA stated what is going to happen for qualifying for Euro 2024, will some of these games be played before the World Cup or will it all be crammed in afterwards.? Is there an African Cup of Nations in January 2023?

I do see this decision as starting the demise of International Football, as clubs start putting pressure on players to retire from international football at a younger age.

It was stated somewhere that less than 20 players from Football League Clubs were selected for 2014 World Cup.

So why don't the Football League just state they are going to play a normal season, they would have 7 years to plan for this situation, and in 2022 could possibly gain increased attendances from supporters of PL clubs who are not playing, especially around Christmas.

Have UEFA stated what is going to happen for qualifying for Euro 2024, will some of these games be played before the World Cup or will it all be crammed in afterwards.? Is there an African Cup of Nations in January 2023?

I do see this decision as starting the demise of International Football, as clubs start putting pressure on players to retire from international football at a younger age.

Won't happen football will stop and will start again in this country on Boxing day.

I agree little reason now why the football league cannot continue. Certainly at least leagues one and two.

As for ACON, that is to move to the summer 2023 - which does mean no break for the African players. Re Euro 2024 I have no idea im afriad.

Australia don't have a domestic league of a decent standard 

Despite an Oz team (WS) winning the Asian Champions League last year? Whilst you may snub the competition it does contain the top Chinese and Japanese teams from leagues flooded with Brazilians and Portuguese. 

Archived