IGNORED

2022 - Chaos!

BS4 on Tour...

Don't know what the legalities are but would imagine that FIFA have rights and could sue UEFA and individual nations in the face of withdrawals. Would love to see the end of FIFA but surely they must have a legal basis for their control of World game. Anybody know?

I'd seriously doubt there is anything quite so strong: FIFA is a membership after all.

There will be ramifications to overcome for example how bullish your industry would be outside of FIFA, ensuring you don't breach any of FIFA's intellectual property etc, but it is unbelievable that FIFA can compel someone to be a member or that you'd owe them compensation for leaving unless you have signed up to be a member for a fixed period and there is some form of membership fee.

Football is one of the few remaining major sports which has not seen some form of breakaway. It can be done and frequently (normally) does happen.

A country that doesn't like football?[/

I watch a lot of Australian football as it's shown early morning, 6am ish onwards on Friday, Saturday and Sunday on BT Sport. It's really good, much better than you'd think. I actually prefer seeing it to some Stoke v Sunderland Premiership match. Andy Keogh plays for Perth Glory, Damien Duff is also playing out there and a few others. But to be fair they have some great young homegrown players, a few overseas but mainly they are Australian.

There doesn't seem to be any real superstars, no prima donnas. They play the game the right way, usually very quick paced and quite skilful, not as hit and hope as you might think. Like any league there are some teams better than others, I've got a couple of teams I like to watch out for.

The Australians also manage to cater for all. Lots of families but singing areas too, one team I think it's the Western Sydney Wanderers are especially good, singing, chanting and flag waving all match. Everybody at the matches seem to be eating and drinking all through as well as I've never seen a hint of trouble.

• Admin

I can't see any of the major European nations pulling out. I don't include England as a major nation, because in Football terms we're just also rans.

In footballing terms yes, but in marketing and TV revenue we are one of the big players, along with the other European leagues.

Will be interesting how the domestic leagues work around the dates

Should of clearly went to Australia in the first place.

I was hoping it would be awarded to the US. That would have been great traveling over for that.

That a bid from Qatar was even entertained at all, much less declared the winner, was a joke from the moment it was announced.

As others have stated already, it's all about money. FIFA may never remain any form of credibility following the last couple of years. The sad thing is that this lack of credibility won't matter one jot, and the money train will continue on down the track.

That's not true at all.

Australia don't have a domestic league of a decent standard so many of their better players head for Europe. That said football is attracting bigger and bigger crowds in Oz. It grown significantly since I was last here just 4 years ago.

They are a growing force.

You're in Australia now ? That's awkward because someone pointed out Robbored to me down the Gate a few years ago, and the person that I have been thinking was you all along , has been going to all the recent games.

You're in Australia now ? That's awkward because someone pointed out Robbored to me down the Gate a few years ago, and the person that I have been thinking was you all along , has been going to all the recent games.

I've been in in Oz almost 3 weeks but fly back on Friday. Mrs Robbo has two brothers who both live near Perth.we stay with one of them. We were here for 3 weeks 4 years ago on a similar visit.

Due to illness I've only been to two matches this season at AG so it probably wasn't me you saw

How convenient that Blatter will have likely been long gone by the time Qatar comes around.

Part of me actually finds it quite funny that the Premier League are throwing their toys out the pram. No-one can possibly mess around with their "product" and get away way it. Hilarious.

Let the greedy pigs commence battle against each other  :yawn:

I think that's what could happen. Do you really think UEFA will stand for the World Cup happening slap bang in the middle of the Champions League group stage? No chance. Presuming that the aforementioned legal challenge fails, I can imagine UEFA getting their members to withdraw from FIFA and setting up their own 'Invitational World Cup' in the summer of 2022. Then they'll turn round to the South American nations, USA and anyone else they fancy and say "you're welcome to come and play on our tournament but we'll not be releasing all your players for a tournament in November so make your choice". Doesn't matter how many votes you get from Africa if you no longer have control over the money required to buy them

And that is, literally, the bottom line. If UEFA countries pull out of the "FIFA World Cup", FIFA will be as broke as the Gas.

I'd seriously doubt there is anything quite so strong: FIFA is a membership after all.

There will be ramifications to overcome for example how bullish your industry would be outside of FIFA, ensuring you don't breach any of FIFA's intellectual property etc, but it is unbelievable that FIFA can compel someone to be a member or that you'd owe them compensation for leaving unless you have signed up to be a member for a fixed period and there is some form of membership fee.

Football is one of the few remaining major sports which has not seen some form of breakaway. It can be done and frequently (normally) does happen.

Actually, that's not true. Colombia broke away from FIFA (in the late 50's?) and hired several top players, including Di Stefano.

.... but on the positive side, if we can get to the Premier League by then and recruit a load of players not quite at international standard we could win the league that year...

COYR!

What difference will it make? The season will start earlier and finish later, won't be any football during the World cup.

What difference will it make? The season will start earlier and finish later, won't be any football during the World cup.

Crikey, it wasn't really a serious suggestion.

As we're on the subject not sure all competitions would stop - they certainly don't during ACON. Imagine the season starting in July - too close to the previous season and prime holiday period. Nightmare.

I've been in in Oz almost 3 weeks but fly back on Friday. Mrs Robbo has two brothers who both live near Perth.we stay with one of them. We were here for 3 weeks 4 years ago on a similar visit.

Due to illness I've only been to two matches this season at AG so it probably wasn't me you saw

There's only two Robboreds

the location of the tournament

Hmm? Football mad country with a long history of playing the sport, some cracking cities involved in Moscow, St Petersburg, Kazan, Volgograd etc, accessible with a decent climate in the summer months.. I accept that there are possible concerns over human rights abuses in Russia but it can hardly be compared with Qatar, a place where a backwards law says you will be stoned to death for adultery, homosexuality and blasphemy against islam. We shouldnt be putting a single penny into regimes like that. Id like to know how anybody could think Russia is a more controversial choice than Qatar.

I accept that there are possible concerns over human rights abuses in Russia but it can hardly be compared with Qatar

Or the US who may resort to waterboarding....

I agree Russia is an odd choice, but not one which is wholly inconceivable. For all the merits of a place like Russia, which you have listed and no need to repeat, there are real issues other than the human rights concerns. Russia is still logistically a bit of a nightmare to navigate. The transport infrastructure is frankly poor for a developed country. There is widespread corruption, still, there are visa difficulties and, since the award of the world cup, serious political tensions.

I can understand the decision to award a world cup to Russia, but it wouldn't have gotten my vote.

A country that doesn't like football?

I spent a few years in Australia when I was a wee lad, you wouldn't believe (even then back in early 2000s) how big football/''soccer'' is there. Games on the school grounds were like World Cup Finals. Even more popular now with their increased quality in the national squad.

I'd be proud of any country that boycotted it. Not just because of winter scheduling but because of the obscene modern day slavery which these cities (and events) are being built on. You couldn't pay me to set foot in Qatar or Dubai. Even by the money-grabbing standards of FIFA, bonded labour (that is, human beings whose entire waking lives are owned and exploited by their "employers" - like human battery hens) is a sickening step too far for the "people's game".

Archived