IGNORED

2022 - Chaos!

BS4 on Tour...

FIFA task force today recommends 2022 World Cup takes place in November and December.

It was a farce already!

Chaos!

Quite remarkable that they can award a bid without any real consideration as to when the world cup can take place. Sod all the undercover corruption, investigative reports: that the 2022 World Cup was awarded to Qatar and that in 2015 we have no fixed start time or consensus or downright insistence as to when it will take place is evidence enough that the organisation cares more about the highest bidder than sport and competition.

Would love the day to come that the major footballing nations pull out of FIFA, would imagine it would only take the ten largest to pull out to see this corrupt organisation crumble, saying that I would also imagine it's a lot easier said than done as FIFA must have some sort of financial penalties in contracts should a country's football association withdraw from a tournament or organisation!

And next comes the lawsuit from the losing bidders because the terms of the bid clearly state that the tournament must be held during the northern hemisphere summer. Australia have already intimated that they will make such a challenge

Should of clearly went to Australia in the first place.

Would love the day to come that the major footballing nations pull out of FIFA, would imagine it would only take the ten largest to pull out to see this corrupt organisation crumble, saying that I would also imagine it's a lot easier said than done as FIFA must have some sort of financial penalties in contracts should a country's football association withdraw from a tournament or organisation!

I think that's what could happen. Do you really think UEFA will stand for the World Cup happening slap bang in the middle of the Champions League group stage? No chance. Presuming that the aforementioned legal challenge fails, I can imagine UEFA getting their members to withdraw from FIFA and setting up their own 'Invitational World Cup' in the summer of 2022. Then they'll turn round to the South American nations, USA and anyone else they fancy and say "you're welcome to come and play on our tournament but we'll not be releasing all your players for a tournament in November so make your choice". Doesn't matter how many votes you get from Africa if you no longer have control over the money required to buy them

I think that's what could happen. Do you really think UEFA will stand for the World Cup happening slap bang in the middle of the Champions League group stage? No chance. Presuming that the aforementioned legal challenge fails, I can imagine UEFA getting their members to withdraw from FIFA and setting up their own 'Invitational World Cup' in the summer of 2022. Then they'll turn round to the South American nations, USA and anyone else they fancy and say "you're welcome to come and play on our tournament but we'll not be releasing all your players for a tournament in November so make your choice". Doesn't matter how many votes you get from Africa if you no longer have control over the money required to buy them

I agree that we are about to see a huge battle between UEFA and FIFA, and my money all day long would be on UEFA which is waking up to the fact that it holds all the prizes and assets which FIFA exploits.

My gut belief is that Russia will most likely be the last World Cup in its current sense, although I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't proceed given international relations.

I agree that we are about to see a huge battle between UEFA and FIFA, and my money all day long would be on UEFA which is waking up to the fact that it holds all the prizes and assets which FIFA exploits.

My gut belief is that Russia will most likely be the last World Cup in its current sense, although I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't proceed given international relations.

I could see a split happening before 2018; the carrot for Russia (UEFA members) would be "if you withdraw from FIFA and cancel the World Cup, we'll give you the rights to host our rival tournament". Of course that assumes that Putin hasn't started bombing Dorset by then and Europe is actually prepared to play a tournament there

very excellent point about the Champions League, we've just had the African Cup of Nations and to my immediate knowledge it started and finished in the Champions league's winter gap. Granted the domestic leagues still carried on.

Also considering the money that SKY and BT have just thrown at the Premier League, I imagine they wont throw the cash at the league again when this comes round if all the best players are playing on terrestrial TV in the World Cup, so the clubs wont be happy.

Has anyone considered that it could be quiet fun watching a world cup in the winter, and world cup final just before xmas day sounds great to me

It'll be great watching the World Cup but we won't get to watch any other footy- even if City aren't in the Premier League by then, I would think all the leagues would be synced up so there'd be nothing but rugby at Ashton Gate for about 8 weeks

A country that doesn't like football?

That's not true at all.

Australia don't have a domestic league of a decent standard so many of their better players head for Europe. That said football is attracting bigger and bigger crowds in Oz. It grown significantly since I was last here just 4 years ago.

They are a growing force.

No one will withdraw from FIFA and that is the problem.

personally I would abolish the organisation and have a yearly summit of all the confederations to make decisions.

It would take an alliance of all the heavyweight Eurpoean footballing nations for such a boycott to be taken seriously. Imagine the next World Cup without the holders.

Has anyone considered that it could be quiet fun watching a world cup in the winter, and world cup final just before xmas day sounds great to me

Have you considered that Qatar bid to hold and host a Summer world cup?

If Qatar's bid stated we would need to hold the tournament in the winter months then an evaluation as to the relative merits of that bid could be undertaken... but that wasn't and that wasn't the process, the process quite clearly was determined by some other means.

FWIW I get that a winter world cup could be quite enjoyable. But it will be a massively different experience. For starters the pub trades will be greatly effected, gone will be fans' parks in and throughout Europe where fans congregate on squares to watch matches, merchandise ordinarily sold will be vastly different, possibly less replica kits etc. IMO I think the summer is condusive to the festival feeling that you get from a World Cup. Hosting that during the winter, or late winter/early spring as is the current Cricket World Cup will detract from some of the euphoria.

It would take an alliance of all the heavyweight Eurpoean footballing nations for such a boycott to be taken seriously. Imagine the next World Cup without the holders.

I can't see any of the major European nations pulling out. I don't include England as a major nation, because in Football terms we're just also rans.

Italy, France, Spain and Germany don't have the same issues with Fifa that the English speaking nations seem to have.

personally I would abolish the organisation and have a yearly summit of all the confederations to make decisions.

I don't see why the major European nations would stay in FIFA as things stand; reduced TV pay outs for a disrupted season, a Champions League shorn of its biggest stars during the group phase, burnt out players needing to rest half the season, qualification for the Euro championships squeezed due to a World Cup taking place 6 months late. I struggle to see how UEFA members can agree to this and maintain the integrity and quality of their own competitions

personally I would abolish the organisation and have a yearly summit of all the confederations to make decisions

I don't agree. I think a withdraw is clearly on the cards and I don't think it is far away at all. The upcoming FIFA presidential elections could be the start, the Aussie legal challenge could be, a firm decision on a winter world cup could be.

The problem I see for FIFA is they some very big hurdles to come, one of which will see them trip.

When the world cup is in the summer, there are often complaints about "burn out" for the european based players, perhaps this would actually benefit them in that respect. 

Having said that, a country with antiquated laws regarding sexual orientation and human rights abuses really shouldn't have been given this tournament in the first place. UEFA should have put their foot down well before this, a boycott of the richest nations backed by the major european TV companies would decimate the tournament.

Don't know what the legalities are but would imagine that FIFA have rights and could sue UEFA and individual nations in the face of withdrawals. Would love to see the end of FIFA but surely they must have a legal basis for their control of World game. Anybody know?

I can't see any of the major European nations pulling out. I don't include England as a major nation, because in Football terms we're just also rans.

Italy, France, Spain and Germany don't have the same issues with Fifa that the English speaking nations seem to have.

Germany if anything has been at least as vocal as England in respect of disatisfaction with FIFA and has publicly stated it would consider a breakaway.

And England not a major nation is ridiculous. Like it or not, we ARE the major nation in football terms. Look at the value of the Premier League brand. Absolutely nothing comes close to it and nothing is close to challenging it, in terms of revenue, marketability and draw to players.

If the Premier League continued paying the wages it does and getting the receipts it does (no reason to suspect otherwise following a breakaway), players will still come here notwithstanding as a breakaway league a club would be very able to tell its players you will not be released for FIFA internationals. Do you bet that many players would flee in horror, or do you reckon the vast majority would acccept it, take their summer holidays, keep earning what they do (probably more), and perhaps play in a marquee tournament at the end of their career?

Like it or not the Premier League in itself is bigger than FIFA.

Archived