IGNORED

Death Sentence.

Red

I always have been and still am massively against the death penalty, but when things like this come around it definitely makes you reconsider things...

I'd be happy to see those convicted without doubt, ie Lee Rigby's, Killers, face the death penalty, what a waste of cash keeping those scum alive.

Killing them is more expensive than putting them in prison for life... not that it would be a waste of taxpayers money mind you.

...Killing them is more expensive than putting them in prison for life... not that it would be a waste of taxpayers money mind you.

How is killing them more expensive? Bullet to the head and done. Failing that, injection. Having them locked up with several guards watching over them and all the stuff that goes with that costs way more.

Sorry but there are some situations where I fully support the death penalty. Child murderers for one. A waste of oxygen that has no place on our planet.

How is killing them more expensive? Bullet to the head and done. Failing that, injection. Having them locked up with several guards watching over them and all the stuff that goes with that costs way more.

Sorry but there are some situations where I fully support the death penalty. Child murderers for one. A waste of oxygen that has no place on our planet.

Don't mean to sound condascending but this is completely wrong I'm afraid. Naturally, yes, bullet to the head, etc would be cheaper and more 'efficient', but unfortunately the rights to a fair trial, appeals process, etc (essentially everything that makes us a civilised country) means that the death penalty is always much more expensive than a lifetime in prison. Naturally you would argue that they don't deserve the right to appeal etc but remember, when you're killing someone you have to be 1,000,000% sure that you are correct in doing it, and that includes getting the correct person. This goes for the USA as well.

That's an easy way out for them though IMO.

I'd rather we go back to medevil methods for killers like this.

Lock them in a dark damp dungeon for the rest of their lives, let them never see daylight again. Chain them up and feed them scraps Of food and water. Give them a beating every day.

Lock them in a dark damp dungeon for the rest of their lives, let them never see daylight again. Chain them up and feed them scraps Of food and water. Give them a beating every day.

Or 5 mins alone with that poor girls Dad.....

I'm with you. I always thought I had a 'string the buggers up' attitude, only because life in prison meant tv, Internet, 3 meals a day, gym, laundry done, free medical care etc. So I've had a rethink and like your idea. I wouldn't bother with the beating though, wouldn't want anyone to waste energy on these scumbags. Would ask that the cell be only 4' square though.

If the state says that murder is wrong, then the state should not murder. Simple as that. Killing is barbaric, and I don't want the state to kill in my name, whoever it is.

Don't mean to sound condascending but this is completely wrong I'm afraid. Naturally, yes, bullet to the head, etc would be cheaper and more 'efficient', but unfortunately the rights to a fair trial, appeals process, etc (essentially everything that makes us a civilised country) means that the death penalty is always much more expensive than a lifetime in prison. Naturally you would argue that they don't deserve the right to appeal etc but remember, when you're killing someone you have to be 1,000,000% sure that you are correct in doing it, and that includes getting the correct person. This goes for the USA as well.

I'm not really following your logic as the person would have had a fair trial, appeals process (if new evidence comes to light) etc anyway, and then a lifetime of care in prison. Lee Rigby's killers for example were caught with absolutely no doubt they had committed such a horrific crime, unless they go down the route of pleading insanity. How would killing them be more expensive than keeping them alive in a secure prison for the rest of their lives?

I'm not really following your logic as the person would have had a fair trial, appeals process (if new evidence comes to light) etc anyway, and then a lifetime of care in prison. Lee Rigby's killers for example were caught with absolutely no doubt they had committed such a horrific crime, unless they go down the route of pleading insanity. How would killing them be more expensive than keeping them alive in a secure prison for the rest of their lives?

Some information on the costs here http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

There have been lots of recent examples where people have been convicted of Murder and later found innocent. Once you've killed them it's far to late. Troy Davies is a good example of someone being killed on flawed evidence.

I understand peoples desire to see the death penalty but it doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Once you start giving the state the power to kill it's own subjects it could

be a slippy slope. It also means that it makes it harder for us to challange countries that have the death penalty for other things such as being gay.

Lastly families who saw the murderers killed don't suddenly feel better and it doesn't necessarily give them closure. Personally I wouldn't want there to be more blood spilt if someone killed me or a loved one. I've had a murder Happen in the family and while I don't think all my family feel that way I don't think their pain would have been healed with the death of the perpetrator.

What's happened though is disgusting and truely awful. Nothing more can be said really.

******* BASTARDS....sometimes I think the rope is too good for these scum..a life in jail where every ****** con will try and maim them is probably as bad as hanging the ******s.

Rot in hell you bastards

Absolutely right. There's at least ten innocent Irish people who would have been hanged in the 70's due to police lies and dodgy judges.

Also Barry George plus God knows how many others.

The death sentence wasn't a deterrent for Brady and Hindley either.

I'm not saying that people who carry out these crimes don't deserve to hang but it's not a deterrent and there's still miscarriages of justice.

There have been plenty of studies; in general it is more expensive, 100%. Try the link posted above.

Scary how many people appear to have been involved!

I thought it was interesting how the uncle made a point of saying it was nothing to do with the fathers side of the family...

RIP

From what my missus has just told me from Facebook you were on the right track

It will never be brought back but I guess its good for people to have a view on it still. Do we only execute child murders and does that mean Michael Adeboloajo or the recent shooters would be exempt? If its just child murders, what about infanticide? I presume mental illness will have to play into it, like it does in Us states, not so attractively glamorously medieval like executions. We can always emulate the Gulf countries for that.

I haven't really posted because even after 13 odd years the memories of my friends murder comes backs after days like this.

However the one thing I always remember being told was 90% of victims know their murderer. A scary but accurate stat.

Would I bring the death penalty back even when I lost one of my closet friends - no

Named in the Mirror tonight as Nathan Matthews and Shauna Phillips.

And on local BBC news now, and I don't believe they would name if there were any doubt.

These names, their connection to Becky and their address was made known to me though a family member a few days ago.

Edit: Just for clarity,I am not related in any way to anyone involved.

And on local BBC news now, and I don't believe they would name if there were any doubt.

These names, their connection to Becky and their address was made known to me though a family member a few days ago.

Chris Jefferies anyone? Just remember innocent until proven guilty :).

Chris Jefferies anyone? Just remember innocent until proven guilty :).

That's true. But I think after that the media are a bit more careful, or at least they should be. Wasnt he named as he was her landlord and people thought he looked 'odd'. This was before they found Joanna's body too. This time they must have enough evidence to at least link the people and circumstances. The press get the tip of the iceberg, there is always loads more in such cases, much of it will never be known publicly.

I'm assuming you informed the police?

Archived