IGNORED

Clarkson Suspended

Esmond Million's Bung

Top gear is shown in every country apart from France. Will the beeb cut their noses of to spite their face. Clarkson and top gear will walk into any other tv company. The beeb cannot afford to lose it. The have bugger all else going for them that sells as well as that show.

Is that true?

Honestly, I have no idea and am simply curious.

But. If so, why only France? 

Is that true?

Honestly, I have no idea and am simply curious.

But. If so, why only France? 

I believe it's actually EU law and it's one for a change that France actually adheres to and there is a very simple reason protectionism of it's own satellite TV station, virtually all of sky available in the EU is obtained illegally, Brits who install systems find you a host address in the UK and add a bit on top for themselves for your monthly sky package payment, basically you pay them they pay sky, again sky don't give a fig because of the big bucks, but it is technically illegal.

I wonder if people would be less outraged if it turned out it was a woman he had aimed a punch at?

I love Top Gear, and regularly watch the show, but if any of us had done this, then we would expect to be suspended from work whilst an investigation took place.

:)

Dolly,

I believe seriously that, on a scale of outrage, it would be woman, dog (cat in your case  ;)) and then a man.

Just try and picture it on the TV news.

Man punches woman - shock, horror (and rightly so). Ditto dog (or cat or NLBR horse etc.).

Man punches man - so commonplace that it loses any impact. 

I wonder if people would be less outraged if it turned out it was a woman he had aimed a punch at?

I love Top Gear, and regularly watch the show, but if any of us had done this, then we would expect to be suspended from work whilst an investigation took place.

:)

Dolls,

I'm struggling to get this. It seems a wholly irrelevant comment.

I'm going to put it down to a bad day.

Dolls,

I'm struggling to get this. It seems a wholly irrelevant comment.

I'm going to put it down to a bad day.

I'm saying would so many people have signed a petition if the person he had hit was a woman because violence towards women is usually seen as much less acceptable.

Violence against anyone is wrong for the record.

I'm saying would so many people have signed a petition if the person he had hit was a woman because violence towards women is usually seen as much less acceptable.

The problem is 2 fold, the BBC is publicly funded and apart from the people who signed this petition, people who would allow Clarkson the latitude of microwaving a kitten live because they think he is funny, most people I feel don't feel this way and more importantly it happened in the workplace environment, there is quite likely to be a similar incident at the BBC where somebody lower down the food chain is involved and will be sacked on the spot with no enquiry.

For me Top Gear is unfunny and wholly predictable, how many times can you squeeze a laugh out of leaving the handbrake off on a slope?, deliberately banging into the others car on a challenge? or destroy a caravan?. I think that being on a final warning under the totting up process he has probably gone too far this time.

Not that I think hitting anyone is acceptable.. But if there is equality to be had, then everyone is entitled to be punched be  male or female.

I disagree and always have, that there is some sort of stigma of a man hitting a woman.

I don't agree with anyone hitting anyone, although understand it, and would probably hit someone myself if they killed a member of my family or fiddled with a child in my family.

Not that I think hitting anyone is acceptable.. But if there is equality to be had, then everyone is entitled to be punched be  male or female.

I disagree and always have, that there is some sort of stigma of a man hitting a woman.

I don't agree with anyone hitting anyone, although understand it, and would probably hit someone myself if they killed a member of my family or fiddled with a child in my family.

How interesting.

I respect your view and agree that hitting anyone is unacceptable.

Nevertheless, I maintain that hitting a woman or a child is worse than hitting a man.

Friday/Saturday night at chucking out time. 

Man hits man - 'Hey, calm down and go home'.

Man hits woman - shock/horror.

Perhaps it is an age thing.

How interesting.

I respect your view and agree that hitting anyone is unacceptable.

Nevertheless, I maintain that hitting a woman or a child is worse than hitting a man.

Friday/Saturday night at chucking out time. 

Man hits man - 'Hey, calm down and go home'.

Man hits woman - shock/horror.

Perhaps it is an age thing.

Exactly, for some reason there is shock horror when a man hits a woman, there is no shock horror when a woman hits a man.  The likelihood of a woman killing a man with a unlucky punch is just as likely as a man a killing a man with a unlucky punch or a man hitting a woman with a unlucky punch.

Hence if it is acceptable to punch then it is acceptable to punch anyone.  Clearly I do not include children here as they have not finished growing and the body is not as strong.

Either way hitting is unacceptable, but the whole it is acceptable for a man to hit a man and a woman to hit a man, but not a man hitting a woman  scenario is all rather baffling in my mind

Exactly, for some reason there is shock horror when a man hits a woman, there is no shock horror when a woman hits a man.  The likelihood of a woman killing a man with a unlucky punch is just as likely as a man a killing a man with a unlucky punch or a man hitting a woman with a unlucky punch.

Hence if it is acceptable to punch then it is acceptable to punch anyone.  Clearly I do not include children here as they have not finished growing and the body is not as strong.

Either way hitting is unacceptable, but the whole it is acceptable for a man to hit a man and a woman to hit a man, but not a man hitting a woman  scenario is all rather baffling in my mind

Even more interesting, and I am now convinced more than ever that this must be an age/generation problem.

The scenario of a woman punching a man just did not occur to me!

Even more interesting, and I am now convinced more than ever that this must be an age/generation problem.

The scenario of a woman punching a man just did not occur to me!

I'm not sure it is an age thing. I think it's wholly across the board. I suppose we can't drop the thinking that men are stronger than women and should be able to take it in reverse roles.

For the record, Clarkson is a**** and it disgusts me that the fact that there is a petition is bad enough, let alone the press coverage it's getting. We all know the BBC will buckle with this one. They can't afford not to. I

f I punched my boss I'd expect to be sacked.

TRL

Further to my earlier posts, and with apologies to Dolly, RedM and InTheNet (and other female posters whose names I may have forgotten), my (perhaps sexist) view is quite simple: man does not hit woman!

But likewise, woman should not hit man!

Of course, man should not hit anybody; but should he, in a moment of weakness, lose control, he most certainly should not hit woman, child or animal (and I am sure InTheNet would agree with the latter).

You say you find the whole man/woman/ punching scenario baffling, but just say No! 

Right.

Would you mind spelling things out a bit clearer for those of us not quite so on the ball!

And yes, violence is wrong. Unless it's tripping up a stupid Cardiff player on a wind up mission or a Wolf that's got too big for his boots.

TRL

Further to my earlier posts, and with apologies to Dolly, RedM and InTheNet (and other female posters whose names I may have forgotten), my (perhaps sexist) view is quite simple: man does not hit woman!

But likewise, woman should not hit man!

Of course, man should not hit anybody; but should he, in a moment of weakness, lose control, he most certainly should not hit woman, child or animal (and I am sure InTheNet would agree with the latter).

You say you find the whole man/woman/ punching scenario baffling, but just say No!

I agree. But in terms of equal opportunity that gets spouted a lot nowadays I wanted to bring a differing view to the subject.

Myself.... I was bought up not to hit women.. But society changes (as you suggest by stating you had never thought about women hitting men). And with that some of the older kept views have to change accordingly. Women are far more spiteful than men and you are more likely to get clumped with something harder than a fist!

Archived