IGNORED

Cotts: From Rags To Riches

AshtonGreat

Yet similar polls for McInnes and O'Driscoll would have had roughly opposite results; i.e. broad approval.

Certainly not being smug though, I was one of those not in favour of Cotterill. What it shows is that we are all perhaps too quick to make a judgement based on reputation and supposed past achievement. A good record at previous clubs gives no guarantee of success at future ones; likewise a mediocre past record doesn't mean that a manager can't learn from those experiences and be successful elsewhere in the future. For me, Cotterill's success here has taught me that getting the right manager has less to do with their past CV than it does getting the right fit for the club - and that extends to much more than tactical nous and their preferred style of play. It's also about getting the right personality who is able to work effectively with both the players and the board. At this time, Steve Cotterill and Bristol City appear to go together like peas and carrots. Long may it continue!

I'll stand by my conments and if you want to give me stick then so be it.

But whatever crap you bring up, even after 18 months, Susanna Reid is still a fine woman and and Deborah from everybody loves Raymond is lush.

She's still lush in The Middle.

Great thread.

I didn't vote but I was quietly disappointed, only because he seemed like one of those managers who just 'do the rounds'. I owe the man an apology!

Pretty much the same here but a while back Cotts gave an explanation of why it seems that he has 'done the rounds' and was very honest in the fact that in some cases he spat his dummy out and left because promises weren't kept and in other clubs, take-overs, meaning new owners basically forced him out. I think we all jumped to a conclusion without knowing the truth that he is in fact capable of building a balanced, attractive style playing team with plenty of flair and one hell of a team spirit!!

I didn't vote either. I can't see the point of it.

Being open minded I was comfortable with Cotterills appointment. All managers need time to get things right and SC first aim was to improve the league position he inherited and he did that. This season he's doing a terrific job and with several of his own signings.

I'll never understand posts like these, I mean what is the purpose of this thread? To make people look stupid using hindsight? To cause our own fans to argue amongst themselves? Or is it so those who back anyone without concern can be smug about backing Cotterill?

I will honestly say I was not excited with Cotterill, he didn't seem the right man for the job but he's proven me wrong and I'm very happy about that. That said Gary Johnson has had a fair few jobs where he's started strong as have many other managers but the real proof in the pudding comes with sustaining success after having a bad patch. Realistically Cotterill is still in what I'd call a honeymoon period, results are going his way at a very high success rate but the real test will come when confidence is knocked, as of yet it hasn't been.

I hope Cotterill can do a long term job and has that remotivating ability that GJ just doesn't appear to have and many other managers lack. Am I saying I don't rate Cotterill? No I'm not, the man has done an outstanding job to date but I am interesting to see how he copes when things don't go his way. 

I'll never understand posts like these, I mean what is the purpose of this thread? To make people look stupid using hindsight? To cause our own fans to argue amongst themselves? Or is it so those who back anyone without concern can be smug about backing Cotterill?

I will honestly say I was not excited with Cotterill, he didn't seem the right man for the job but he's proven me wrong and I'm very happy about that. That said Gary Johnson has had a fair few jobs where he's started strong as have many other managers but the real proof in the pudding comes with sustaining success after having a bad patch. Realistically Cotterill is still in what I'd call a honeymoon period, results are going his way at a very high success rate but the real test will come when confidence is knocked, as of yet it hasn't been.

I hope Cotterill can do a long term job and has that remotivating ability that GJ just doesn't appear to have and many other managers lack. Am I saying I don't rate Cotterill? No I'm not, the man has done an outstanding job to date but I am interesting to see how he copes when things don't go his way. 

You question the validity of the thread and then justify it by fully participating!! Priceless  :clap:

Archived