IGNORED

Jet

TomBCFCUK

Both very different players in very different situations. It's difficult to compare Stead and Agard when the latter is playing at a level below in a side firing on all cylinders.

Seeing as Stead has spent the majority of this season on loan at Bradford in the same division as us I'd argue that you could.

Stead has scored 4 league goals in 21 games for Bradford (19 starts), Agard has scored 9 in 30 (26 starts).

Leaving aside the division we ended up in.

But that's me concentrating on the results when I should be thinking about the performance.

Which were the most god-awful I can recall under any manager ever.

He left us facing relegation to L2. Best not forget that.

mcwinless left us bottom of the championship

Sod left us bottom of league 1

in old money that means mcwinless left us in a better postion, he also didn't break the record of longest period without a win SoD managed that one all by himself

Sorry fellas I didn't make that remark very clear.

I don't think anyone can dispute the desperate state SOD left us in with regards to run of results, relegation and league position. We were obviously in a worse situation in that regard then we were when McWinless left. What I was referring to was on a playing personnel side of things I felt SOD left us in better shape. For example he signed a lot of players that are part of this seasons squad, plus he signed young players with the potential to improve. Del left us with a large squad full of journeymen and deadwood. Either way two dreadful manager's for us and thankfully we have moved on from those dark days.

Seeing as Stead has spent the majority of this season on loan at Bradford in the same division as us I'd argue that you could.

Stead has scored 4 league goals in 21 games for Bradford (19 starts), Agard has scored 9 in 30 (26 starts).

Sorry Graham I was trying to compare the love in for Stead during his time here, not on this seasons. Now you mention it though it is interesting that Stead appears to be more accepted than Agard does off the back of the stats you mention above. I think Stead is just popular as he was the driving force behind our survival in what was a shockingly bad season. Apart from the last few months of the first season under Del his time with us was pretty average in all honesty. City fans love a trier though.

Every one is born different, physically we take on one of three traditional traits and body shapes.

Some people can learn to be athletic and teach themselves stamina, it takes time, practice abc a lot of work and failure.

Some people however hard they try, oh and they do try CANT EVER obtain this part of their game, however talented they are.

Some can run all day and have all the talent in the world.

For all JET's hardwork, he will never posses natural stamina and athleticism, for all the trying in the world.

That is where the problem lays.

If he was t such a talented, skilled footballer we'd not even have ever heard his name mentioned.

Forget the "he's got an attitude problem", or he's "a raver" or whatever?

It's as simple as this, he's not a natural athlete designed to play football for 90 minutes, unless as he showed last season and glimpses this season you let him play his natural game, trust me it's not laziness when yoube got nothing left to give. You can't ALWAYS TEACH FITNESS.

This comes from personal experience and a lot of time training other people and myself.

Every one is born different, physically we take on one of three traditional traits and body shapes.

Some people can learn to be athletic and teach themselves stamina, it takes time, practice abc a lot of work and failure.

Some people however hard they try, oh and they do try CANT EVER obtain this part of their game, however talented they are.

Some can run all day and have all the talent in the world.

For all JET's hardwork, he will never posses natural stamina and athleticism, for all the trying in the world.

That is where the problem lays.

If he was t such a talented, skilled footballer we'd not even have ever heard his name mentioned.

Forget the "he's got an attitude problem", or he's "a raver" or whatever?

It's as simple as this, he's not a natural athlete designed to play football for 90 minutes, unless as he showed last season and glimpses this season you let him play his natural game, trust me it's not laziness when yoube got nothing left to give. You can't ALWAYS TEACH FITNESS.

This comes from personal experience and a lot of time training other people and myself.

Nail on the head there Yorkshire JET's never going be able to run around for 90+ minutes every game he just wasn't built for it but what he does possess is a great deal of talent and skill that is upto the manager to harness and use to the advantage of the team, from what I've seen and heard/read JET has improved his fitness to the maximum possible for his build and to my eyes looks a far leaner and fitter than last season which is great credit to the people we have working behind the scenes, I hope that he's shown enough to earn a new contract in SC's eyes as he'll be an asset to us in the Championship that will win us games as he has this season.

JET will perform at the big matches I reckon, with the rest of the team up for it too then that should help him.  JET at Wembley should be a sight to see, he'll be going for it.  Just hope the others see his vision when it comes to passing, I realise he had off games but the ones where he's on it I just feel some of the forwards are not reading the game the same way as him. 

Again, as on all of these threads, I will state that JET is a player that I personally enjoy watching.  I haven't seen as many games as most so you may disregard my opinion!

People say of JET: what does workrate matter when he can score goals and create assists? My question is, why do the two things have to be mutually exclusive? It's not the 1970s any more, when maverick players could afford to bumble around for much of the game before 'turning it on' with a dazzling run and a screamer into the top corner in injury time. In this day and age, you really need both guile and graft - look at the winner of this year's Ballon d'Or for a good example.

People say of JET: what does workrate matter when he can score goals and create assists? My question is, why do the two things have to be mutually exclusive? It's not the 1970s any more, when maverick players could afford to bumble around for much of the game before 'turning it on' with a dazzling run and a screamer into the top corner in injury time. In this day and age, you really need both guile and graft - look at the winner of this year's Ballon d'Or for a good example.

I take it you're looking for a few whooshes on this one! :)

Winner of the Ballon d'or vs third division West Country team?  

Not having a go just curious why you think at our level we could have both?

Personally I think our squad has some very, very good players.  Freeman and Ayling spring instantly to mind but the price of strikers, that can do the job of JET and Agard in one package are prohibitive to a team at our level, they'd rather warm the bench higher up the table.

Winner of the Ballon d'or vs third division West Country team?  

Not having a go just curious why you think at our level we could have both?

Personally I think our squad has some very, very good players.  Freeman and Ayling spring instantly to mind but the price of strikers, that can do the job of JET and Agard in one package are prohibitive to a team at our level, they'd rather warm the bench higher up the table.

Fair point, I suppose. Although JET probably could play at a higher level if he put his back into it. He reminds me of my old school reports: 'has the talent but is lazy'.

Fair point, I suppose. Although JET probably could play at a higher level if he put his back into it. He reminds me of my old school reports: 'has the talent but is lazy'.

JET can be lazy and that's where good man management comes into it to get him motivated enough for the small games and not just the big games when he wants to perform and also making sure that you give him clear instructions to what his role is in the match and keep him focused on what you need from him, if you can do that we'll have a even better player than what we have already and he might make the most out of his career rather than just drifting from team to team picking up a half decent wage but you will need to drill it into him make him see the vision of playing in bigger better competitions with a little extra bit graft.

Just stating an opinion, but as another poster stated earlier in the thread I don't believe he's lazy, I think he's actually doing what he has to do.  He's a Big Unit and has to conserve his energy, he knows that his game turns on his skill and not running ability, he will conserve it when he feels he can or not waste it on lost causes.  That may not suit a certain game or a certain formation but we are lucky to have seen a player of that technical ability in a City shirt.

Again I add my usual disclaimer that I really enjoy seeing him on the pitch.

JET is quick in short bursts, really skilful, we should be very proud of having him on our team sheet

a lot of people say if it wasn't for JET then we'd have been relegated last year. That's probably correct if you took away the goals here scored. But anyone on here that went to crewe away last season will back me up here by confirming that JET was terrible. He did nothing. A fat sunday league player would have put in more effort. It was embarrassing and unbelievable to watch. He missed a 1 on 1 in the first minute and it was like he decided that it wasn't going to be his day so gave up. He litterally did nothing other than give the ball away after that. The other 9 outfield players had to do the work of 10 and we lost 1-0. Now that's just 1 away game. How many other times has his happened and we've not witnessed it because it was away etc. I also remember that the very next game was home to Brentford on a Tuesday night and he was equally as poor. It's alright saying yeah but he scores goals, how many more points did we drop through the team having to do his work too? There's no doubt he is technically fantastic and if he had agards enthusiasm, energy and effort levels he'd be probably be playing in the champions league. He's the sort of player you want in your team when you are 2-0 up but he's best used as a impact player from the bench in the tougher games. I'd offer him a new contract for next year but he'd need to understand that he wouldn't be first choice in the championship. We can't afford to carry players in that league

Just stating an opinion, but as another poster stated earlier in the thread I don't believe he's lazy, I think he's actually doing what he has to do.  He's a Big Unit and has to conserve his energy, he knows that his game turns on his skill and not running ability, he will conserve it when he feels he can or not waste it on lost causes.  That may not suit a certain game or a certain formation but we are lucky to have seen a player of that technical ability in a City shirt.

Again I add my usual disclaimer that I really enjoy seeing him on the pitch.

JET is quick in short bursts, really skilful, we should be very proud of having him on our team sheet

Fair points again, although I'm not sure being a big unit equates to not having much energy. I'm a big guy and when I play football I have more energy than most people on the pitch - not that I quite have JET's skill set (!) but I like to think I've got fairly decent tekkers :-)

id rather have him in our squad than see our defenders playing against him.

our defence is flippin good but Jet could outdo any of them on his day, along with just about any other defender he tried to beat in this league.

a frightening prospect for opposition managers knowing we have him to bring on against tired legs

Both were terrible managers who left us in the shit.  Both came in with good reputations but ultimately failed. Mciness has found his level and SOD has found himself a good job in the England set up.

They were not "terrible managers". Sure both didn't work out with us but since McInness has returned North he's doing a decent job at Aberdeen.

SoD didn't "find himself a good job" he was taken on and employed by the FA. Why? Because he's a top coach and being out of the public eye in the FA set up his attitude towards the media don't come into question.

They were not "terrible managers". Sure both didn't work out with us but since McInness has returned North he's doing a decent job at Aberdeen.

SoD didn't "find himself a good job" he was taken on and employed by the FA. Why? Because he's a top coach and being out of the public eye in the FA set up his attitude towards the media don't come into question.

Maybe he meant they were terrible for us.

Although strangely the basic skills of lots of our players actually appeared to go backwards during the reign of this "top coach".

Curious and curiouser. Still, I suppose you only have to have enough people repeat something they've heard without questioning it and it becomes a "fact".

Fair points again, although I'm not sure being a big unit equates to not having much energy. I'm a big guy and when I play football I have more energy than most people on the pitch - not that I quite have JET's skill set (!) but I like to think I've got fairly decent tekkers :-)

Come back whenever you want Matt !

I think the opposite actually Monk, Wilbraham is a very clever player, he knows he doesn't have pace but his touch and vision is first class and I think he will be a great partner for JET.

Wilbra and JET please Cotts :)

Archived